Thread: Last week summary and first Seeded Hunt

Elite Member

Last week summary and first Seeded Hunt

Got in several hunts last week hi-lited by a 1936 FDR political pin, 3 Mercs a Rosie, 1 War Nickel a V nickel (in cleaning solution no photo) and 23 wheat pennies (also soaking). Also had an unusual clad week finding $22.12 in change including a clad half spill of 2 coins. The seeded hunt occurred Saturday. I had my reservations about doing one of these but it was a new memorial hunt for a member of a club who passed away. I am glad I did it as it was really well run and I had a good time. There were 3 hunts. The 1st hunt was a warm up hunt which had a bunch of foreign coins (including some silver canadian coins, US wheats and a Geo cache inclusion, which had wheat pennies painted yellow that had coordinate numbers on them. Of course I found a bunch of these as I had no clue and no way of figuring out the location of the prize, it was still fun. Second hunt was full of some newer US silver , nickels (buffalo, war nickels and V nickels) some older foreign coins and Indians and wheat pennies. This was another fun hunt. The last hunt was a pretty big event. Brass tokens were hidden with lots of US silver and clad coins. The top brass token prize was a US $1 gold coin. I didn't win the gold coin but I did get a nice packet of stuff included in the photo. Day also included free Lunch and soda and water all day. All in all this was a great event. Got to admit I did not think a seeded hunt was going to be this fun. Wisconsin Digger
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I have always wanted to do a seeded hunt but have never had the opportunity. Looks like a lot of fun.

Congrats on your regular hunts too…you did well!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Sounds like it was a blast! I too always wanted to do a seeded hunt. So much silver!! Huge congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow, the regular hunt was nice, but that seeded hunt sounded like a blast! I've seen some videos of seeded hunts and competitions with categories like your geo cache and even speed hunts, so have a good idea how they can go.

Also, I didn't know there were any clubs left in Wisconsin. Is this club still active, and anywhere near the SE part of the state? I know there's a prospecting club about an hour away from me, but not a whole lot of gold here (although I did find a couple flakes panning locally ).
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Elite Member
    The club was N.E.W Detecting Club and I think they are out of Appleton or Green Bay. They are on Facebook if you want to check them out. Thx Dave
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a great year so far Dave and a successful seeded hunt. I follow the NEW a club on FB. They seem to be a good group of active members. Too bad it’s in the Fox Valley area.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Congrats on a great year so far Dave and a successful seeded hunt. I follow the NEW a club on FB. They seem to be a good group of active members. Too bad it’s in the Fox Valley area.
    Yes, that's quite a bit of a drive for me, and probably you as well. We really need a club in our area covering SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois.
    As a side note, glad to see you survived the Ryder cup!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

DOD - I am on the Facebook page for NEW Metal Detecting. It is a good group of people. They have monthly meetings in Menasha. There is a small group in SE WI that meets in Cudahy, but doesn't seem to be all that well put together. I haven't been, so I shouldn't judge. Since I am from NEW, I might go up there at sometime to attend a meeting.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.