Thread: Audio Nuance Multi Freq

Audio Nuance Multi Freq

Happy Winter, Everyone!
    Does anyone know if multi frequency makes us give up some audio nuance? The reason I ask is that my old T2 (in 2+) seemed better than my Nox (5 tones) at telling me target depth/size. Also, the videos I've seen of the multi frequency Deus2 don't seem to perform as well as my old T2 when it comes to letting me know how deep/large the target is. Even the pin-pointer is worse. Thanks in advance for light shed!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I don't know if my input can be of any value here as I've never used either of those machines. But in comparison between my single frequency 705 and the 3030, I would have to say there's a bit of give and take.

On the side of the 705, in clean soil or areas with targets that have some decent space between it's a lot easier to gauge depth and size, plus there seems to be a bit more accuracy as to what metal range it is. But in trashy areas or mineralized soil the single frequency gives up a lot of performance due to limits on adjustability. I personally could never really tell if I was over a partially obscured good target such as a coin with a nail over or close to it. In cases like that all bets were off.

With the 3030, of course the clean targets pick up nice and clean unless at the edge of detection limits. Once the detector was dialed in for the conditions, sizing and depth are usually spot on. Of course a dime at 10 inches doesn't appear the same as it does at 1 inch, and size of the target does play a factor in depth reading. It also has more falsing at the edges of iron giving that low iron grunt followed by a high peep which is very often the same signal as a partially obscured target such as the above example. But the multi frequency and multi target capability on the screen often helps screen out the difference.

I have a technique I use to help determine size of questionable targets that apply to both machines, like trying to tell if something is a beer can lid or a coin. I use the slow sweep signal to signal loss one way, then again at 90 degrees from the first sweeps. I also do this with the coil at the ground, and then raised maybe 6 inches or so. The sweeps can indicate size by the length of the sweep, and also can tell if it's the same in both directions to indicate shape as well. Often a deeper coin or small target will lose signal with the raised coil while something larger wont, even if they do appear to be the same size on screen.

In summary, I think the multi frequency machines overall are better performers, especially when dialed in just right for the conditions. I do think the multi frequency machines do lose some depth and speed over the single frequency machines, so maybe in some situations like hunting a farm field without so many targets where you dig everything, then the single frequency would be the best.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

"...the 705, in clean soil or areas with targets that have some decent space between it's a lot easier to gauge depth and size [than the 3030], plus there seems to be a bit more accuracy as to what metal range it is." YES! That's exactly what I'm talking about...you'd think a $2500 detector could do better than the 705 in those areas. But I guess, like you said, you have to give up something to get those deep ones.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew