Thread: Found A Different Kind of Relic

Found A Different Kind of Relic

While going through the vast accumulation of "stuff" at my parents' house recently I discovered this invoice for the Garrett metal detector that my dad bought way back in 1968! I must admit that I was somewhat shocked at how much they paid for it, they were on a limited income and that was a lot of money to them back then.

Dad says he ordered it from an ad he saw in one of the treasure hunting magazines. As I have mentioned before, I still have that metal detector with both coils and the instruction manual. I put new batteries in a few weeks ago but I could not get it to turn on.

Just thought I'd share. This had to have been one of the very first Garrett metal detectors!

Name:  1968 INVOICE.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  51.8 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's cool. My dad has one of the older models and it still works. I had him try my AT Pro a bunch of years back and he couldn't believe how deep coins could be.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

That is an interesting relic there! You should post a pic of the detector too. Imagine what you could find back then if you had your eTrac in the late 60's? Heck you could go to the bank and get rolls of half dollars and you would be guaranteed to get all silvers in 1968 (was 1968 the last year for 40% silver halves?).
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Some pix of the detector and associated ephemera.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  67.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0615.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0614.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  119.4 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

So interesting, Tony! I remember using mechanical type writers. Did dad make any cool finds? What was your first detector?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    So interesting, Tony! I remember using mechanical type writers. Did dad make any cool finds? What was your first detector?
    My first detector was this one! I kind of assumed possession of it after my parents lost interest. I don't remember any cool finds with it other than an Indian Head Cent which my mom and dad got very excited about for some reason. Other than that just some common coins but many of them silver.

My second detector was a Whites Coinmaster 5000/D. Man, that thing wore your arm out! I bought it used in 1981. After that I bought a Fisher 1260-X and the quality of my finds increased dramatically.
    Lifetime totals:

Those are some cool pics of that machine. That off center concentric coil is interesting. I have to wonder since you have all of that paperwork and the detector looks in great shape (other than not being able to turn on), if it is worth today what your Dad paid for it in 1968?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Can't say I ever swung my coil over one of those babies. Sweet find Tony! That wasn't cheap money back then either.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice Drew. Save it for another 50 years and your kids can take it to some future edition of Antiques Roadshow! You've got the invoice and all the documentation - so, you know, it may be worth more than $189 by then!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Elite Member
    Great posting. I still have my Garrett Groundmaster from the early to mid '70's. I borrowed it to a friend to find tree nails when cutting and it has not worked since. Still, it is nice to hang on too. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes