Thread: First hunt of 2022

First hunt of 2022

Hello all,

I got out as promised to hunt the old brewery grounds. Unfortunately it didn't go anywhere near as good as hoped. Pretty much skunked actually, and yeah, I did find quite a few pull tabs and a couple old beer cans. I did hunt a few areas that gave a few iffy signals but it turned out the ground was still frozen solid, so I will certainly have to go back later in the year. But the oldest building is on a newer foundation, and the ground has all been replaced. The other area I had hopes for I found had also been replaced, terraced and reinforced with erosion mat. There was also one connected flat grassy lot that is mostly fill dirt. I'll have to investigate more to see if there's any other possible untouched islands on the property that may hold something.
    I did manage to find a slightly wet and muddy cell phone that actually still worked once charged up. Unfortunately it's locked in the highest security setting so unable to get any info to trace the owner. Guess I have a new phone once I hack into the root and factory reset it! I also found a bullet and a brass number tag. I had one heart stopping moment early in where I thought I may have found a trime, but turns out it was only a tiny aluminum disc.
    After lunch I packed up and went back to my fallback being the old zoo. There I managed to pick up a handfull of pocket change, an old brooch that had seen better days, and my first silver of the year, a 1942 Merc.
    Thanks for reading, and happy hunting!

Name:  Brooch.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  90.3 KBName:  House.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Pile.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  83.5 KBName:  Sign.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  92.1 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Sorry about your luck at the brewery. Sometimes the sites we have the highest hopes for end up being the biggest disappoinments. Maybe you will have better luck there after the ground thaws more. It also looks like some of the prime detecting areas may be under asphalt.

Congrats on your first silver of the year! I hope it is the first of many!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Sorry about your luck at the brewery. Sometimes the sites we have the highest hopes for end up being the biggest disappoinments. Maybe you will have better luck there after the ground thaws more. It also looks like some of the prime detecting areas may be under asphalt.

Congrats on your first silver of the year! I hope it is the first of many!
    Yes, most of all the historic open areas are now paved under. Right behind the old house is where their brewery was located until a couple years ago until it was razed to make way for even more parking lot.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Sorry to hear it! Is that "24" a tool tag? That zoo has been good to you though! I hope there's more space there for you.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Sorry to hear it! Is that "24" a tool tag? That zoo has been good to you though! I hope there's more space there for you.
    It's guessing that the tag is off a key for something. The zoo almost always gives up something, even if it's just a couple wheats. Those finds are becoming few and far between, but the park is massive so lots of areas to work. I've got a pretty good idea where things were when it was in operation judging by the finds. Seems wherever there was a vendor, there were lots of coins. Picnic areas would have scattered coins and miscellaneous relics. The animal enclosure sites have lots of mechanical parts like plumbing, decorative fasteners, lots of wire, nails, etc.
    As finds are getting fewer, seems the best places are the most miserable to hunt as they are the current picnic areas which are absolutely loaded with trash. But even then I usually might only find 1 or 2 good finds out of hundreds of holes.
    Equipment:

Hope your next outting there is better. It is always disapointing to detect a place you had high hopes for and then its a dud. But like you said, maybe there are a few untouched islands of property where you will find some treasure.

Congrats on the silver to start your year.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Good to get out none the less. I think the ground should be pretty thawed after this weekend as I am hitting a lot of thawed ground already. I think we had a deeper frost this year over last year. Thx for posting. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Well DOD, maybe some of the iffy signals were left behind by others. I bet it was still better than a day of work though!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.