Thread: A nice surprise

Elite Member

A nice surprise

Wisconsin weather has turned again and is cold, windy and drizzly but still detectable. I was planning a closer hunt but changed my mind in route to an even closer hunt (about 7 miles away). Usually little to no chance of silver here but it does pop up once in a while. Started with all clad and decided to hunt the baseball field near the outfield fence. Was quite fortunate to find a Rosie on the inside of the fence and a Mercury just outside of the fence. Figured that was as good as it could get and headed back to my car across the baseball field. I dug a signal that usually turns out to be a wheatie but when I dug it I saw a bigger silver disc. It was smooth so I figured it was one of those electrical box knockouts. I flipped it over and saw a Mercury stuck to the back and so I looked closer at the bigger disc. It is my new "most worn" Barber quarter (1895), what a pleasant surprise. Can't do much better than that luck on a crappy weather day. Wisconsin Digger Lost my Camera and the backup does not want to focus very well but you can make out the Barber.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Heck of a hunt! 1800s silver is awesome.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That's a pretty nice surprise for sure! Being that it was in the middle of a baseball field makes me wonder if it was fill dirt from somewhere else? I've run across that a couple times finding things that certainly didn't belong where they were found but likely had been transported in with dirt from somewhere else.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Congrats on the old silver! Not many old quarters around. Keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Man, I don't get on the forum for a week and WD is "money" with the finds. Congrats to you sir!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.