Thread: Found an old seated last night!

Found an old seated last night!

Last night I went out to a fairground that dates back to the mid 1880's for a short hunt. I was not expecting much as most of the place has be regraded and gravel/asphalt shavings are everywhere it seems. I have found a fair amount of barbers the last couple years in the few areas that are natural. So as I was heading to one of these natural areas I crossed a large patch of fill dirt and came across a really shallow penny signal. I decided to dig it and when I picked it up I rubbed it and it shined up and had a date of 1853! I was in shock of course. She is very slick but I am thrilled.

Name:  IMG_E0431.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  148.1 KB

At this point I realized I better dig all the coin signals in this area (and other areas at this place now). Soon I came across a 20 signal and thought it might be an indian but out pops a small silver coin! It is a crusty 1880 Canadian 5 cent or "Fishy".
    Name:  IMG_E0432.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  148.5 KB

Name:  IMG_E0440.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  IMG_E0439.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  103.6 KB

I also found a 1919 Buff, a 1900 indian and a couple wheats. It was a fun hunt!

Here are my finds for 2022 so far. I have been detecting a couple times a week lately and I have been able to get some private permissions which is always exciting.
    Name:  IMG_E0438 (2).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  121.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_E0434.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0433 (2).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  147.9 KB

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

You are doing very well, Jared! That button looks interesting and is in good shape. What is it? Congratulations on the very old silver!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well that is a nice surprise Jared. Congrats on the seated!! Off to a great start this year as well!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Awesome finds Jared! Always great to see shiny in the hole, and lots better when it's something old. Looks like you're off to a great start for the year, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Very nice year so far. Congratulations!

There's nothing like finding a seated coin, and when it's an older seated (with arrows!) it's even better! That one has seen a lot of circulation. If only it could talk!

The Canadian Fish Scale is a great find too! That's a coin that is on my bucket list.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    Great finds. Congrats on the Seated and all the finds for the year. I am assuming Michigan has been awful slow to warm up just like Wisconsin, so considering I would say you are off to a good start despite the weather. Congrats WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thanks guys!
    Drew - the button is a Scottish Militia button..."First Royal Lanark". I think they go way way back but mine is probably from the early 1900's since the back is iron. I could not find an exact match of it on google though.
    WD - Michigan is thawed out but the temps have been below normal here. I am heading up north next week to do some detecting and fishing. The ground should be thawed out I hope...maybe I should do another contest?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Excellent Jared! I count 14 pieces of silver for you this year so far. Well, that's 14 ahead of me - just racking up coppers right now. You are a true silver hound.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great finds! Off to a solid start this year!!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.