Thread: Ox knobs

Ox knobs

Hiya,
    I have a hypothesis that ox knobs were mostly a 19th century, into the 20th century thing. The inside screw looks difficult to produce for colonial times. Does anyone know?
    Thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Something else to ponder, why don't we find them here in the midwest? In 40+ years of detecting I've never found one, nor do I know anyone who's found one around here. Curious.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's really interesting. This tool does not seem to exist in Europe. Or I don't know the name. The question of dating is even more exciting.

I suspect ox knobs were more of a cultural item, or maybe a regional fad? The East coast seems to have had more English and French settlers early on, and Irish towards the mid to late 1800s. In the Midwest it was more a wave of German and Polish settlers. So maybe either the Germans and Polish had enough sense to get out of the way of the Oxen, or were they not smart enough to use the knobs? We may never know...
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I suspect ox knobs were more of a cultural item, or maybe a regional fad? The East coast seems to have had more English and French settlers early on, and Irish towards the mid to late 1800s. In the Midwest it was more a wave of German and Polish settlers. So maybe either the Germans and Polish had enough sense to get out of the way of the Oxen, or were they not smart enough to use the knobs? We may never know...
    I think you're probably onto something. Being a cultural item or regional fad would explain why we don't find them here in the Midwest. Certainly they used oxen here, I've seen them in many local historical photos.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I think you are close on the dates Drew. Maybe they reach back into the 18th century a bit. I recall reading they were used to prevent the oxen from goring each other while they yoked in tandem. Oxen were expensive pieces of equipment back in the day. I can see wanting to protect your major investment. As to why they seem "regional", maybe in the later years as the wave of white settlers pushed further west they didn't yoke the oxen so close together and there wasn't a big threat of them goring each other ???
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Oxen were used earlier and then they start with horses and the the "iron horse" around 1900. John Deere at that time gave away some of the first tractors and farmers loved them. Once that happened, oxen were not used anymore. Horses were way easier to use as farming, but oxen were mostly used to haul things and a bit of farming. Oxen also cannot go a long ways, so that is why horses were mostly used. We don't see them in the Midwest because frankly they couldn't make the trip from the East Coast. Let's just say technology was a faster progress versus oxen being slowly heading Westward.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Thanks for all the input, guys! As to the midwest issue, maybe those places got going after the reaper was invented in 1834 which only used horses. I know people inhabited the Firelands in Ohio before that, but even that didn't get going until after the War of 1812.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Its funny that this post was made because I was just detecting last week and seen a large number of Oxen in some fields near some cellars we were detecting , you almost don't see them anymore and here was a beautiful stone walled field with maybe a dozen or more grazing . The view must of been similar to what people saw about 200 years ago , we all took a moment to watch.

I agree with some of the sentiments here , oxen were extremely valuable to their owner's and their health and care was a priority for the family's survival . They were used to clear stone and wood from land , plow and plant fields , maintain roads , pull equipment , wagons and even help construct buildings but as horses and mules gained in popularity and abundance oxen took a back seat because of their immense size , slowness and dangerous horns and temperament.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

How about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Wow, now that's a pair of show knobs!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Name:  oxknobs.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  64.9 KBwish they didn't sound so good in the ground !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I like that idea for presentation!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew