Thread: West Mobile, Alabama

West Mobile, Alabama

Hello to all,

I am new to the Mobile, Alabama area and am interested in meeting some fellow detectorists to go hunting with
    whether it be land or beach. I am over on the west side of the Bay. I have been hunting since the mid-1970s.
    That was the end of the BFO era and transition into the TR-VLF discriminator age. That was back when detectors had personalities. Backpackers, Coin Hustlers, Red Barons, Judges, Groundhogs, Daytonas, Goldmasters, Mavericks, Mustangs,
    Treasure Hawks. Good ol' days.

If you are new to Metal detecting, I would be happy to teach you some basics that will greatly increase
    your chances of uncovering some nice finds.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by kamogawa; 06-15-2022 at 10:45 AM.

WOW!! Brian! You've spent your life in the hobby!! Such wonderful pictures! Did you move to Mobile from KY? I'm interested to know, with all your experience, what do you swing now? I hope you find a nearby partner!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum , only person I know In Alabama is Heath Jones from "History Seekers" although I'm not sure what part of the state he's in . He's a very nice gentleman and does some good videos , he just sold me a Deus 2 at a good price .I wish you well in your new area and hope you find someone and passionate about the hobby as you sir!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hey Drew!

I went from Kentucky to Indiana to Alabama. The move down here was a logistic undertaking. I am excited about the opportunities for detecting around here. Right now it is so hot out that I can't plan on too much though. Hoping to find a detecting buddy in the meantime so we can plan a future excursion.

Thanks Dan! I will check out Heath's videos. It sounds like they will be educational.

Looks like you are veteran of this fun hobby! Hope you find a detecting partner and post some great finds.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks! I'm sure detecting in Alabama will be quite a bit different that hunting in Indiana and Kentucky.

Welcome to AD! I can't help with the buddy a I'm at the other end of the country in Wis. But I'm guessing that you should have a ton of great detecting opportunities with the rich history in your new locale. Centuries of shipping in the bay area, heavy, slave trade and rich commerce not to mention the heavy CW involvement should keep one busy for a lifetime. My guess is there should be little problem finding people to go detecting with, and there's probably at least one detecting club in the area to join or at least get some good information from.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Welcome to AD! I can't help with the buddy a I'm at the other end of the country in Wis. But I'm guessing that you should have a ton of great detecting opportunities with the rich history in your new locale. Centuries of shipping in the bay area, heavy, slave trade and rich commerce not to mention the heavy CW involvement should keep one busy for a lifetime. My guess is there should be little problem finding people to go detecting with, and there's probably at least one detecting club in the area to join or at least get some good information from.
    Thanks, Digger!

My past experience was mainly in Indiana and Kentucky so it is exciting to be in an area with the kind of history you mentioned. Plus the millions of people who have attended Mardi Gras here since the 1700s.

One addition I forgot to ask about. I don't know if you water detect, either shallow water or diving, but there's likely a TON of shipwrecks in the area as well. Centuries of hurricanes dumping countless tons of cargo into the water and on the beaches. I know Mobile Bay itself is quite shallow after a visit. From my hotel room I watched a smaller fishing boat get stuck on a mud flat way out in the bay. So I would assume that even with a CTX3030 and some snorkel gear a person could easily detect in under 10 feet of water and probably come up with loads of goodies.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    One addition I forgot to ask about. I don't know if you water detect, either shallow water or diving, but there's likely a TON of shipwrecks in the area as well. Centuries of hurricanes dumping countless tons of cargo into the water and on the beaches. I know Mobile Bay itself is quite shallow after a visit. From my hotel room I watched a smaller fishing boat get stuck on a mud flat way out in the bay. So I would assume that even with a CTX3030 and some snorkel gear a person could easily detect in under 10 feet of water and probably come up with loads of goodies.
    I like shallow water hunting. It would, in fact, be interesting to do some deeper water searches in the Bay. I have my research cut out for me in the months ahead.