Thread: Finally got out to the beach, but what is it?

Threaded View

Finally got out to the beach, but what is it?

Hello everyone! Finally got out for a couple hours Saturday morning to my local Lake Michigan beach. First thing that appended was seeing a whole bunch of people detecting even though it was just past sunrise. There was a woman who passed me up as I was headed out and she told me not to bother as she already found everything. Yeah, haha....

I started following my usual line right along the surf where most of the regular old codgers avoid problems due to being kinda steep and the chance of wet feet. I hadn't gone more than 20 feet when the same lady rushes past me now carrying a soup can size scoop, and starts detecting my line not 10 feet in front of me! I just followed her and got all the goodies she missed..

So anyway, other than the usual pocket change I got a junker ring and an item I have no clue about. It looks similar to a water spigot handle, but it's made out of what looks to be stamped copper with the back hollow filled with lead. Doesn't look like it broke off anything or that it had any shaft attached. The nubs around the outside are rounded as if to get a better grip, not as if they were spokes broken off to a larger outer wheel. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    My only guess is maybe a valve handle off one of the many steamers that wrecked in the area between the 1860s to the 1920s or so.

Ring:
    Name:  20220801_142548.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  58.1 KB

The unknown item:
    Name:  20220801_143611.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  20220801_142606.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  66.3 KB
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 08-01-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!