Thread: Your Collection

Your Collection

Hey everyone,
    I just sold all the gold I ever found...$600 for a few gold rings. Now, my question is....what do you people envision will happen with your collection of finds?...in the long term. I'm guessing you currently have nice displays in your house...then what? Do you have kids who'd want your dug buttons and buckles? Will you ever sell parts of your collection?

I got a price on about half of all the silver coins I've ever found, ranging from 18th century Spanish silver, a morgan dollar, seated dimes, SLQ, even some copper coins that I thought were valuable like a machim mills counterfeit, etc ...and all that only came out to another $600.

I've already given lots of stuff to area historical societies...maybe they get the rest.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I think of that often Drew. The vast majority of the "treasure" that I find and keep may be very cool to me but has lttle or no monatary value. Unless the grand kids have a real interest in it, I think the historical societies are their likely destination. My Rev War buttons and the better coppers and silvers would be easy enough to sell but what can you do with a thousand flat buttons, buckle fragments, squished thimbles ? What I've been thinking of doing is making sure my kids know what the valuable pieces are ($ or historical) so they don't throw everything out just in case I drop dead.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

You gentlemen know you can donate those finds right Name:  hands.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  33.9 KBhere
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dan you should open a shoe buckle/Fugio museum and give me and Drew a small corner to display our finds.

are those really your hands, Dan?

Jeff, by what the dealer was telling me, I'm not certain any of our dug coppers are worth anything. If the rare ones ARE worth something we'd have to work hard to find buyers. The coin guy didn't seem to care about reales or seated. He looked at each one as fast as he could slide them along the counter. Mercs were just counted. I'm going to get a second opinion.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post

Jeff, by what the dealer was telling me, I'm not certain any of our dug coppers are worth anything. If the rare ones ARE worth something we'd have to work hard to find buyers. The coin guy didn't seem to care about reales or seated. He looked at each one as fast as he could slide them along the counter. Mercs were just counted. I'm going to get a second opinion.
    Drew,
    I went through the same thing some years ago. Thought I have a nice collection of silver coins and even some old coppers that according to the coin books were valuable. Coin dealer looked at them and offered me silver scrap value on everything. I was shocked that they would rather melt down all those silver coins!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Drew,
    I went through the same thing some years ago. Thought I have a nice collection of silver coins and even some old coppers that according to the coin books were valuable. Coin dealer looked at them and offered me silver scrap value on everything. I was shocked that they would rather melt down all those silver coins!
    I didn't mention it Chris but I had previously gone to another dealer who told me he'd give me melt for all my silver coins! I thought he was nuts.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

When you look at all the crappy coppers that are sold on ebay, our better ones have to be worth something. Same for silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    When you look at all the crappy coppers that are sold on ebay, our better ones have to be worth something. Same for silver.
    I was hoping they were worth something, Jeff. I never go to ebay, or FB market, I go to the Stop and Shop once a week . I have an appointment with another coin dealer, we'll see.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post

you got me Drew .... my hands are usually more dirty .

coin dealers are crooks ... I've personally seen them swindle a widow of her deceased husbands coin collection , literally pennies on the dollar for some of the coins .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    There's only 2 solutions I know of if selling coins. First is to have the most potentially valuable coins sent in to a grading service such as PCGS. That way they are graded and registered, which will actually bring approximate book value if sold. But that does come with a pretty steep price so cost must be weighed against potential value of the coin.
    The second solution would be to just card them up and sell them individually on E-bay, other coin sites or flea markets which can take a very long time.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

When I go, my wife will have a yard sale! I will be gone so I won't know who got the deals!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    When I go, my wife will have a yard sale! I will be gone so I won't know who got the deals!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    Give us her email address