Thread: Arrow Heads

Arrow Heads

Hey Everyone,
    Happy Fall!
    I've befriended many of my property owners over the years and sometimes spend much of my detecting time chatting (I'm socially better in person than online ). I speak with this one fella quite often and he recently showed me all the Indian arrowheads found on his property over the generations. I was amazed at the different shapes, sizes, and number found. I'm sorry I didn't take them out of the bags but see if you can zoom in on the top middle one. It's about a half inch. I'm told it's bird arrowhead.

This property is in my neighborhood and I've yet to find one, even though I spend much of my waking hours with my head down looking at the ground . Do you all find them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

those are great Drew , were they found in the property owner's fields ? He might have a village site on or near his place . I did some point hunting down south and got some great advice on where to look and hunting sites by a renown native relic hunter .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

So cool, Dan! I'll ask where they were found. Have you ever found any?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I am pretty sure I have mentioned on here that I grew up on a farm in central Ohio. Well as a kid my Dad would take me out arrowhead hunting in the Spring before crops were planted and in the Fall when we would till the fields. I have a decent collection but nothing compared to my Dad. He literally has rooms of arrowheads...most of which he has found but he does have a vice of going to auctions and buying them.

Most of my collection is at my Dad's place in Ohio but here are few items that I have up here in Michigan. All of these I found...

The small axe is probably my favorite stone artifact I have found. Top middle is a tubular banner stone made out of slate...it has a hole drilled all the way through it. The item on the top right is believed to be an atlatl weight. The bottom is another axe I found when I was 10 or so.

Name:  stone.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  IMG_E0958.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_E0959.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  90.2 KB

Here are some arrowheads that I and my kids have found the last 10 or so years on my farm.
    Name:  flint.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  27.8 KB

My Dad probably has over 10,000 artifacts, most are broken pcs, at his home. Shoe box after shoe box after shoe box of artifacts. He is an avid collector.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

WOW! Jared! So I live a mile from where this guy found these and I've never found one!! You have an amazing collection. Let me get this right, you found lots in Ohio AND Michigan?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    WOW! Jared! So I live a mile from where this guy found these and I've never found one!! You have an amazing collection. Let me get this right, you found lots in Ohio AND Michigan?
    I have only found 3 or 4 flint artifacts here in Michigan. And I have found a fair amount of copper culture/18th century stuff up in northern Michigan that I have posted on AD. The vast majority of my arrowheads were found in Ohio on my farm and some neighboring farms. As a farmer my Dad would often talk to other farmers and he would get permission to walk their fields and he would take me along quite often. These days the only time I am walking a field is when I am detecting or deer hunting...but I always keep an eye out for arrowheads or anything else. Next time I am in Ohio I will take a few more pics of what I have found and some things my Dad has...he has some very cool artifacts. I may have more somewhere in my house that I need to find.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

You have some oldies there Drew. Those bifurcates are likely Early Archaic.

Last edited by Lodge Scent; 10-06-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I walk corn fields ALL THE TIME, Jarred, I can't believe I've never found one.
    You found all those, Jeff? What types of places have you found them? I can't imagine finding one in the brambles of a cellar hole, they all corn field finds? I looked up bifurcated and WOW one of them is! Thanks! I'll tell the owner.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Before I got into metal detecting Drew, I hunted for arrowheads. Most are from walking the plowed fields. I've found a few accidentally while out detecting. Actually my best one (not shown), a copper cuture point, I did find with my detector. I just grabbed a few for this pic. I have many hundreds.....mostly broken because they were field finds as Bucknut's dad can appreciate..

Cool finds guys!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

I found all of these in farm fields in Clay County, Illinois in the 1980s. Nothing too special here as most of them are just broken pieces. It was fun finding them though.

Name:  ARROWHEADS SMALLER.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  66.7 KB

Oddly enough, I found this 1868 Shield Nickel out in the middle of a farm field while I was hunting for arrowheads. There were no other signs of a house or activity in this field. (No nails, pottery, glass, etc.) Very strange!

Name:  1868 shield.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  45.5 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I'm blown away by the amount you all have found! Maybe I need to check my glasses
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It's like anything else Drew, you can develop an "eye" for them. After a while you can spot a fragment of one sticking out of the dirt mixed in with a bunch of other rocks. Of course in order to find them.....there has to be some where you are looking! Not every plowed field has arrowheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    It's like anything else Drew, you can develop an "eye" for them. After a while you can spot a fragment of one sticking out of the dirt mixed in with a bunch of other rocks. Of course in order to find them.....there has to be some where you are looking! Not every plowed field has arrowheads.
    Reminds me of an old joke...Did you know Vincent van Gogh started out as a musician? He didn't have an ear for it.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 11-02-2022 at 05:02 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew