Thread: Old rope thimble?

Old rope thimble?

Hello everyone I’m very new at forums and metal detecting! My son and I fool around behind my house which was once a civil war calvary camp ground. With that being said I’m sure this is some scrap I’ve dug up but I’m trying to identify it, I’ve found similar objects as rope thimbles for boating online but is odd because there are no nearby bayous. The object is either brass or bronze and heavy iron staples were found beneath this. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Thib! Welcome to the forum!

It sure looks like a rope thimble. I wonder if they were sometimes used in horse harnesses somehow?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the response and the welcome! I was considering that as well maybe it was part of a harness for a mule to plow? Who knows.. I’ve found so many things I have no idea what they are but this was the strangest/coolest to me

Hi, Thib! I bet that sounded great under the coil! What kind of detector? Looks like you have some historic property, even if this item turns out to be from a 1970s Chris Craft you'll have more opportunities.
    Welcome to the hobby and the group!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Haha! Agreed! I think it’s just the basic bounty hunter.. nothing special. It was for my son but I’m starting to wonder who enjoys it more

Hello Thib and welcome to the forum!

Yes, that's a rope or cable thimble. Used anywhere they have premade lifting cables (or ropes), often having a lifting hook attached with a threaded clevis at the end. Shown is a modern example of a cable sling.

Name:  Sling.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  19.6 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Awesome thank you for the response