Thread: Deep HC question

Deep HC question

Hey Drew, I was in Waterbury today on business and took the scenic route home to avoid the Rt 95 evening traffic mess and drove through your home town. It reminded me I wanted to pick your brain about Deep HC. I have used it and it has lived up to it's name. BUT as as I have griped about before, the deep chuncky iron that rings in at a nice sounding 87 was driving me nuts so I moved on to play with other programs. With that nice real you just found, you indicated you used the stock Deep HC program. Have you just learned to ignore those pesky iron falses and move on to the next target ??? What is your secret to staying sane when using the Deep HC program?

Jeff
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

mine is the XY screen , a lot of iron (especially the deep chunky ones) can sound great but the most often splay or fragment on the xy screen but i'm biased because i like digging deep big iron Name:  9-19 iron shoe buckle , cleaned.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  48.6 KBName:  Jan4th cannon ball before after.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  70.2 KBName:  barber half and lockplate.jpg
Size:  73.6 KBName:  axe1005111_zps66284091.jpg
Size:  71.0 KBName:  jan. 1st shoe bukle and file .jpg
Views: 81
Size:  66.1 KBName:  dec. key.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  21.3 KBName:  Flintlock paited.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  17.1 KB
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Those are some killer iron finds, Dan!
    Jeff, you should have stopped by
    I don't think I have any secrets you guys don't already know regarding DeepHC. I'm all about the tones, and gathering multiple hints. Even if I went into the minutiae of what I'm listening to, it may be I'm leaving good targets in the ground by applying my own aural discrimination...so who knows. It would be helpful to compare targets with people.

Question for you guys- my old T2 had two separate computers, one ran the vdi and one ran the tones, so being different you got two points of view. Are they different on the D2? Like, would it help to use 5 tones because it might jump between tones even while the vdi stays constant, or visa versa? I've been using 5 tones lately, even at dig-all sites for just that reason. I think the 5 tones could be giving me more hints.

PS That real was only 6 inches. A tired and peckish Helen Keller would have dug it. Seriously, it was leafy, end of hunt when you're swinging fast, rainy, windy, someone was sighting a shotgun ...and I was headphone-less.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Gents. Dan, I've been playing with Park a lot and XY really is the best way to get an iron indication in that program because of all the audio filtering. Drew, yeah it is all about the tones. When hunting in Park and get an iffy signal, I will often toggle to my adjacent Deep HC to see if there is an iron tone. I've been using 4 tones in Park, but like you say, 5 tones might even give you a bit more "aural discrimination". I just need to jump back into Deep HC and quit whining.

I'm not sure about how the D2 process tones and VDIs. To be honest I don't pay much attention to the numbers. I have set a tone break at 87 or 88 just to get that unique blended sound to help ID that small chunky iron. To Dan's point, we should dig more of those iron targets as they can be nice relics.

Yeah, I might have to hit some cellars where I know there is only old stuff and dig some iron.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Yeah, I might have to hit some cellars where I know there is only old stuff and dig some iron.
    Might I suggest iron targets that seem out of the ordinary looking on the XY screen , with the exception of the lock plate which looked and sounded similar to an ox shoe . the cannon ball was a very deep and "round looking " iron target without much line fracturing or splaying with much of the action in the lower left quadrant of the XY screen , some two tine forks can give off a similar line appearance as can some iron shoe buckles .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I haven't had the chance to dig much due to work and getting sick twice this summer and fall. However, I have made some observations regarding the Deus 2 as follows:

The D2 is a completely different animal than the D1.
    The D2 Deep HC is as advertised. It's a DEEP Program and stable.
    Deep HC is my go to program now on the D2. I hardly ever used Deep on the D1 because it was not stable.
    My beloved Pitch programs do NOT work on the D2. I can't figure out how to keep nails from falsing.
    I use 5 tone programs for the D2 with negative discrimination (-3.4) and tone breaks.

Also, very importantly, since the D2 is so deep you will hear ground minerals mixing in as iron on deep targets. There's a difference that your ears can detect if it's iron or just the ground minerals mixing in. That's how I found my 9" deep Capped Bust.
    XP Deus

So I went out today to try to dig big iron and what I dug was big brass! I can't believe how many large brass items I've been missing. That XY screen seems very useful! When XY is on the vdi is so small I can't see it (I can no longer see dates on dimes lol), but I didn't miss it at all! If the thing sounded like large iron and the screen even flashed bottom left to top right I dug it. 50% were large brass. I bet I'm leaving shallow shoe buckles in the ground. Also dug a nice IH and 35 wheat, plus many shot gun shells. The ground seemed perfect today though. Stuff is jumping out of the ground. I'm so glad you guys mentioned the XY! Thanks! PS, yeah, Donnie I only leave DeepHC when I go into Fast, or Park once in a while. I hope you're feeling better!
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-29-2022 at 04:14 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    So I went out today to try to dig big iron and what I dug was big brass! I can't believe how many large brass items I've been missing. That XY screen seems very useful! When XY is on the vdi is so small I can't see it (I can no longer see dates on dimes lol), but I didn't miss it at all! If the thing sounded like large iron and the screen even flashed bottom left to top right I dug it. 50% were large brass. I bet I'm leaving shallow shoe buckles in the ground. Also dug a nice IH and 35 wheat, plus many shot gun shells. The ground seemed perfect today though. Stuff is jumping out of the ground. I'm so glad you guys mentioned the XY! Thanks! PS, yeah, Donnie I only leave DeepHC when I go into Fast, or Park once in a while. I hope you're feeling better!
    I only hunt with X/Y. If the target is deep then you may only get a hint of a line going left to right but I love that. I have actually reduced my "Zoom" on the X/Y so I get smaller lines on the Deus 2. I didn't like the factory Zoom so I lowered it one or two points to make it match the Deus 1.
    XP Deus

Agreed. XY gives the best visual clue of a nonferrous target. Just the slightest hint of a left to right "forward slash" and it's getting dug. I adjusted the zoom resolution as well Donnie B.

Drew, shallow shoe buckles can give misleading signals. I am guessing Dan figured that out early in his detecting career and that is why he has a mountain of them compared to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Agreed. XY gives the best visual clue of a nonferrous target. Just the slightest hint of a left to right "forward slash" and it's getting dug. I adjusted the zoom resolution as well Donnie B.

Drew, shallow shoe buckles can give misleading signals. I am guessing Dan figured that out early in his detecting career and that is why he has a mountain of them compared to the rest of us.
    Lesson learned from Dan one day when he found two shoe buckles. One of them I am positive I heard first and ignored. "Gotta dig those overloads" - Dan.
    XP Deus