Thread: Any Ideas? Brass Thingy

Any Ideas? Brass Thingy

I found this in the corn field today where I had previously found the 1875 Indian Head Cent. It is heavy brass.

Dave (Full Metal Digger) suggested that it might be some kind of leather strap buckle. That seems logical.

I haven't cleaned it yet but I think it will have a nice patina on it.

Any guesses?

Name:  THING 1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  63.8 KBName:  THING 2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  67.2 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Horse medallion? with a nice bottle opener on yours
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-27-2022 at 06:37 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Bottle opener is the first thing I thought of!

Otherwise, it sure does look like those horse medallions.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Easy-That's a cinch buckle. We had similar on a couple vintage cinches that we only used for shows as they were antique and impossible to replace if one broke or got lost. There were 2 in a set, for either side of the horse. The modern ones almost always had a center pin for the buckle to attach to a hole punched leather strap from the saddle. But the oldest ones we had were permanently attached by a riveted leather loop at either end of the cinch, then attached to the saddle (going under the horse) to a leather strap that was wound a couple times between the saddle and cinch, then tied so as to not come loose. Yeah, a loose cinch usually ended in having a very bad day for the rider. Just having a tied leather strap couldn't guarantee the saddle staying tight through a long day of riding, so they were eventually upgraded to the modern style.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Easy-That's a cinch buckle. We had similar on a couple vintage cinches that we only used for shows as they were antique and impossible to replace if one broke or got lost. There were 2 in a set, for either side of the horse. The modern ones almost always had a center pin for the buckle to attach to a hole punched leather strap from the saddle. But the oldest ones we had were permanently attached by a riveted leather loop at either end of the cinch, then attached to the saddle (going under the horse) to a leather strap that was wound a couple times between the saddle and cinch, then tied so as to not come loose. Yeah, a loose cinch usually ended in having a very bad day for the rider. Just having a tied leather strap couldn't guarantee the saddle staying tight through a long day of riding, so they were eventually upgraded to the modern style.
    Thanks for the very useful information! I had trouble finding one like it with a Google search, probably because I didn't know what to search for.
    Lifetime totals: