Thread: Back to Deep HC

Back to Deep HC

After playing with Park mode for a while (and even Beach Sensitive), I went back to Deep HC on Sunday's hunt. Not nearly as cool as Drew's coin purse find, but I had a very similar scenario. I got a hit that screamed iron but also a decent peep of an 88 to 99 tone ( I was using 5 tones). The XY screen also showed a small forward slash when I hit the target at certain angles. I'm thinking iron and a copper. Sure enough, dug the hole and out came that crusty nail. Stuck the pinpointer back in and out came the copper. What really impressed me was that I had the Reactivity set at 0.5 and it was still able to get some separation on those comingled targets.

Nail and copper

I could not get an ID from the copper. I actually thought it might have been a toasted William & Mary. But what I have been using on the unidentifiable coppers lately is a sanding block. Sounds extreme but if you use it gently use even pressure and just burnish the coin, you can often get an ID. I've gone through my pile of unidentifiable coppers and using this method I have managed to ID a couple of hidden KGs, a DB, Matrons and even a MA copper.

Sanding block - use the 180 Fine

KGII. I even got a date (1737).

Jeff
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's exactly what happened to me! I forgot to thank you guys as the XY screen confirmed the VDIs and I may not have dug it if you hadn't suggested using the XY.
    So, you just sand the coin and things appear? I have to try it. Nice job!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Just place the coin on the block, use light finger pressure and just genlty move at around for a few seconds to take off a microscopic layer of crud. Check your results. Repeat. On some super toasted coins you have to actually get down to the copper before any details appear. On the KG above you can see it still has some patina left. For many IDless coppers you can sand for ever and you will never get an ID. Just too far gone. This method works good on buttons too. The strength of this method is the evenness in which is removes the layers of crud and patina.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."