Thread: Manticore

Manticore

Early yet, but it looks like it might be a winner. Calabash who admittedly is just learning the machine, has a video of him using the Manticore at an iron and trash polluted site. It looked pretty impressive pulling some nonferrous targets out of all the junk. That "2D" screen is pretty intriguing. We shall see.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I personally like that the tones sound less garbled now than the Nox...and they went back to a VDI 100 scale.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I just sold one of my EQ800's and now I am waiting on the Manticore. I am looking forward to it. The weather here has turned too cold to go out...highs are supposed to be low 20's to just below freezing for the next couple weeks. Even if I had it now I could not do too much detecting. Oh well.

The Manticore apparently uses 50% more juice. Not sure if that means it goes 50% deeper or 2% deeper...or if it needs that extra power for a faster processor or something else? or a combination of all of the above? I did hear a Minelab engineer state that the coil had to be beefed up in order to make it more stable with the extra power going through it. hmmm.

For me the VDI numbers will be a big change. I'm very used to the scale going only up to 40 with the Equinox or going up to xx-50 with the eTrac.

Random question for all of you eTrac/CTX users...When you guys look at the clock do you ever think to yourself "Yeah I would dig that 12:47!" or "no that 10:07 is just junk"? I still do that to this day...maybe I am too hooked on this hobby?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    "Yeah I would dig that 12:47!" or "no that 10:07 is just junk"? I still do that to this day...maybe I am too hooked on this hobby?

The clock on the D2 is so small I can't see it...and it's normally in army time!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

HA! Good one Bucknut. Yeah those 12:47s are always gold rings.

Drew, there is a clock on the D2 screen ???
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Keep us updated on how the Manticore works out. I'm curious whether it's an upgrade from the CTX or not. Also curious about battery life. If it's only 8 or so hours that can be problematic unless a spare can be swapped in.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Hello to all And Merry Christmas
    The manticore here in Canada is $2,000.00
    I have 4 broken coils sitting here from my 3030
    They are $400.00 I a piece. have done well whit my 3030 so I don’t see the reason for a upgrade
    (at the moment)
    I contacted Minelab some time in the pass and they wash their hands.
    The new manticore looks great and has great reviews, but they are still many people the still use the 3030
    How about a solution for the ones the still have a 3030 whit broken coils.
    So they wash their hands I wash my hands with them.
    No for $2,000.00
    Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The Best Beach Hunters Dig all Targets
    Silver Seekeers, FMDAC, The Geritol Metal Detecting Gang

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Hello to all And Merry Christmas
    The manticore here in Canada is $2,000.00
    I have 4 broken coils sitting here from my 3030
    They are $400.00 I a piece. have done well whit my 3030 so I don’t see the reason for a upgrade
    (at the moment)
    I contacted Minelab some time in the pass and they wash their hands.
    The new manticore looks great and has great reviews, but they are still many people the still use the 3030
    How about a solution for the ones the still have a 3030 whit broken coils.
    So they wash their hands I wash my hands with them.
    No for $2,000.00
    Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Minelab has always been "left wanting" in their customer support compared to other companies as well as their view on durability vs. technology , meaning they do shove almost all of their capital into the technology side of their products which is why their machines preform well but it leaves little for design durability ( "O" ring leak issues , plastic housing cracking , coil ear attachment breaks , ect ,ect ) . To be honest it is one of the reasons I passed on Minelab .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I've really never had any major issues with my CTX3030 and I have really put it through the rounds in every conceivable torture test. It's been bounced around in the car, dropped countless times, run in temperatures ranging from around -30 up to 110, fields, woods, and underwater. The only thing is the interface to hook up wired headphones from the waterproof jack doesn't work, which had problems since I bought the machine used, and then the cam lock on the shaft wearing out as is a well known problem and easily fixed with a zip tie.

As for other products, my 705 has also been used a lot without issue, and the GPX4800 worked wonders at the beach in Florida without fail.

I use all 3 machines with many coils and haven't had a single problem-unless you count wearing out skid plates. I'll certainly stick to my Minelab products!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Minelab has been good to me. I had a coil go bad on my eTrac in 2016 I think it was and sent it in for repair and they just gave me a new one...it was past the warranty too. So I was pretty happy about that. Thought for sure I would have to buy a stock coil from them. I am sure it was because I am a member here on AD!

I do think though that the Equinox is "cheaply" made. The ears on the coils have a tendency to break so I purchased some reinforcements to prevent it. Also the early shafts tended to wobble a bit or not tighten up. My first one did this to some degree and I ended up purchasing a new shaft. I have also noticed that the shafts get wear marks where I tighten it up...I think this is due to the materials used for the shaft. I can see over time that these wear marks could allow the shaft to wobble. Then there are also issues with leaking. I have never used my detector under water so this has not been an issue for me. I am sure though that Minelab has addressed these issues with the Manticore (and even the EQ700/900). But to Del's point these are issues of a basic nature (to me anyways) and should have easily been addressed during development.

I did own the original deus for about 2 years and it was solid. No issues for me at all. If I lived on the east coast and/or if I understood XP better then I would definitely get the D2. But I am just dumb and the D2 is above my head. Minelabs have always been easier for me to learn and enjoy...and that is the main reason why I partake in this hobby...for the enjoyment of it. Ah deep sentimental thoughts with Bucknut!

Speaking of sentimental thoughts...I hope 2023 gets some of you old time members out more and posting more! I miss you old guys!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 12-29-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)