Thread: Literally the last target of the day.

Literally the last target of the day.

A good friend invited me to hunt with him today at a site that has been hunted hard for several years. My first two signals were 42 and 44 wheat cents. Then nothing for about 3 hours. Finally I made it back to my truck, took a couple Tylenol and rested for a few minutes. My buddy was in a different field so I walked over and started to hunt. After finding a few round balls and a couple rim fire casings I started back to the truck. I got a small signal and dug a flower button. Then, I headed for my truck not really paying attention to what I was doing. Fact is, I was about wore out. Well, I have heard the "on the way back to the truck" story so many times but never thought it would happen to me. I got a strong signal but it was iffy. It seemed to be shallow so I dug a plug in the soft dirt and when I flipped it out it took me a few seconds to realize what was there. My buddy was about 30 feet away and I just said "Kevin, I have a buckle"
    He came over and I dropped it in his hand. He said he thought a belt plate would come from this site but didn't think it would come from this field.
    This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I had to look it up, that's soooo cool! ...and you found a button from the union side too! Don't give it away but was this a battle field? Huge congrats!!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks for the reply. This was not a battlefield and nowhere near one. It is a ghost town but during the civil war some of the men were guards at Andersonville prison. That might explain why we find Union relics. They were either taken from the prisoners or maybe traded for a bit of food or water.

That is a great piece of history to find on the last hole of the day ! big congrats

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I have to make a correction. This belt plate has been correctly identified as a US Militia 1812-1830 shoulder belt plate. It could have been used during the civil war as a buckle but it is not CS origin.

Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I have to make a correction. This belt plate has been correctly identified as a US Militia 1812-1830 shoulder belt plate. It could have been used during the civil war as a buckle but it is not CS origin.

Sorry for any confusion.
    that makes much more sense going from its construction as it has the same attachment attributes as the 1812 patterned oval buckles shoulder plates and it probably was reused during the Mexican or Civil war eras . Again great find !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Here it is fresh from the dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images