Thread: My Finds from England Arrived Today!

My Finds from England Arrived Today!

Hello friends,
    Last year I received an invitation from our very own Ill Digger (Tim) to go to England for 7 days of metal detecting heaven! Our group would also include Fire Fighter 43 (Jeff) and BTV Digger (John). It was great to finally meet Jeff and John after all these years of seeing their posts on this forum! The trip was scheduled for the first week of October. The weather was amazing (especially for England), and we only had a little bit of rain on one day. Everything we find while detecting in England must be turned in to the Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) to be evaluated and cataloged. Once it is determined our finds are not classified as "treasure," we receive an export license with photographs of all the finds. The export license is signed by the Arts Council of England and is our proof that we can legally remove the items from England. The process can last anywhere from a few months to 2 years or more. Mine took 6 months this time. Surprisingly, my finds were valued at a whopping £70 ($84)! Thank you very much Tim for the invite. I had a great time and look forward to our next adventures!

Here are some pics of my better finds.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Elite Member
    More items for your museum exhibits. Still amazed by those displays. Congrats on your finds and thx for posting. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Yay! I'm glad it didn't take two years! It's fortunate that they didn't decide to keep any of it.

The coins and buttons are very cool but that Roman key is off the charts! That thing is incredible!

I can't wait to see your museum in person someday!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is awesome! So I guess that they did not keep any of your finds?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I could kick myself for not going on that trip! Oh well, it was a different world a few years back. Do you know what type of finds would get "treasure" designation? I'd call most of yours "treasure!" I can't make out what happened to that coin to make it a love token. What's on there? Thanks, and huge congrats!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

What a nice group of finds Dave , when is your next trip out that way ?

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I could kick myself for not going on that trip!
    #ME TOO .... Drew
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    More items for your museum exhibits. Still amazed by those displays. Congrats on your finds and thx for posting. WD
    Thanks, I'm going to make a frame just of my England finds. I got (stole) the idea from Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Yay! I'm glad it didn't take two years! It's fortunate that they didn't decide to keep any of it.

The coins and buttons are very cool but that Roman key is off the charts! That thing is incredible!

I can't wait to see your museum in person someday!
    Open invitation Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That is awesome! So I guess that they did not keep any of your finds?
    They mostly like to keep the gold stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I could kick myself for not going on that trip! Oh well, it was a different world a few years back. Do you know what type of finds would get "treasure" designation? I'd call most of yours "treasure!" I can't make out what happened to that coin to make it a love token. What's on there? Thanks, and huge congrats!!!
    Thanks Drew, it would have been cool if you were there too! The love token is bent in a certain way. I'll do a separate post about that since it was a bucket list item for me.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    What a nice group of finds Dave , when is your next trip out that way ?
    #ME TOO .... Drew
    Thanks Del,
    Tim (Ill Digger) and I are going to England and Germany in late April! We are meeting our friend and he will take us to some of his permissions north of London, then we are off to Germany for 7 days of detecting with my buddies. We've rented a house up in the mountains and it will be a blast!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    You made some great finds Dave. It was a pleasure to finally meet and hunt with you. I made a friend for life buddy and I can’t wait until we go on another big adventure. Good luck in Germany and I will expect daily updates from you and Tim.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber