Thread: 24 buttons

24 buttons

Finally made it out to a site that I haven't been to since I had the D2. I used to call the site the "button factory". I pulled well over 100 buttons from this site with the D1 and DFX, most from a strip of land about 60 feet long by 20 feet wide. Picture a colonial era clothesline in the front yard of a cellar hole. I used the "button killer" program today. It's deadly on mid conductors as Drew can attest to.

Also came across a coyote den on the hike out. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it's big enough so that I could have squeezed into it if I was so inclined. But seeing there were fresh tracks in the dirt, I wasn't so inclined.

Jeff

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thats a great day of buttons Jeff , I tried that programs in my hunt today . I found it a bit difficult to listen compared to the tones of a pitch or other programs i normally use but I did get a couple of buttons in the infested iron . Does the small iron (vdi's from 1 to 20's) targets and the big iron targets (vdi's 70's to 90's ) constantly battle each other in different tones together ? maybe i wasn't in the complete programs as I felt like i was struggling.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice job on the buttons as well as staying out of the den!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Dan it isn't a pleasant program to hunt with. Yes, you get iron chiming in from from both ends. When you are in the iron, you really have to tell your brain to ignore any high tone and just wait for that midtone. Like Drew mentioned in his previous post, this program is for those pounded sites where there aren't any easy high conductors left to be found. Even though the high tones in this program are 95% iron falsing, it's not an easy thing to get your brain to ignore them after years of wanting those high tones. But when you do get a midtone it rarely is an iron false. I had a couple fuzzy midtones today but when I pinpointed then swept over the actual target, it was definitely iron. I hardly dug any iron today, just a few odd fragments and only one of those actually fooled me outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Dan it isn't a pleasant program to hunt with.

I assume you are swinging through the iron pretty slowly to really hear them tones .

I did hear a few mid tones , one was accompanied by a 59 vdi bouncing between the iron vdi's and i pulled out two nail bits and a tiny cuff button and the other was a mid tone that stuck out with a 63 vdi and i stopped the coil and wiggled it and the 63 was a very consistent number with a straight XY and a small nail came out of this hole with a cuff button . maybe altering my tones EQ might also help

Thanks Jeff

That's an amazing amount of Buttons!

Yeah, I don't find this program that annoying because I learned how to hunt in iron with the T2 (2+ tones). This program is very similar to that but with 5 inches added depth
    The most buttons I ever found was 20 with Dan and George one day, back when targets were easier. 24 today is ridiculous, congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's an amazing amount of Buttons!
    Yeah, you would think a copper or two would have shown up with all those buttons Drew. This is a remote site but we pounded it back in the day with my DFX, a couple of CTX's and then my D1. Oddly this site only produced 3 coppers over the years.

Dan, I found most of those buttons with a Reactivity of 1.5, so I wasn't swinging the coil fast, but not painfully slow either. But even at 2.5, I just used a relaxed swing. Just about all of the buttons were next to some iron so I rarely got a clean signal. Only a few gave solid XY line. I did try adjusting the equalizer tones but it didn't help me. Yes VDIs of 63 were a guaranteed small tombac at this site . But if it wasn't for the fact that I like to do a quick pinpoint now and then, I would put the controller in my pocket and ignore it. This is the type of program where you just wander around the site enjoying the scenery, ignoring the controller and ignoring all audio until you hear a midtone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Yeah, you would think a copper or two would have shown up with all those buttons Drew. This is a remote site but we pounded it back in the day with my DFX, a couple of CTX's and then my D1. Oddly this site only produced 3 coppers over the years.

Dan, I found most of those buttons with a Reactivity of 1.5, so I wasn't swinging the coil fast, but not painfully slow either. But even at 2.5, I just used a relaxed swing. Just about all of the buttons were next to some iron so I rarely got a clean signal. Only a few gave solid XY line. I did try adjusting the equalizer tones but it didn't help me. Yes VDIs of 63 were a guaranteed small tombac at this site . But if it wasn't for the fact that I like to do a quick pinpoint now and then, I would put the controller in my pocket and ignore it. This is the type of program where you just wander around the site enjoying the scenery, ignoring the controller and ignoring all audio until you hear a midtone.
    Jeff have you tried on lowering the iron volume some or even all the way to at least quiet the lower iron vdi's , I tried it out just now in the yard and it did seem to take away a lot of the lower vdi chatter .

I have not Dan. But I certainly will! Next time out I will set up an adjacent program with Iron volume at 1.

That's a great score.
    Sooo many buttons!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

I assume you are swinging through the iron pretty slowly to really hear them tones .

I did hear a few mid tones , one was accompanied by a 59 vdi bouncing between the iron vdi's and i pulled out two nail bits and a tiny cuff button and the other was a mid tone that stuck out with a 63 vdi and i stopped the coil and wiggled it and the 63 was a very consistent number with a straight XY and a small nail came out of this hole with a cuff button . maybe altering my tones EQ might also help

Thanks Jeff
    I run both of my programs with an iron volume of 1. When I first got my D2 I really screwed up the EQ so bad that I couldn't hear a target even if it was shallow. I think I watched a video and copied someone else's settings on the EQ and it's all good now. I am finding more deep coins with the D2 than I did with the D1.
    XP Deus

Wow, that's a crazy amount of buttons, congrats!

I sure wish I could figure out something like that program on the CTX 3030 to eliminate all the iron falsing to a high tone peep.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Nice mopping up there with the buttons Jeff! The D2 is killer in the thick iron, regardless of the program imo. Going slow is the key, and from different directions, as I'm sure you know.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos