Thread: Shot Gun Shells

Shot Gun Shells

I think we already hashed this out but let's rehash 😁
    Chris (Digger O'Dell) found a unique pinfire cartridge head that looks very much like the shot gun shells we dig here in New England, minus the pin. So now, every time I dig a "shotty" (I've learned they call them shotties in the UK via the book "The Accidental Detectorist") I check for a pin....and then always wonder why EVERYBODY was shooting shotgun shells back in the day. Were they trying to eradicate Passenger Pigeons? 😁
    The reason to use "shots" is to hit a bird, no?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Shot is far more effective when hunting birds. Small shot for smaller birds like quail, medium shot for ducks, and large shot for turkey. This is to be able to take down the bird without making an ink stain out of it, yet able to have a far better chance of making the hit as opposed to a single rifle or pistol slug.

Then there's also buckshot, which shoots maybe 3-5 larger round balls such as .38 to .45 caliber- longer range and deadly on deer, but would really tear up a bird of any size. But as you've seen in my post, a shotgun can also be loaded with a single slug or ball which is still used today for deer hunting. The single slug has far more range than shot, but less than a rifle. Typically shot is only good for up to about 50-100 yards depending on the load and barrel choke. A slug can be accurately shot to around 250 yards. A high power long range rifle can shoot 5000 yards (IE: .50 BMG).

So you can see that a shotgun is very versatile and can be used on any size game (Except dangerous or big game like elephants or rhinos). The cartridges are easily reloaded so can be used with almost any projectile that will fit, or made to suit the target. This also makes a shotgun very useful for warfare such as the Civil War where one gun can take down long range enemies during the day, and dinner in the afternoon.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Geese , duck , turkey , pheasant , partridge , Rabbit even deer and similar small game could be hunted with a shotgun . It still is one of the most versatile fire arms used today .

I would bet I've found thousands of shotgun shells and even a few tall all brass ones from the mid 1800's but I think I've only found 1 pin fire type .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I was not aware of its usage, thanks guys! Not many elephants in these parts
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I think a 12 guage #4 shot shell holds well over 100 pellets. Just one pellet hitting a bird or small game will likely stop it. At about 100 feet that shot pattern will be 2 or 3 feet in diameter. You don't have to be a crack shot to bring home the bacon.

Wish I had a nickel for everyone I've dug. There used to be a guy on another forum that collected them. About 10 years ago, I sent him about 500. I used to just throw them in a box, now they go in the trash. I have saved a few uncommon brands.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I think a 12 guage #4 shot shell holds well over 100 pellets. Just one pellet hitting a bird or small game will likely stop it. At about 100 feet that shot pattern will be 2 or 3 feet in diameter. You don't have to be a crack shot to bring home the bacon.

Wish I had a nickel for everyone I've dug. There used to be a guy on another forum that collected them. About 10 years ago, I sent him about 500. I used to just throw them in a box, now they go in the trash. I have saved a few uncommon brands.
    I still dig the tiniest of bird shot pellets sometimes when running the higher frequencies (i think 28 and higher) , the machine is amazing at picking up the smallest of non ferrous items .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I agree Dan.....it can be almost annoying because they are so small it takes you 10 minutes to find it with the pinpointer.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."