Thread: Mid April Vermont metal detecting holiday - round 2

Mid April Vermont metal detecting holiday - round 2

Hi all,

Here's finds from another little cellar hole in a field I hit with my close friend from @greenmountaindiggers this past April 18. Only a short 30 minute drive away for me this time. Finds were fairly typical from an early Vermont homestead, but what was unusual were the counterfeit coins we dug there - 3! Those were two 1817 8 Reales and a cast pewter/other base metal 1830 Capped Bust Dime. We also found a blank copper planchet identical in weight/diameter to the 8 Reales coins. I only got over one of the "8's", but I find it very unique and it's now one of the more special items in my collection. Thanks for looking.

John

Name:  Total finds.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  70.6 KBName:  1817 Counterfeit  8 Reales obverse.jpeg
Size:  108.3 KBName:  1817 Counterfeit 8 Reales reverse.jpeg
Size:  113.4 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That is a good looking counterfeit! Looking at the pic I would have thought it was real. Cool find and congrats on all the finds!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thats a great looking counterfeit John , it would of fooled me as the busts on them Ferdinand coins vary a lot from bust to bust . is it silver over pewter or copper ?
    Congrats !!

Its odd that some sites can give up just coins and maybe a pewter poker chip and then some sites can give up a bunch of counterfeits or fakes , one time a member here (Fsa46 ) found 11 8 real pewter counterfeits (a cache of them) with George , it was very exciting for all of us .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great finds John! I think some of those counterfeits are worth more than the actual coin sometimes! Glad to see a post from you and hope you are doing well. Best wishes and happy digging, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That is a good looking counterfeit! Looking at the pic I would have thought it was real. Cool find and congrats on all the finds!
    Thanks Jared. Yeah, it even feels the same weight - but rings up medium high on the D2 - like a 70 VDI so I new it wasn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Thats a great looking counterfeit John , it would of fooled me as the busts on them Ferdinand coins vary a lot from bust to bust . is it silver over pewter or copper ?

Its odd that some sites can give up just coins and maybe a pewter poker chip and then some sites can give up a bunch of counterfeits or fakes , one time a member here (Fsa46 ) found 11 8 real pewter counterfeits (a cache of them) with George , it was very exciting for all of us .

Dan
    Thanks Dan. Wow - 11 counterfeits - amazing! The more I've read, the more I've been surprised to understand how rampant it was back in the early years. Nuts. For my coin it's silver plate over what looks like copper. As mentioned, my friend found a pure copper disc identical in weight/diameter also at the site. But my coin rang up with a 70 or so VDI on the D2 so not sure. Would the silver plate bring down the numbers? I'm certainly no expert, but if you handle and look at the coin it definitely is a more quality made counterfeit. I understand a lot of these were made in Birmingham, England and this coin probably is fairly contemporary of the date. But honestly, who will ever truly know.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Great finds John! I think some of those counterfeits are worth more than the actual coin sometimes! Glad to see a post from you and hope you are doing well. Best wishes and happy digging, Dave.
    Good to hear from you Dave! Thanks for the note. I understand another gentleman digger from the great state of Illinois was recently in Germany. Were you there also?
    Last edited by BTV Digger; 05-03-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That is really cool. I've always been a fan of counterfeits.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."