Thread: 1700's Trade Silver GALORE! and other treasures!

1700's Trade Silver GALORE! and other treasures!

For the past 5 years every time I go up to my cottage I find amazing relics and every year I seem to find more! Last week it was crazy! Crazy as in 68 pcs of silver crazy! and all from the 1700s to 1800! ...well maybe 1820's?

Let's start with some War of 1812 era buttons. I visited a site about 5-6 miles away and managed 4 more buttons. My Mom and my kids and I have found probably over 70 buttons at this site. My first this year was a plain silver wash button and the others are Artillery buttons.

Name:  A3.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  Acuff.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  close butttons.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  143.8 KB

I also found a few musket balls (all at my cottage) and a part of a pipe stem in the same hole as one of the buttons.

Name:  Buttons Group.jpg
Size:  108.9 KB

Now back at my cottage I have found lots of items over the years...Musket balls, tinkling cones, about a dozen pcs of trade silver among other relics. I of course have found lots of modern stuff too. My family owns 4 cottages in a row along the water front and it is quite obvious that back in the early 1700's this spot, where these cottages are, was the spot where trading between the Indians and fur traders and the occupants of Fort Mackinac and apparently the Jesuits too, took place. The Indians were here long before all of this and copper points have been found by others who have told me that the copper items are 3000 to 5000 years old...I am not sure about those dates. I have heard that the Jesuits were going about trying to Christianize the native Americans as early as the mid 1600's in this area too. My mom did find a Jesuit ring in our back yard. But again I really am not confident with those dates either...I just have not done the research. I do have a book about Fort Mackinac and what kind of things were unearthed there (By U of M if I can trust them!) and all of the items below are in that book and they date the items from 1720 to 1760 or so. So there is some more background info of my area.

I used the Equinox 900 with the small coil which was key to my main find. I came across a 21 signal which is just under a nickel and was a target I was definitely interested in. But I noticed that there were all kinds of beeps around it ranging from 7 to 14. When I dug up the 21 signal it was a pc of trade silver in a triangle shape with a hole. Awesome! then I dug up the 10 signal about 2 inches away and lo and behold it was another pc of trade silver about 1/4" x 1/4" in size. For the next hour I dug about 30 pcs of small trade silver! I was in disbelief.

Name:  silver dirt.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  letter.jpg
Size:  105.3 KB
    Name:  silver in hand.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  40.9 KB

The item above I originally thought it was a kettle point but after a rubbed it some silver started showing through and then it cleaned up quite nice. Perhaps the silver was not always 90% pure. Maybe this pc was tarnished because it had more copper in it?
    Name:  book1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  book2.jpg
Size:  70.5 KB
    One of my favorite finds was an accidental one. I was about 2 ft away from the main hole and got a scratchy 10 signal and I found an iron arrowhead! There was also a pc of silver in with it.

Name:  iron.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  arrowhead.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  tinklers.jpg
Size:  87.6 KB

Below is a silver ear ring! I found one last year too and dates back to the early occupancy of Fort Mackinac.

Name:  earring.jpg
Size:  90.0 KB

Below is something that I have some questions about. It is a silver cross that was likely cut from larger pcs of trade silver. The Jesuits were around trying to Christianize the native Americans and supposedly were around in the 1600's doing this...not sure when they left though. I am wondering if this was related to them? Or perhaps this was just a design and not Jesuit related at all? I found two of these about 15-20 ft away from the main trade silver hole. It also appears to me that all the small squares of silver could go into the corners of these crosses. So was this spot where they made these crosses?

Name:  cross.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  49.9 KB

The main hole had about 40 pcs of silver and I found another 20 plus in a 20 ft circle around the main hole. The rest of the silver came in yards of my other family's cottages. I also found most of the tinkling cones with the silver pcs. In total there is 68 pcs of 1700's trade era silver. I found 2-3 more after I took the below picture.

Name:  all silver.jpg
Size:  98.2 KB

So it was a fun 3-4 days at my cottage! The fishing sucked but the dirtfishing was ridiculous!

I found most of these with the Nox 900 with the small coil. That was key to help separate signals that were literally lying side by side with each other and modern pcs of trash. Minelab has yet to come out with the other coils for the Manticore. I did make a few videos so I will put them all together sooner than later and put it on youtube.

Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 05-08-2023 at 07:35 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Jared, I am speechless at your finds! Truly amazing location and such early American history. I suspect the little silver squares are the cut-outs from making the crosses. They don't seem to be repurposed for any other use (e.g., holes drilled). I love the fact that parts of hallmarks can be seen on some of the pieces. The silver earring is a real day-maker, that's for sure. I'm also partial to those early military buttons. Well done, and thanks so much for sharing with us. Best wishes and happy digging, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I'm speechless. That's a crazy amount of silver!

Just more absolutely gorgeous buttons Bucknut. All those trade goods just put that hunt as one of the best I have ever seen posted. Wow! I can't wait to see the videos.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member
    Thx for posting the great pictures. Amazing finds. Thx WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

UNREAL!!!!!! Jared, do the pros, historians and archeologists know about this site? Do you think they'd care? I wouldn't even think about the fishing pole . Where will the video be? Thanks!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    UNREAL!!!!!! Jared, do the pros, historians and archeologists know about this site? Do you think they'd care? I wouldn't even think about the fishing pole . Where will the video be? Thanks!!!
    Yes other people know all about the area where my cottage is and others have done lots of detecting but I do not think that they have found what I have found...well not in the quantity I have any ways. It is funny that you ask about the historians and if they care...I was chatting with my Mom about the crosses in particular and thought that they would be cool to donate to the local museum. My mom said that the current person in charge over there is anti metal detecting and that all artifacts belong to the state or general public for all to enjoy. All of my finds came on private property with permission from owners so everything I found is now mine. It is too bad in my opinion that metal detecting is viewed like that by some people.

I have not put the video together...probably a couple weeks. I will let you all know when I do. my videos are not the best.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 05-08-2023 at 08:45 AM.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

What incredible find Jared! You surely found the hotspot of those times and obviously have a lot more to find. It's also unfortunate that your museum has such an attitude against detecting, but it seems to be par for the course. I'm guessing it's probably part of the university brainwashing they get while getting their degrees, as this seems pretty universal across the country in most every museum and university archaeology department. I would also be wary of the government getting involved where they could determine that your lands are historical areas thus banning your detecting activities. The officials in my state are probably a lot like yours and would much rather any artifacts never see the light of day than to allow anyone but themselves recover them.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Wow, what wonderful finds Jared! Such amazing relics you found there. Keep it up!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

OK I just uploaded video showing some of the clips of the finds above. The first part is the site where we have found lots of buttons and it is just such a peaceful spot. You can hear the waves hitting the beach about 50 yards away. The other clips are from my yard and my uncle's yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HAKmXRDIR4

1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Very cool Jared. I wish I had an uncle with a yard like that !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WOW!! What an amazing assortment of finds. Beautiful!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com