Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On Found Ring

Thoughts On Found Ring

Back in July I found the following small ring at a town common, which I posted here. It was relatively deep in hard-packed soil. I thought it was brass, though coinnut and Tanacat did comment that it may be gold. It turns out that they may be right.

John (midas) tested the ring today using the 22k kit, and there was no reaction whatsoever. stretcher: He tested a scrape on a stone and also placed a drop of the liquid on the inside of the band. Nothing happened. stretcher: John believes it to be 22k or higher. The ring appears to be hand-fashioned and vintage. Any ideas on it though? Has anyone seen anything similar?

Re: Thoughts On Found Ring

I really think it was brought back from Europe and it just screams Midieval to me. Just looks much older than we have here. And the fact of 22K and above is very unusual, and also makes me think very old. ID'ing the stone helps a bit. Could it be an Emerald?? I really have a good feeling about that one Angel.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I really think it was brought back from Europe and it just screams Midieval to me. Just looks much older than we have here. And the fact of 22K and above is very unusual, and also makes me think very old. ID'ing the stone helps a bit. Could it be an Emerald?? I really have a good feeling about that one Angel.
    That's the thought that keeps coming to me, that it is from medieval times. I just don't know, but it sure would be exciting if it is. It is a hefty ring for being so small. John commented on it as soon as he held it, and even before testing it felt that it was gold.

Looks like it is straight out of the corn fields of England You been sneaking out to Europe Angel? lol

lol lol

I wonder if I sleep walk. lol

Angel there were no marks at all on the inside of the band or very small on the outside in the design . it would be extremely odd that a 22k or more gold ring wouldn't have anykind of mark.i'd say get a positive id on the stone by a jeweler and some can even date a piece by the techniques they use back then to make jewelry . a very nice looking piece .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yea, that's a great looking ring and it's huge. Looks like gold to me.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Angel there were no marks at all on the inside of the band or very small on the outside in the design . it would be extremely odd that a 22k or more gold ring wouldn't have anykind of mark.i'd say get a positive id on the stone by a jeweler and some can even date a piece by the techniques they use back then to make jewelry . a very nice looking piece .
    It is odd. I was almost certain the ring was brass when I dug it up, as I did not see any markings anywhere, though the base under the stone still had a bit of soil on it at the time. There is no karat indication on the inside or anywhere on the outside of the band that I can make out, but there is a marking of what appears to be letters (or perhaps numbers?) right under where the stone is held. I took some photos, so hopefully someone will be able to identify them. I'm not sure what the stone may be, so I also took a close-up photo of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myownwings View Post
    Yea, that's a great looking ring and it's huge. Looks like gold to me.
    It does look large in the original photo. lol It's actually a small ring, but it is heavy for its size. It doesn't even fit on the tip of my pinkie finger. lol The person who owned it must have been quite small.... or a child.

Elite Member

It could be gold. The marking looks to be the Jewerlers mark who made it. I have seen jewerly like this come from India and it is very high karat, as even still they view anything less than 18k junk. It could be from middle east or Asia is my bet. It was not uncommon for in the Victorian era for people to travel there, especially from the Springfield, MA area wehere there was money.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

The ring looks cast, probably sand cast. the stone can be anything from glass (hopefully Venetian lol), a mildly polished emerald, or some type of jade. I'm refining my age estimate after seeing the marks and technique used in making it. My guess now includes not only the Midievil era but a lot older too lol You need to send a picture to someone who knows their ancient as well as Midievil through 18th century jewelry. I would be shocked if it was made in the 1800's and up. I wish some of our over the pond friends would comment on it. They have a vast network of documentation on these type of finds. Maybe they could at least tell us if it is more modern than I think it is. Identifying the items on the sides of the stone would help also. Ahhh what the heck, I'll give ya 3 bucks for it Angel lol

Is that 3 followed by three zeros? rofl

That would be something if it ends up being from medieval time or older. The town common where I found it is quite old. The depth at which it was found, and its being in hard-packed soil, would indicate that the ring had been there for some time. As you noted earlier, it likely was brought over from Europe. I sure hope it is as old as it seems to indicate. But if not, at least now I know it is gold.

I tend to go along with George on believing it may be older than medieval . It took a very skilled artisan to design and make such a ring and you can be sure he received plenty of Drachmas for his work ( unless he was a slave) .

The fact that the ring is so huge but made to fit such a small finger suggests someone of great wealth had it made for their child , maybe given to Tut as a tot?
    As far as how it got to that town common heaven knows .

Those markings on the inside have me baffled as to wether they are Asian , middle eastern symbols or small faces atop each other .I'm also wondering if those leaves or flowers on the sides of the ring are native to the locale of where the ring originated .

Nice going on those pictures also , it's pretty hard to get the lighting and the angle right to get that kind of fine detail .

Huge congrats , out of all your great finds this may be the daddy of them all . Good thing you found it in the good old U.S.A anywhere else it may have been grabbed as a Historical treasure .

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty View Post
    I tend to go along with George on believing it may be older than medieval . It took a very skilled artisan to design and make such a ring and you can be sure he received plenty of Drachmas for his work ( unless he was a slave) .

The fact that the ring is so huge but made to fit such a small finger suggests someone of great wealth had it made for their child , maybe given to Tut as a tot?
    As far as how it got to that town common heaven knows .

Those markings on the inside have me baffled as to wether they are Asian , middle eastern symbols or small faces atop each other .I'm also wondering if those leaves or flowers on the sides of the ring are native to the locale of where the ring originated .

Nice going on those pictures also , it's pretty hard to get the lighting and the angle right to get that kind of fine detail .

Huge congrats , out of all your great finds this may be the daddy of them all . Good thing you found it in the good old U.S.A anywhere else it may have been grabbed as a Historical treasure .
    Thanks, Sheik. thumbsup01 I have tried looking at the markings through a loupe in the hopes of making out the symbols, but I haven't been able to determine what they are. Excellent point on the design on the side of the ring. It should provide hints as to the ring's probable origin.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    The depth at which it was found, and its being in hard-packed soil, would indicate that the ring had been there for some time.
    Now that is quite possibly the understatement of the decade lol

I did some searches and other rings that look similar are pre-medieval, and usually 22k-24k gold. I would bet that this is the most remarkable and valuable of all your finds.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Now that is quite possibly the understatement of the decade lol

I did some searches and other rings that look similar are pre-medieval, and usually 22k-24k gold. I would bet that this is the most remarkable and valuable of all your finds.
    Didn't you know? I'm Captain Obvious. lol

Yeah, I was looking through some sites dealing in pre-medieval items, and the ring sure resembles the artistry and design of the period. The acid test showed that the ring is 22k or better. Now it's just a matter of determining the era.

I'm not taking any chances, so I placed it at the bank safe along with my other valuables.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Didn't you know? I'm Captain Obvious. lol

Yeah, I was looking through some sites dealing in pre-medieval items, and the ring sure resembles the artistry and design of the period. The acid test showed that the ring is 22k or better. Now it's just a matter of determining the era.

I'm not taking any chances, so I placed it at the bank safe along with my other valuables.

That must be one LARGE bank safe!!!! lol lol lol
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post

That must be one LARGE bank safe!!!! lol lol lol

Elite Member

I do a lot of work with the Hannoush family. Take it up to the Eastfield Mall in Springfield where they now have their ship store, ask for Peter Hannoush, tell him your attorney, Robert Walker sent you and that you are trying to find some information out about the ring. Just thought if any of my contacts could help, I'd offer. You got me curious too.....

George and i were discussing that ring on saturday , it has alot of the qualities a those spanish shipwreck pieces you see every now and then Angel , those qualities being kind of hand fashioned guady looking jewelry made from very yellow high karat gold usually 22 to 24 kt and the stone looks to be possibly emerald and a cabochon style which was the most common stone taken from the south and central America's and i could see a pirate or shipwrecked salavaged piece being up here in these parts more commonly .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I do a lot of work with the Hannoush family. Take it up to the Eastfield Mall in Springfield where they now have their ship store, ask for Peter Hannoush, tell him your attorney, Robert Walker sent you and that you are trying to find some information out about the ring. Just thought if any of my contacts could help, I'd offer. You got me curious too.....
    Thanks, Rob! thumbsup01 I am really curious about the probable origin of the ring too.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    George and i were discussing that ring on saturday , it has alot of the qualities a those spanish shipwreck pieces you see every now and then Angel , those qualities being kind of hand fashioned guady looking jewelry made from very yellow high karat gold usually 22 to 24 kt and the stone looks to be possibly emerald and a cabochon style which was the most common stone taken from the south and central America's and i could see a pirate or shipwrecked salavaged piece being up here in these parts more commonly .
    Now that would be something else. I sure hope the stone is emerald. Whatever the end result, it's been an interesting piece, and a find I won't forget anytime soon.