Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On Found Ring

Re: Thoughts On Found Ring

Nice find! I'm no expert but didn't gold get stamped in karats in a certain year and if it's marked solid gold than it's before the 1800's?It definitely looks like a one of a kind and made all with ancient tools. What about contacting an antique dealer. I think there is a website called Ruby Lane which deals in antiques. Google the name and see if they would take a look at your pics. I know I have seen Victorian antiques on their sight, but it could be something brought over from England a looooooong time ago. Could be worth 5 or 6 figures who knows. I vote it the find of the year. Just stay away from that GOOD OLE TOM Guy rofl
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I can't see how the stone is held in there and see how crude the rim around the stone is, that strange. Those symbols on the sides must mean someting also. If you look at it from the side, it looks like a face of some kind,no? Maybe pirates? I would bring it to an antique dealer and have it cleaned and buffed. The stone is very dull looking which means it was never buffed or has been in the ground a very long time (maybe 300-400plus years). Also I've ben looking at stones and I can't figure what it is.Maybe Jade? Definitely a natural stone considering the gold is 22k which I think is the highest you can go. Some are stamped 24k but really are 22k from what a jewelry store told me. Could be worth at least a few thousand Retail or more. Depends on the stone type. What the heck, Have it cleaned by a proffessional and tell them you will wait while it's being cleaned, buffed etc..
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I would like to see better, cleaner pictures of the images on the sides of the ring. Looks Aztec or Mayan... maybe a dragon? Or some Inca or Nazca symbol. I thought you were a silver guy? Cool ring for sure.
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

No new ideas from me in addition to what has been said here so far, but I think, but as someone did state this could turn out to be your best find so far!!! <:
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Wow! I am really curious to see what it is.
    Please keep us updated on what you find.
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Heres a link from an old gold ring with a dull green stone. Do you have anymore info on what it may be?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ing-with-green
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    Heres a link from an old gold ring with a dull green stone. Do you have anymore info on what it may be?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ing-with-green
    I haven't found any additional info on the ring and have not taken it to a jeweler. I need to do that soon. I have seen several rings with similar characteristics, and with stones like the one on the photo from that link.

So can you tell if the symbols on the side are floral patterns or animals or...? Was watching ancient aliens last night and it looked very south american...

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    So can you tell if the symbols on the side are floral patterns or animals or...? Was watching ancient aliens last night and it looked very south american...
    I had taken photos of both sides of the ring. I placed them side by side in the following image. They do allow for a better view of the details. The design does look floral, or that of a fruit bearing plant.

Seen some Middle East, Iranian jewelry with similar designs and structure. More I look the more I like.

It just screams very old to me lol Not like anything we should be finding around here. Completely out of character. Someone who lost that had it as a special piece and probably paid dearly for something so old. I still think it's an emerald in that setting Hope it turns out to be at least 1000 years old lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I better get the ring to a jeweler pronto! lol As some have pointed out, this one might very well turn out to be my best find this year.

Every time I stare into that green eye I feel like I lose a little bit of my soul...
    You may have solved the riddle of the crystal skulls and can save us all from 12/21/12...
    I can't seem to find the perfect jewelry forum to post it in but this one might get some action:
    [url=http://forum.langantiques.com/viewforum.php?f=18]http://forum.langantiques.com/viewforum.php?f=1/url]

That looks like a great site. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    Ditto.

If you don't take that ring to get looked at Angel, I will have to come up there and do it for you.
    The suspense is killing me!
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Quote Originally Posted by BillZ View Post
    Ditto.

If you don't take that ring to get looked at Angel, I will have to come up there and do it for you.
    The suspense is killing me!
    You might have to lol

He procrastinates over these things. It is probably back in the I'll get to it later pile

I am anxious to hear the outcome too.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

The natives are getting restless Angel!!! 8) rofl
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

yes you know what that old saying is curiosity killed the ring bearer because the natives grew restless and started a riot lol lol lol stop procrastinating and get us some intel
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Restless is right. lol Okay guys, I did post an inquiry at the Antique Jewelry site and received a reply, apparently confirming what we all suspect, and suggesting I take the ring to a museum dealing in ancient jewelry. Now I am really curious.

Thanks for that link, Diggler!