Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On Found Ring

Re: Thoughts On Found Ring

I received a reply on another inquiry I had sent to a gemologist to see if he could identify the stone on the ring, but he was unable to provide a conclusive identification since the stone isn't polished and the photo does not provide enough detail. He did indicate that it may be Jade or nephrite, a type of Jade. His suggestion was to have the stone examine in person by a qualified gemologist.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the ring originated in China? Perhaps the markings on the inside of the band are faded Chinese characters?

OK I'll go as far as Persia, but I'm sticking to the emerald part rofl Hope you can find out what it is. It kinda does look like Jade. I am still hoping it's a roughly polished emerald though :-\ It's definitely far from home, that's for sure
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    OK I'll go as far as Persia, but I'm sticking to the emerald part rofl Hope you can find out what it is. It kinda does look like Jade. I am still hoping it's a roughly polished emerald though :-\ It's definitely far from home, that's for sure
    I'm hoping for emerald too. I may need to make a trip to Britain to talk to the museum folks there. lol

...still waiting
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

man this is kill me we need to know now any way it go still a SWEEET find <: <: <: <: <:
    TDI Pro MXT Pro Mxt V3i 4x6 6x10 9 1/2 10" 12 super 9x14 12"DF 7.5 DF dx-1 garrett pro pointer

One of the posters at the Antique Jewelry site opined that the ring's style appears to be of Eastern origin. Read the comments HERE.

My offer of 3 dollars still stands Angel lol But I want the little gumball capsule that it originally came with So it looks like maybe a 1500's piece or a shipwreck salvage piece. The plot thickens

My offer of 3 dollars still stands Angel lol But I want the little gumball capsule that it originally came with So it looks like maybe a 1500's piece or a shipwreck salvage piece. The plot thickens
    The gumball capsule has already been tossed. lol And I think you forgot to add a few zeroes after that 3.

I am trying to see if I can get information from one of the British museums. Who knows, maybe someone there will be nice enough to reply.

I received a reply from the The Victoria and Albert Museum in London England on an inquiry I had submitted back on November 17th. Unfortunately, they are stumped too as to the identity of the ring. The following was the reply:

Dear Angel

I am very sorry that we have drawn a blank on your ring. Your enquiry was forwarded to me on 18 November and not recognizing it as of a European type, I forwarded it at once to our Asian department which covers North Africa and the Middle East as well as India, China and Japan. I have heard today that their various sections have considered the ring and regret very much that they do not recognize the style, nor can they make out the marks.

I would not expect a ring of this style and marked in this way to be European in origin, but I am very sorry that we cannot take you any further.

I also submitted an inquiry to the Prehistory and Europe Department of the British Museum but I have not received a reply. I guess the probable origin of the ring will remain a mystery.

Told you it was only worth 3 bucks lol I bet if you showed them the gumball case, they would have recognized it immediately I'm amazed that they could not even ID the country of origin Wow, that makes it even more mysterious I hope someone gets back to you. I would have thought that with all the ancient artifacts recovered in the UK, this would be an easy one for them.

Told you it was only worth 3 bucks lol I bet if you showed them the gumball case, they would have recognized it immediately I'm amazed that they could not even ID the country of origin Wow, that makes it even more mysterious I hope someone gets back to you. I would have thought that with all the ancient artifacts recovered in the UK, this would be an easy one for them.
    The gumball case may be more valuable. lol

Yeah, I was surprised that they were not able to identify anything about its probable origin. Bummer. :-\ Well, it is a 22kt ring, and it is likely of some age, so it is still a win for me.

Still, I do hope someone at the British Museum is kind enough to reply.

Holy guacamole! Hmm... Hard to believe.
    Wonder if Chrisites would know...?

http://www.christies.com/valuationdays/

Antique Roadshow...?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/ontheroad.html

The Pope...?

http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

AAAHAHAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

rofl rofl rofl rofl
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

I believe the Pope wants his ring back Angel

I can't believe this thread is on its third page. rofl Thanks for the additional links, Diggler. I wasn't going to pursue it further, but I may send an inquiry to the Antique Roadshow site. It's worth a try anyway.

I believe the Pope wants his ring back Angel
    Only in exchange for permission to detect at certain sites. lol

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    I can't believe this thread is on its third page. rofl
    And the ring is probably back in its original position in the 'get-to-it-later-meaning-never' pile lol rofl

I can just visualize the Antique Roadshow truck pulling into your driveway Angel. lol

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    And the ring is probably back in its original position in the 'get-to-it-later-meaning-never' pile lol rofl

I can just visualize the Antique Roadshow truck pulling into your driveway Angel. lol
    Hey, don't laugh, they may tell me I'm sitting on a gold mine. lol Though the likely outcome is that I'll end up selling it to George for the three dollars he offered. rofl

Well, I just received a response from the The British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe on the inquiry I sent them back in November. It was kind of them to reply.

The consensus from the curators is that the ring is likely no older than the 19th century. So there you have it, the ring is apparently not as old as I had hoped, but probably from the 1800's. It was a sweet ride while it lasted though. lol

In any case it is still an old ring of apparent craftsmanship, and at the very least it is 22kt gold too.

Here is the response:

Dear Angel

Thank you for your enquiry and images of a ring in your possession. It is always difficult to give a definitive opinion from images alone, however, I have circulated your enquiry to the relevant curators. The consensus is that it is unlikely to be earlier than the nineteenth century (though 22ct gold is unusual but not impossible) but there is nothing comparable in our collections.

You could try emailing an image to other museums for additional/second opinions and if you are interested in selling it then you could consult reputable auction houses in your area.

Hmmm. I don't buy it lol Not one bit of it rofl I'm not sure the construction of the ring matches the age bracket they gave. I think it's just a wild guess on their part, but hey what do I know

Hmmm. I don't buy it lol Not one bit of it rofl I'm not sure the construction of the ring matches the age bracket they gave. I think it's just a wild guess on their part, but hey what do I know
    So you are still going to have me pulling my hair, of which I don't have any by the way? rofl

I will give some other sites a try, though I think at this point that having someone from an auction house dealing in antiques take a look at the ring itself may perhaps be the way to go.