Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minelab E-Trac

Minelab E-Trac

I wanted to start this thread for all the questions and answers about the E-Trac and any technical information you want to share (settings, etc...). This is the place to tell us all about your experiences or if you're curious about the E-Trac in general.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Re: Minelab E-Trac Questions and Answers

Great machine but takes a while to get used to it. I give it a big thumbsup01 up!!
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

I'm getting one as soon as I can find a deal somewhere. Winter's comming and I'll be using my DFX untill next Spring. I'll definity start the season next year with one. I want to check it out..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
    I'm getting one as soon as I can find a deal somewhere. Winter's comming and I'll be using my DFX untill next Spring. I'll definity start the season next year with one. I want to check it out..

Bruce
    Bruce go to TreasureNet.com under classifieds there going from $800-$1000 pretty new and not used that much. I guess some people just can't handle them.

$800!!! That's a steal. Better hurry up Bruce before I buy another one.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

I would jump on that deal if I didn't already have one, though a backup may not hurt.

I've been looking all over but they get snatched up as soon as they are offered. Got all winter to get mine.. Thanks!

Bruce

Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
    I've been looking all over but they get snatched up as soon as they are offered. Got all winter to get mine.. Thanks!

Bruce
    Hi! Bruce there's one on Treasurnet for $1000.00 and you may get it for $800.00 or $900.00.

Brand new E-Trac user here. Today was my first chance to swing my new coil. Man, I hate learning a new machine. It's definately different from my old whites. I plan on using it every spare chance I can find so that I can learn it ASAP.

I had a lot of pinpointing troubles, didn't find anything old, but I did get silver!

I still wish I could perform a vulcan mind meld with Angel to know everything he has learned from his extensive use of this machine.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Brand new E-Trac user here. Today was my first chance to swing my new coil. Man, I hate learning a new machine. It's definately different from my old whites. I plan on using it every spare chance I can find so that I can learn it ASAP.

I had a lot of pinpointing troubles, didn't find anything old, but I did get silver!

I still wish I could perform a vulcan mind meld with Angel to know everything he has learned from his extensive use of this machine.
    Hang in Jason, it will come. Especially after using a White's, the Minelab will take a bit of getting used to, but I think you will like it

No vulcan mind melds probably, but you can pick his brain here
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Epi is right. Coming from the White's side, I had major difficulties with the Minelab pinpointing. White's is by far better at pinpointing, but with a little time you'll be pinpointing no problem. The first few outings are the hardest if you're new to a Minelab. Even then, my very first hunt I found two wheats I had missed with my MXT. That alone was enough for me to keep at it.

I still have some trouble with pinpointing sometimes. With coins though, it's dead on usually, after some practice.

That depth meter, though.... they need to do something. I would buy an updated version if they would just improve the depth meter.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

I only seem to have issues pinpointing with on edge coins and rusty nails that act like coins. Steve has seen the same problem. It can pinpoint up to 4 off.

And as for the depth meter, AARGH! That thing is crazy off on some shallow targets. Usually spot on with the deep ones though.

Okay Dale, tell me this... and I'm asking you because you, like myself, indicated that you are somewhat challenged when it comes to discerning the subtle difference between tones for certain coins

You said above that some of the silver dimes (particularly the deeper ones) are coming in at CO 42-43, maybe not even hitting 44. That has been my experience lately too, and I don't think it is because they are on edge. If there is trash or other targets nearby it can affect the CO but usually slowing down will allow to be able to pick through it and hit solidly on the coin, and the numbers will look more like what is expected. As you said, it seems to be the deeper coins and in particular the ones that are more worn and tarnished that read lower.

But my question is... can you hear a difference in the tone? Does a silver coin that comes in at 43-44, like your barber yesterday, 'sound' like a silver dime instead of a clad dime?

Re: Minelab E-Trac

OK, second day out with my E-Trac, second silver! I went back to the park I found the medallion at. Things seemed to go a liitle smoother. I gave up on several solid targets that indicated as being about 2-3 inches deep. Then I got a solid 12-42 that showed 5 inches. At 5 inches I had nothing. I kept going. Finally, at about 8-9 inches I pulled a crumpled piece of metal out. It wasn't very big, but it's deeper than any other coin sized target I've dug. It was a loud and clear signal too. After this I started to feel better about the machine, but wondering if I could attach my E-Trac to a self-powered auger. Then I got another identical signal, and pulled a coin from 5 inches. I thought it was a penny. I couldn't see anything on it. it was crusty, corroded, and even had rust in the corrosion. I finally picked at it enough to see a reeded edge!! It's currently soaking. It has to be the ugliest silver coin ever. I don't even know if I will be able to see what it is. I THINK it's a Merc because there is a raised line in the middle of one side. I also found two coppers in equal condition, but I can't tell anything about them yet.

I'll post pics when I get them cleaned up a bit more.

I need to go back and start gridding this park.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

OK, second day out with my E-Trac, second silver! I went back to the park I found the medallion at. Things seemed to go a liitle smoother. I gave up on several solid targets that indicated as being about 2-3 inches deep. Then I got a solid 12-42 that showed 5 inches. At 5 inches I had nothing. I kept going. Finally, at about 8-9 inches I pulled a crumpled piece of metal out. It wasn't very big, but it's deeper than any other coin sized target I've dug. It was a loud and clear signal too. After this I started to feel better about the machine, but wondering if I could attach my E-Trac to a self-powered auger. Then I got another identical signal, and pulled a coin from 5 inches. I thought it was a penny. I couldn't see anything on it. it was crusty, corroded, and even had rust in the corrosion. I finally picked at it enough to see a reeded edge!! It's currently soaking. It has to be the ugliest silver coin ever. I don't even know if I will be able to see what it is. I THINK it's a Merc because there is a raised line in the middle of one side. I also found two coppers in equal condition, but I can't tell anything about them yet.

Hey, ugly silver is still silver

Congrats Jason! That is awesome for twice out. Do you have the SunRay X-1, because you're going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Okay Dale, tell me this... and I'm asking you because you, like myself, indicated that you are somewhat challenged when it comes to discerning the subtle difference between tones for certain coins

You said above that some of the silver dimes (particularly the deeper ones) are coming in at CO 42-43, maybe not even hitting 44. That has been my experience lately too, and I don't think it is because they are on edge. If there is trash or other targets nearby it can affect the CO but usually slowing down will allow to be able to pick through it and hit solidly on the coin, and the numbers will look more like what is expected. As you said, it seems to be the deeper coins and in particular the ones that are more worn and tarnished that read lower.

But my question is... can you hear a difference in the tone? Does a silver coin that comes in at 43-44, like your barber yesterday, 'sound' like a silver dime instead of a clad dime?
    Angie, I noticed that yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was just me or not considering that I don't do tones well. They do seem to sound like silver dimes (CO 46). The one I found yesterday was not on edge and it did sound like a CO 46. I'm glad you noticed that too, I'm not crazy after all!

Very nice, Jason! I would love to see the photos!

I suspect that gridding that entire area will yield you some very nice finds.

Yeah, the oddly shaped targets, such as the one you dug up, will generally not pinpoint very accurately, nor will the depth be what the depth gauge calculates it to be. I have had such types of targets come in at about 8 inches, and then I end up digging holes of 12 or more. the probe comes in very handy then. Deep coins will generally be closer to the depth the gauge is indicating, though it tends to be off on shallower ones.

Nice! I think you're getting the hang of it. 8)

Those who are looking to try or are currently trying out an E-Trac may find the following helpful in shortening their learning curve.

E-Trac User Settings

And of course, use this thread as a resource to ask questions, exchange settings, and share the experiences you are having using the machine.