Thread: meteorites

meteorites

Can we find these with our MD's? I know coinnut knows.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: meteorites

Ummmm, yeah we can. That's how most are found today. I'm sure some models are better at it than others.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    Coinnut knows all!!!! lol

I hunt them regularly in northwest Arizona and southern Nevada. Yes, you can find them with your detector.

Be prepared for a lot of heartbreak, because unlike ducks...things that look like meteorites often are not.

Out here in the desert, most meteorites are either right on the surface or just a couple of inches below. One of the best tools is a rare-earth magnet on a stick.

Regarding detectors...any detector will work as meteorites are mostly iron composite with nickel occurring naturally. I use a Gold Bug II (71kHz) and my wife uses an MXT. However, I've found them with a V3i and my Surfmaster PI. It really doesn't matter much. I use the GBII because there are many dry washes in the desert that contain small gold nuggets.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I have looked for years with no luck. Lots of meteorwrongs. Also walked fence lines of plowed fields looking for strange rocks that farmers toss to the side. Nada. The stony chondrites have no metal, erode slower, and are hardest to find. Years before Meteorite Men came out I got an autographed book from THE Meteorite Man, Robert Haag. Got me motivated but still no luck.
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    I wish I did lol Then I could be that rich guy who never works and hunts for meteorites all day long What a life that would be. Some of the larger ones can fetch some serious cash, but you have to have that bucket loader to dig them. I don't think I have ever found one around here, some iron ore maybe, but not the real deal.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I found something a while back and wonderedthinkingabout: It looks like and is heavy like a Meteorite, but I found it is a bit magnetic. I heard that if it is magnetic, it is a meteowrong. Any truth to that

Quote Originally Posted by Dinger51 View Post
    I found something a while back and wonderedthinkingabout: It looks like and is heavy like a Meteorite, but I found it is a bit magnetic. I heard that if it is magnetic, it is a meteowrong. Any truth to that
    Meteorites are strongly attracted to magnets. They can be magnetized, but don't act as a magnet naturally.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.