View Poll Results: POLL: Since you started using you Vision/V3/V3i how many bad D2 coils have you had?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

16 48.48%
  • 1 Bad Coil

9 27.27%
  • 2 Bad Coils

3 9.09%
  • 3 Bad Coils

4 12.12%
  • 4 or More Bad Coils

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

Re: How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

I have one on each the dfx and vision for a couple of years now and neither has gone bad yet. Had a bad 4x6 that was replaced.
    cliffy
    Vision*Dfx*Eagle Spectrum*GMII*
    Fisher Goldbug*Tesoro Eldorado*
    Minelab 3500*

I've had one replaced by White's on my V3i. Sure think highly of their customer service!!! Fast and Friendly, for sure! thumbsup01

w.w.
    E-TRAC, V3i, DFX
    Oldest coin detected: 1854 half dollar

Replaced one,,,I haven't had much chance to use the other,,,,,but when I did ,,it did fine
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Candidate Member

I'm using the eclipse DD (6x9 I think) on mine. I got my first D2 when I still had the DFX ... didn't care for the D2 ( to many falses) and got rid of it. Then I got the V3 with the D2 and still had the same issues with the coil. After sending the first one back and getting a new one and still having problems I tried the 950 coil from my DFX and it worked great, but it had to go with the DFX when I sold it, so I sent the D2 (number 2 for the V3) coil back and whites agreed to send me a V rated 950 coil in its place. It worked better, but was too hot for the areas I was searching so I tried my DD and it worked fantasticly, so I have kept it on ever since ... Hello all BTW ... it's be a while.
    ****Vincit qui patitur****

Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Hello all BTW ... it's be a while.
    Hey Diz, welcome back
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

We missed you Diz!
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Candidate Member

Thanks guys. Long story short, I've had some health issues and some family issues to deal with in the last year and a half or so, and haven't been able to get out much. My mom is now living with us and I gave her an Garrett Treasure ACE 100. She has really gotten into MDing the few times we have gone out. I hope to be posting more now that things have settled down here.
    ****Vincit qui patitur****

Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Thanks guys. Long story short, I've had some health issues and some family issues to deal with in the last year and a half or so, and haven't been able to get out much. My mom is now living with us and I gave her an Garrett Treasure ACE 100. She has really gotten into MDing the few times we have gone out. I hope to be posting more now that things have settled down here.
    Well then it sounds like a new year is just what you need thumbsup01 Glad things are easing up for you Diz.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I have 2. One is white label and i'm sure it was original on my V3. That was April 2009.
    The other is red (orange) label and i got it on e-bay. The white one i haven't had out yet. The red one i have only used on my DFX. I'll test them someday!
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

I didn't vote because I use a MXT but have 2 of the D2 coils both work fine but have had 2 bad 300MM coils the last time that happened they sent me a D2 as I was over the 300MM coils. When they worked they were great but started overloading anything above preset and got worse from there till the point they would overload before preset gain.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

HELLO Jack , and the forum .

I had 1 bad d2, it would cause a reading when tapped.

Replacement d2 did pass rx 15 AND tx Boost when new , now only passes rx15, tx boost and rx12 .
    Low to medium mineralized soil. .
    Spectra V3 1.3 V nulled coils- 10DD , 4x6 , Supper 12, 950, 5.3.
    XLT 950 , 15" 6" and BIGFOOT
    Minelabexplorer 10" ,8", SR X-1

...31 bad to 14 good ones. And that's only the coil issue....

So glad I could sell mine without a loss.

Whites was lame when they didn't just do a total recall/replacement for all of those with the serial numbered, bad lots. I can't hardly conceive the numbers of coils some here have had pay to to send back. Whites only gets so much understanding from me after reading about all of these who have experienced this mush aggravation and expense . Makes me wonder why Whites never just honestly admitted the defect, and just fix it without causing all of the people to pay the shipping and all. hmmmm. Pay the piper is what I always say. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the checkbook balance total for all the expenses for returning these known bad lots of anything they sale, is more than a nuisance, it is the dollars & cents. If it a factory defect, replace it for free, no questions asked. martin

Martini:Jack from pa here.Can you tell me where a serial # is located on the coil.I suspect I could have one with an issuethinkingabout:I have looked at the available posts nowhere can I find an explicit yes or no .The home air tests seem ok? the field is another matter.This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil.Thanks .....Jack from pa

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by leojack View Post
    Martini:Jack from pa here.Can you tell me where a serial # is located on the coil.I suspect I could have one with an issuethinkingabout:I have looked at the available posts nowhere can I find an explicit yes or no .The home air tests seem ok? the field is another matter.This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil.Thanks .....Jack from pa
    They're on the ears on the coil that attach to the lower rod.
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

I went out yesterday and could not turn the mxt above ten without an overload. Could not ground balance and could not swing it at all without it beeping and showing a false vdi in the air. It has been known to act up a little but I think it is totally shot now. Back to the shop with this d2. I unplugged the coil and machine ran real stable. Has to be the coil.
    One find at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by leojack View Post
    This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil

Serial numbers in any production line most always by nature, run in the time window it was manufactured. A serial number is usually the best indicator of that production run's process time in cases where failures are indicated. It works that way in other manufacturing, which I have worked in. I would expect that White's could check their database on SNs surrounding those which has come back as failures. I'm just generalizing how the rest of the manufacturing world finds their process problems. It should be the same in this case to a good extent. martin

Martin, some coils are bad right from the start. This will not mean they were bad in the factory. But depending to faulty components, epoxy and thermistors i.e., the one or other went bad just while being shipped. And some went bad 18 month later.
    Think it's hard to make this issues out on a serial.

I was under the impression from reading posts about bad epoxy bonds that there was a manufacturing reason, and people were saying, They've corrected the problem now. That still leads me to the SN as a logical, first place for Whites to focus on. If it was simply all that you say, then we'd be having lots of new 10 D2 coils still failing at the same fast pace, right? martin

From that point of view you're absolotely correct, Martin. This could exclude the epoxy problem. (may be... )