Thread: Wheats and a Ring

Wheats and a Ring

Made an effort to get out of my comfort zone today and hit some old parks looking for silver. I'm not a big fan of parks - too much junk, and for that reason I am typically a school yard hunter. At any rate, I quickly hit a couple of tot lots first thing this morning and then an old park a few towns over that I had hunted once before. During that last hunt I scored a nice coin spill comprised of three wheat pennies, the oldest being 1909.

As I got started I remembered why I don't like parks - the Sov nulled left and right, and when it wasn't nulling it was signaling almost nonstop on junk. I like to dig it all, or at least as much as I can stand, but this is obviously impossible when you get a junk signal every two feet. So I went against my instinct and listened only for faint, high tones. The first one I decided to dig was a nice 1937 wheat. That seemed like a good sign, but you never know. And sure enough, the hunt went on and I landed 6 more deep wheats and NO SILVER! On the bright side I scored a nice vintage Weather Bird ring which apparently was some kind of swag for a brand of children's shoes back in the 50's.

If nothing else it was good to expand my horizon a bit. I can't stay in school yards forever, so I'd better start easing myself into parks. I will certainly hit this one again, though maybe not until spring. I find it impossible to believe that I could find 10 wheats in two hunts and that there is no silver there still to be found.

Total for the day was 97 coins worth $6.84, including the wheats.

Happy Hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Wheats and a Ring

After your last experience with parks I thought you might buy a tent and move into one lol But I hear you... parks can be frustrating, and I don't like people around.

Nice job on the deep wheats... might be worth hitting again. I love that ring!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    After your last experience with parks I thought you might buy a tent and move into one lol But I hear you... parks can be frustrating, and I don't like people around.
    Well, it's mostly BECAUSE of that hunt that made me give a park a try today. And yes, that's the other nice thing about school yards - much fewer people than parks, especially when I tend to hunt. I sure as heck don't go metal detecting to meet people, you know? Quite the opposite in fact!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

A park with wheats? What a pleasure that would be to hunt. lol Nice digs.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Great job Z.. nice looking ring I like that one.. Parks are my fav then schools.. The people can be quite interesting at times but I just keep going..

Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Nice collection of Wheaties and ring, I tend to do parks in the afternoon but I do the outskirts of them so that I don't see to many people or them me and early morning when hopefully their not around to do the center. Also I get lot's of experience trying not to pick up the junk.
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

That park is screaming for sectioning and gridding - you know, the painful stuff. lol I'll go on a limb here, but there has to be silver at that park. I like that ring too. It's a very cool vintage find. Nice digs!

There are many times you can get lots of wheats and no silver. I have done this many a time at private homes But there are also other times where I get 3 or 4 silvers and just a couple of wheats. The solution is to just keep looking and not give up lol I know, not very scientific, but it does work. Good luck at that park, it will give up some silver.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Nice haul Z! Congrats on the wheats and interesting ring!

good group of wheats Z and nice unusual old ring.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice finds Z. Love the old weather bird ring. thumbsup01
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Z-man! Nice dig's. I have to agree with the others about the silver. It has to be there. The weather bird ring is a super cool find!

Great finds. That ring is really cool. I bet if you suffer through it some more you can pull some silver from there.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com