Thread: OK you Iowa people, I need your help

OK you Iowa people, I need your help

That's an odd title lol I need some info on a good freight company. I am getting a tumbler (big one ) for my detecting finds and I need to know if anyone has had good luck with a trucking company. The item is located in Griswold Iowa , so I was hoping some one there knew of a good, decent freight company. Any thoughts??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: OK you Iowa people, I need your help

Trucking company?? What are you getting a cement mixer
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    Looks like he is finally going to tumble all that clad he has found and wants to do it one sitting!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Looks like he is finally going to tumble all that clad he has found and wants to do it one sitting!
    rofl I like big stuff lol Its a tumbler that is about 40 long. I can tumble many barrels on it, so I could do 4 or 5 dug bottles at a time, or all of the junk coins separated in different barrels at once. It's really cause I have many, many (did I say many?) boxes of junk metal I have found over the course of 38 years detecting and I want to clean them up before I die Who knows what artifacts can turn up in them boxes. Plus scrap metal is at an all time high lol But thanks for the suggestions on trucking companies rofl

jeez George if the tumbler is that big you might be better off renting a u-haul and doing it yourself lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    jeez George if the tumbler is that big you might be better off renting a u-haul and doing it yourself lol lol
    Thank God you moved Dan lol But Iowa is just not far enough How long before you want to use my tumbler?? lol Seems like someone has tumbler envy

I saw a show the other night where a guy who cleans the coins from some Wishing Well Cavern in New Mexico use a portable cement mixer to tumble and clean the coins. Thought maybe that was what you were getting!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Veteran Member

Is the owners name Clark Griswold? might watch out for him lol
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    I saw a show the other night where a guy who cleans the coins from some Wishing Well Cavern in New Mexico use a portable cement mixer to tumble and clean the coins. Thought maybe that was what you were getting!!
    Hey, that's a thought. We need to start a chain of wishing wells all across the country. That will be big bucks I may need to order a second tumbler rofl

George, I was born and raised in Iowa. Never heard of Griswold, Iowa (which frankly sounds extremely depressing lol ) but what that means to me is that it is in the very western part of the state (I am an eastern Iowa girl). Near Omaha, Nebraska, probably (I'll check it out)

jkress and dave in Iowa are also in eastern iowa, from my area so they may not know either.

Can't you get the seller to ship the item? Is it large enough to warrant freight shipping? Where did you buy it?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post

Can't you get the seller to ship the item? Is it large enough to warrant freight shipping? Where did you buy it?
    Most items that you get at auction are buyers responsibility. It's not that big if an item, but it may require a truck. About 120 lbs crated and maximum 45 inches long. Just may be too long for UPS. I haven't bought it yet, but probably will. Haven't seen a tumbler this size (medium) for a while. Can't use the little ones that the hobby shops sell and don't need the monster industrial ones that are out there. The problem with freight these days is they make you jump through hoops to get a quote. I have no patients for that

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    It's really cause I have many, many (did I say many?) boxes of junk metal I have found over the course of 38 years detecting and I want to clean them up before I die Who knows what artifacts can turn up in them boxes. Plus scrap metal is at an all time high lol But thanks for the suggestions on trucking companies rofl
    Congrats on your motivation! One good thing winter is for... btw, how is your 'man-cave' coming along?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    btw, how is your 'man-cave' coming along?
    Furniture is coming in on the 23rd. Then the real fun begins lol Will be posting some pics when some of the machinery gets set up.

So did you end up buying the huge tumbler?

I'm going to Iowa for Christmas. I can pick it up for you. And take it back to KY. lol
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    So did you end up buying the huge tumbler?

I'm going to Iowa for Christmas. I can pick it up for you. And take it back to KY. lol
    Yep, it's mine officially lol Now I just have to set up a chain of members to get it to me. So far I have you to take it to Kentucky. Then it has to go to Ohio, Pennsylvania and then NY, and finally into western Massachusetts. This could work lol The seller is visiting relatives and will crate it after Christmas, when I will start calling trucking companies. It will probably get here by January 10th or so.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Yep, it's mine officially lol Now I just have to set up a chain of members to get it to me. So far I have you to take it to Kentucky. Then it has to go to Ohio, Pennsylvania and then NY, and finally into western Massachusetts. This could work lol The seller is visiting relatives and will crate it after Christmas, when I will start calling trucking companies. It will probably get here by January 10th or so.
    I have a week off in Jan. We could always do a roadtrip? Detect each state along the way and back!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

I have a week off in Jan. We could always do a roadtrip? Detect each state along the way and back!
    Great plan except that you would be solo, since I don't have the week off lol I'm looking into the tumbler barrels for that monster right now. I think I found them the other day I'll post the set up when I get it here and running.