Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whites MXT

Re: Whites MXT

Thanks for all that, Lowjiber. I'm not clear on one issue. What is the advantage of running in alternate relic instead of standard relic? I usually dig pull tabs to avoid missing gold.
    2010 finds 16 rings 6 gold 4 silver

Re: Whites MXT

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_c View Post
    Thanks for all that, Lowjiber. I'm not clear on one issue. What is the advantage of running in alternate relic instead of standard relic? I usually dig pull tabs to avoid missing gold.
    Good question, that.

The alternate (switch forward) function in Coin & Jewelry mode is completely different from the alternate function in relic mode.

In C&J mode, the switch forward serves as a notch that eliminates many of the VDI numbers (+28 to +49), and the user will indeed miss opportunities to dig gold targets that reside along with the dreaded pull tabs. (Personally, I would never hunt the MXT in Alternate C&J mode for the very reason you described above.)

However, the alternate switch position in Relic Mode serves a completely different function. Simply stated, Relic Mode has no notch. The setting of the Dual Control knob determines the audio response. Set it on 3 and you will always get a response to any VDI above zero, regardless of the position of the trigger. The function of the trigger in relic mode is basically designed to change the speed of the Self-Adjusting-Threshold (S.A.T.).

The ground where I hunt (California, Nevada & Arizona) is very minerialized and can literally change under your coil from one side of the swing to the other. Since I prefer hunting the MXT on the edge of insanity and depend on the threshold for whispers, it is important to me that the S.A.T functions fast (Alternate Relic mode) to stabilize the insanity that is going on in my headset.

(I should note here that a slow swing speed in normal Relic mode will produce similar results. However, there is another advantage to the alternate mode that I particularly like...described below.)

In Primary Relic mode (switch in middle position), VDI's above the level determined by the Dual Control knob give off a high-pitched sound and those below give off a low-pitched sound.

In Alternate Relic mode (switch forward), all VDI's below the Dual Control set point are silent. VDI's at, or above, the Dual Control set point are broken down...high pitch for non-ferrous targets and low pitch for ferrous targets.

Since there are a lot of things going on when hunting on the edge of insanity, I like the additional organization of the low/high sounds that the alternate position provides.

I hope I've answered your question. In my initial posting above, I've tried to provide a basis for pushing the MXT to its limits. As experience and hunting locations change, the user will (hopefully) go beyond my initial suggestions.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.