Thread: Pro Pointer test

Pro Pointer test

Here is a air test of the Garrett Pro Pointer with different items ..most usually found while detecting. The results suprised me as to the good depth compared to a few other handheld pinpointers I have ran the same test on.

Garrett Pro-Pointer Test
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Re: Pro Pointer test

that was a nice way to show the distance of different items , was it me or did it seem the lower conductive items were hitting further out than the higher ones
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    that was a nice way to show the distance of different items , was it me or did it seem the lower conductive items were hitting further out than the higher ones
    You noticed that also.
    Isn't the Pro Pointer a PI unit?? Wouldn't a PI unit be more sensitive on lower conductive items??
    Robbie
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

That was an eye opener Not only did it hit harder on low conductors, but it hit hard on less solid items like rings. Did not expect any of them results. I thought it would get all of them coins at 2 -2 1/2 inches all the time. I have to check my Sunray x-1 probe now. I'm not so sure I will get that probe until I see it gets a lot more than my inline does. Most interesting and thanks for posting that. It would have been cool to see how far it hits on them pesky pulltabs too lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The operating frequency of the Pro pointer is 12 kHz. This would extend the range for lower conductive targets, such as the Nickel. The Pro pointer does not use Pulse Induction (PI). If you slide a nickle up next to the power button you will effectively double it's range. I am a long time user of the Sunray DX-1. After purchasing a Garrett Pro Pointer I removed the DX-1 from my V3 and it's been on the shelf ever since. In my opinion the Pro Pointer is hands down the best pin pointer on the market right now.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Wow Robbie that was truly insightful! Thanks for your efforts. thumbsup01

w.w.
    E-TRAC, V3i, DFX
    Oldest coin detected: 1854 half dollar

You have a keeper there Robbie.. For a hand held it did good..
    Today is my day

Nice! That is impressive for a handheld.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably be At The Airport"

Whites V3i 10DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Nice Video Robbie,I have used a Garrett ever since i sold my DX-1 to Carver,I did notice when you first turned it on you had a coin close to it,so in reality you made it less sensitive according to the paperwork that came with it...Mine will pick up a quarter @ 3,nickles the same depth all day long...Just though i would share that bit of info...Can;t wait to see the others,Dave
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    Nice Video Robbie,I have used a Garrett ever since i sold my DX-1 to Carver,I did notice when you first turned it on you had a coin close to it,so in reality you made it less sensitive according to the paperwork that came with it...Mine will pick up a quarter @ 3,nickles the same depth all day long...Just though i would share that bit of info...Can;t wait to see the others,Dave
    Welcome Salty...I see you swam far enough to find us over here.

Glad you like the tests.

I hope to have a pistol probe in a week or so, to do another test.
    Robbie

Veteran Member

Im thinking of getting one of those. I have a V3i and im looking for the best probe for my money. Ive listed that before but im still not sure. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    Im thinking of getting one of those. I have a V3i and im looking for the best probe for my money. Ive listed that before but im still not sure. Any ideas?
    Look around with a Google search on the Pro Pointer...it's overwhelming how this PP is accepted as premier. This thread is saying just that also. martin

Count me as another thumbsup01 for the Garrett PP. Love it!

Especially the ability to de-tune the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    The operating frequency of the Pro pointer is 12 kHz. This would extend the range for lower conductive targets, such as the Nickel. The Pro pointer does not use Pulse Induction (PI). If you slide a nickle up next to the power button you will effectively double it's range. I am a long time user of the Sunray DX-1. After purchasing a Garrett Pro Pointer I removed the DX-1 from my V3 and it's been on the shelf ever since. In my opinion the Pro Pointer is hands down the best pin pointer on the market right now.
    No kidding. I was going to ask about that. Less weight on the V would be a good thing

Veteran Member

i have used the whites , the vibra probe and now the garrett , none compare to the garret. the whites broke easily , the switch and the vibra probe was good , but big and didnt have the rib feature like the garrett , im no pro but the garrett is the best for me
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads