Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Come Together! Your best coin ever!

Let's Come Together! Your best coin ever!

Howdy Folks!
    Let's all come together as One!
    For those members of the American Detectorist forum who have been here before the deluge, and those of us recently arrived, I'd like to put up a few posts to bring evreybody together so we are just one big happy family of AD'ers.

In that spirit, I'd like to open this thread to everybody! And it is a simple start.

For this particular thread, show us your very best coin find ever. I know that this is one of those questions folks ask us when we're out detecting, and we find tough to answer because we all have many finds that are outsanding, and picking out just one ain't easy! But I'd like to ask that everybody post just one or two of their best of the best coins found ever. We all have one or two particularly oustanding finds, those that stand out head and shoulders above all the rest. That's what I'm looking for in this thead.

Whether you've been on this forum since Custer died, or newly arrived, strut your stuff and show it off.
    Again, just show us one or two of your most outstanding coin finds ever.

I will post mine later, but wanted to get this thread up and going right away. Snowing here in Colorado, and I don't think I'll get out today so this might prove entertaining!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

Re: Let's Come Together! Your best coin ever!

Ok Mel,this is not my oldest coin to date,but it is my very first ever Silver,found in 2008 in a park here in Columbus Ohio...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

I'm In!

This is a 1914D Wheat Penney found in Berthoud, Colorado on Oct. 22nd 2005. Still has dirt clinging to it. I have not cleaned it other than a light warm water bath and air dry. I keep it sealed in a case.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I may change my mind later but this is one of many bests. It's hard to pick though :-\ It's a tie between 2 different half cents. This one is an 1809 over inverted 9. (the other one was an 1805 Draped Bust Half Cent). I picked the '09 one because of its nice condition which is rare in these parts.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Probably my scarcest one is the 1885 V nickel I found this past summer and I've yet to see another Canadian dollar like this dug, I found the dollar in a woods in the winter and the V Nickel at a torn down house spot.

This is my 1793 2 Reale found in a soybean field along with a 1/2 reale and 1/2 cent.
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    This is my 1793 2 Reale found in a soybean field along with a 1/2 reale and 1/2 cent.
    Oh...how did I know you were going to put this one in here lol
    That is just a coin hunting dream come true...
    Sweet, sweet, sweet

Ok here's mine. It's kind of a tie...
    The first one is the prettiest...1876 Seated Half (s) mint...my second oldest US silver coin, found in '09.

But this one...1814 Capped Bust dime.... isn't as pretty but....I love it And they just don't come this old around here !!

Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Howdy Folks!
    Okay, I am going to enter 2 into this thread.
    The first is an 1889 Morgan silver dollar found on a wood chip covered tot lot in Northglenn (or is it Thornton? they sorta run together!).

Anyhow Pipster was working another part of the tot lot, when I got a terrific signal and started sweeping away chips with my probe. I caught the glint of silver and hollered to Pipster who came running. He also nearly decapitated himself when his head connected low hanging tot lot structure. But as the item came into view, I was disappointed to find it was a token for the Buffalo Bill Museum up on Lookout Mountain.

Pipster went back to his side of the lot while I kept detecting on my own. Before long, I got another terrific signal and again swept away chips and saw that glint of silver. I called to Pipster before it dawned on me it was likely another Buffy Bill token. But as Pipster watched, and I swept away the chips, a familiar face came into view. A moment later I was holding an 1889 Morgan silver dollar. It wasn't in the case you'll see in the photo, I got that for it later. Meanwhile, Pipster ain't quite got over that one yet!

The other find was taken while working an easement in an old neighborhood in Brighton, where I work. It was near the curb and some 6 or 7 inches deep. I'd never seen a Barber before, and didn't know what I had so I took a photo with my cellphone camera and sent it to a friend, who immediatley called back. What is the date on that thing, he asked in an excited voice. 1895 from what I can see I replied. Are you kidding me? You found an 1895 Barber dime? he was almost hysterical sounding. Guess so. Why?
    What is the mint mark on that coin? he asked. I looked hard and couldn't find it until he told me where to look. Ah, it's an 'O'.

My friend told me I'd found a key date coin. I had no clue what a key date was, just as I didn't know what a Barber was. This was found with my XLT during my 1st 3 months of detecting. It was probably my best coin find ever, but I've made some great ones since then!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Veteran Member

my best coin is a 1861 half dime found with a whites prizm II in a clay bank at 2 inches. it was actually my first silver coin i ever found . talk about getting hooked . this coin was holed and as you can see it wasnt holed lond before it was lost . you can still see the shards of silver on the reverse
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Howdy Russell!
    That coin looks like it was shot with a small caliber weapon, like a .22 maybe.
    Just how it looks from this end of the monitor.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

This 1833 LC is special because it was my first copper and really ignited my passion for metal detecting. Plus the place I found it- it's a real spooky old place, one of my favorite spots to hunt...

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Here's a couple of real good finds,,,,,hard to pick from the others,,,I will go back through my pics for more.
    1st pic is a Love Token
    2nd pic has an 1885 Key date V nickel in the upper right <: <: <: <: <:
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Have to go with my 1833 dime with dent and all never been so happy and mad at the same time Followed closely by my first and only half dime O and my 1918 SLQ and..... well I like all my finds

You all have some really beautiful coins. Here are my two favorites.
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

1895-O Barber Dime, found in a friend's front yard in 2009. One of four silvers from this yard and the oldest. This is the key date to the Barber Dime set.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Been doing this seriously for about 19yrs. and have found lot's of INCREDIBLE stuff . This was found about 17yrs. ago in a public park . Now I'm lucky to find a decent coin in one hunt out of five . The sites around here have been pounded , pounded and pounded some more . I have found many great coins and some real sweet silver and gold jewelry even a few relics over the years but the last couple haven't seen me finding or posting much .Getting older and having a lot of responsibilities don't help either but I am extremely thankful for all I have found and some of the great people I have met .Besides a Buffalo nickel I found 2 weeks and 3 hunts ago my most recent best find was $3.16 , 3 foreign coins and a token at the Coinstar machine ( the spirit of the hunt rages on ). I hope the pic's came out as this coin is pretty toasted and my picture taking sucks .

Baba

Sweet Coin,That would do it for me too
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

Heres my best.
    Out here in California we dont find many large cents, so this one was a big suprise. What makes it even better is I didnt even know I had it till a week later.

Went detecting with a buddy at an 1850s gold mining town a few years ago when I had just started detecting and found a strange disk with edges and a hole through the middle. Looked alot like a pizza cutter and didint think much of it, so I threw it in my finds pouch.

The next week and I went to visit my sister at the coast and was doint a little beach detecting. Half way through the day I decided to go through my detecting pouch and I found the what I thought was a relic again except this time I could see an outline of lady liberty. The week of rustling around in my finds pouch must have done just enough to get some of the crude off of it and you could see what it really was.

Needless to say when ever I go detecting with my buddy now, he makes me empty my finds pouch at the end of the day, to make sure I havent missed something that I didnt realize was there.

These aren't my best, but are the 2 oldest coins I have ever dug.

The 1875 Seated Half was dug in a WW1 training camp area, way back in an area hard to get to. It was under a thick layer of leaves and twigs, and right on top of the ground, and made my Whites M6 overload.

And the 1868 Sheild Nickel was dug while new water mains were being put in, in our neighborhood. It was next to a large oak tree in the dirt the construction crew dug a 12 foot hole from.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I pulled about 30 old coins out of this place so far but there getting few and far between now. I did get a nice 2 center early this last season here and this is the best one I found so far that came from the same spot the first year I started detecting in 2009. HH
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6