Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coil for the E-Trac.

Coil for the E-Trac.

I am going to order A E-Trac. But I need to know what coil should I get with it. It comes with 11 coil so I need a small coil witch one is the best. I see the Minelab also has Commander coils any good or should I stoy with the std. small coil.

Eagle 1
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Troy Head Phones, Garrett Ace 250.

Re: Coil for the E-Trac.

I use the 8 Excelerator Concentric Searchcoil in the woods and such. Hopefully I will be trying it out tomorrow morning in a park. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

I was thinking smaller. I don't think 8 would be that difernt. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle 1 View Post
    I was thinking smaller. I don't think 8 would be that difernt. ?
    It has a lot better pinpointing for one thing. thumbsup01

You might be really suprised how well the 11 coil separates even in heavy trash. I know other Etracers can attest to it too. I know Angel hunts heavy trash most of the time and as far as I know he only uses the stock coil too. You may want to hold off and save yourself some money and try it out first.

Hot Dang....... This is the thread I've been looking for.

Having the E-TRAC for a short while makes me wonder if another coil would be helpful. After reading comparisons between the Sunray 8 and the 6 X 8 SEF..... I must admit that they both sound good but seperation of targets is probably just as good with the 11 stock pro-coil.

So.....maybe the Sunray X-5 would be a little better on seperating targets but also allow you to get better info (Sound...Fe-Co#'s) on each of the co-located targets? Does the smaller coil give more accurate target info? More accurate target info might be a go signal for me to get the small coil.

Next choice might be the large WOT or SEF coil. I know it will vary depending on what area you are in but is there a reasonably large increase in depth with the large coils or not enough to justify a sore back?

Considering that the stock 11 pro-coil is so adaptable to most situations... how to procede? Maybe a small and a large one? If you had to choose between the X-5 or the 15 WOT...which would it be? HH

Ron

I've in the last month aquired the Sunray X 12 and the X 8....I just put a wanted add up for the X 5. Both of them pinpoint superbly and that X 8 is just small enough I can run the sensitivity at 27-30 and am getting 8 inches deep, that's the deepest coin I've dug with it so far. Maybe just maybe my stock pro coil is not built quite right but the above mentioned coils are so much clearer and sharper sounding and do not have the scratch or crackle that I have in my pro coil. I just might send it back to ML for a check up or get them to exchange it if something is wrong with it. I'd have to give a thumbs up to the Sunrays. Anybody got an X 5 for sale?
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

I have the 6x8 SEF coil and as far as separation and pinpointing goes, it's basically the same as the stock Pro coil. It's a great coil and I do use it from time to time, but not very often. I thought I would use it more, but the Pro coil is so good that I rarely need to. That said, the SEF does have its uses. It's smaller and can get into areas easier than the Pro coil. That smaller size does allow it to work the trash better, but it has to be a very, very trashy site to have an advantage. Fortunately I have some sites like that. If I were to do it over again, I would probably go with a 6 concentric coil or DD coil from the same manufacturer.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

How good is the pinpointing on the E-Trac 11 coil is it on the money ded center. Also how close can you get to a pole on a swing set with it.

Eagle 1

How good is the pinpointing on the E-Trac 11 coil is it on the money ded center.
    Once you get used to it, which took me some time coming from White's, it's fairly accurate. The only time you will have issues with pinpoint is on rusty nails or on edge coins.

Also how close can you get to a pole on a swing set with it.
    Not as close as I'd like. The E-Trac seems to put out one heck of a field and when you've got it cranked up past 18 you can detect a fence pole from a foot away. If you think you'll be doing a lot of detecting around metal posts or objects, you might think about getting a smaller coil. Maybe some others with smaller coils can chime in on that.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

The pro coil is the coil!...separates like a knife!...I think if you want a coil get the 6 excelerator...small enough to separate..yet big enough for some coverage... The pro coil can stay up with anything above a 6' inch coil...I had the 5 sunray..man it is small...like swing a silver dollar on the end....You can get a excelerator 6 at a good price...TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mascard1 View Post
    The pro coil is the coil!...separates like a knife!...I think if you want a coil get the 6 excelerator...small enough to separate..yet big enough for some coverage... The pro coil can stay up with anything above a 6' inch coil...I had the 5 sunray..man it is small...like swing a silver dollar on the end....You can get a excelerator 6 at a good price...TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the forum mascard1! Stick around a bit, I'd like to know what you think about the 6 Excelerator coil. Is this the 6 EQ II?

Dose MineLab make a 6 coil for the E Trac. ?

Eagle 1

I could be wrong, but I think 8 is the smallest coil you can get from Minelab for the E-Trac.

Hi! Eagle1 you can also get a 6 DD EXcelerator EQ 2 Pro
    Search Coil for Minelab (Explorer, E-TRAC, Safari, Quattro)

No That ok It needs to be a Minelab coil.

Eagle 1

No That ok It needs to be a Minelab coil.

Eagle 1
    Why?

I have a $150.00 to Minelab votcher burn up. I can only use it on Minelab stuff. thumbsup01

I have a couple of after market coils. Don't really care for either of them. If Minelab doesn't make a small coil (5 would be super), then I would stay with the stock coil and spend my Minelab money on a second battery and charger. If there was anything left, I would buy an extra set up of shafts, just in case they come out with a small coil sometime later. Always good to have spare parts. Just some thoughts for you.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Can we make this thread a sticky? One of my want to buy for 2010 is a small coil for my Etrac. Nothing wrong with the stock coil, but I hunt in some EXTREMELY trashy areas and would like a smaller coil for this. However, if and when i buy one, i would like to make an informed decision and the best way to go abbout this is to hear from others who have traveled this path.
    "Endeavor to persevere!" Chief Dan George to Clint Eastwood in the movie "Josey Wales"