Thread: Newbe with a clean idea.

Candidate Member

Newbe with a clean idea.

Hello
    Im a new to the forum and hobby Althought I got a Idea for cleaning you finds.

First off I do brew my own beer tastes pretty good to. A big part of beer brewing is the love for washing dishes NOT.

#1 your basic Oxi clean & hot water== works wonders

#2 this stuff can be found at home depot ( barkeepers friend) very gentle comet like stuff.

# 3 this stuff will turn a piece of grungy copper into a brand new pipe. (Star-san) this stuff is a very very very form of a mild acid. this stuff can be found in your local home brew store if you have a LHBS

I hope this might help someone.

Re: Newbe with a clean idea.

Hey BCMC. All of those methods sound good if you put the time into learning how to use them. Any mechanical or acid form of cleaning can damage a coin. The trick is to know how much to use and when to stop lol Every method mentioned here devalues our finds. But it also preserves them. The only difference between restoration and home cleaning is a college degree rofl Thanks for the tips. If I run into any of those products, I will be sure to try them
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

thumbsup01 Welcome from Kentucky! My husband and I brew beer too! TNT Homebrew (Tom N Tana)

I'll be interested to see how your experiments go on your coins... We have all the above said chemicals but I'm nervous to use anything more than mild soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Howdy Pard!
    The value of an old coin can drop like a rock when chemicals are used to clean finds.
    Personally, I prefer to take really special coins to a professional and let them evaluate my find,
    and maybe lend a hand in cleaning them so as not to diminish their value.

Among methods I prefer are mild detergent and water. Just let 'em soak and pat dry.
    Any scrubbing can also drop the value of a coin. I also might use a sonic cleaner that does not harm the value of the find.

Your suggestions are certainly worth consideration, and I'd need to study up on that before using them myself, but I don't want to end up with a nice shiny coin that no longer has value to collectors. There is a precarious balance in that whole process that I just dont feel comfortable tackling myself without guidance from a pro.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

That's a lot of work just for clad Rinse and dry works for me
    Today is my day

Veteran Member

i just use a wash cloth and warm water ......
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me