Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed

V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed

People continue to say the V3i is a deep seeker, yet I have had my V3i for going on 5 months and I have NEVER seen a displayed depth in PP(true depth reading) beyond 6 inches. I use the 6x10DD coil almost always, but have run the 10&quotcheesysmile: also, still nothing beyond 6. Either I am missing something, such as maybe always using three frequencies only instead of using the lower freqs, but I continue to miss the display saying even 7 or 8, much less 10 as people report here. Maybe this particular V3i of mine is deficient for anything beyond 6, and a lot of V3i machines are the same since I've read the same despondence from other new users. I've read a similar complaints on another board when I asked the same exact question, but back up factoid from other owners having the same depth issue, got me nothing from the so called experts except ridicule.

Why have I never gotten a pin point display on a coin sized target beyond 6? It's driving me nuts! Maybe this site will yield REAL support instead of, Read the manuals you lazy bum! If my threshold of depth limit wasn't almost precisely at 6, I'd assume maybe there's no targets yet beyond 6. FOUR MONTHS THOUGH! The odds are against it. Maybe y'all can give some key settings for me to at least begin to see displayed depths beyond 6. Do you V3i owners get depth beyond 6 in the 3-freq factory programs? Is there one danged setup that will push this V3i to depth? Hope my White's dealer didn't sell be me a lame duck right from the start. Do those guys have a conscience against pushing problem detectors onto new faces? Hope not.

Thank you in advance. martin

Re: V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed

Howdy Martin!
    I have a simple question, and I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but are you telling the machine which coil it has on the end of the stick when you change coils?

Then again, I've never found anything beyond 5 or 6 inches on my V3i, and if it ain't any deeper than that, the display may be correct. Do you find coins that are deeper than reported on your V3/i display?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

Yes I am telling it that the 6x10 or the 10&quotcheesysmile: coil is in place Mel. As far as finding coins deeper than 6...not with the V3i so far. If my V3i in PP says 3, or 4, or 5, my coin target when dug has been just about on the money(pardon the pun) once I retrieve it, so the accuracy of the machine is very good below 6. I did used to dig deep targets with my 5900 though, and the analog meter agreed is was an 7 to 9 dig ahead of time. it's just this V that's hung in granny gear for depth. Like I said earlier, I always search in 3 freqs, but I have used the Deep Silver program in attempts to find something over 6 deep.

IF there is anyone who remembers what program they used when seeing deep targets beyond 6, I would appreciate know what key settings I am missing. I tried a few of the custom programs by the tenured hunters, but still am stuck at the 6 threshold. If I ever dug some coin say at 7, it wasn't much more than what the indicated display in PP said it was. I'm missing deep stuff, that's all there is to it. martin

Since I don't own a V3(i) I can't offer any assistance on that model, but most models with a depth reading should work very similar---------- if you get a target that shows ..( let's say)6 inches......try raising the coil a few inches above the target and see if the depth reading increases on the meter. If it does change.......... it could be possible the areas you are searching have very few, if any, coins deeper than 6 inches.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I don't think i have dug any coin sized object any deeper than about 5 inches over the last year
    That's why I've been using the MXT a lot,i just seem to dig and hear deeper signals,All i use are the factory programs with a little tweaking.
    But im about through with it.

When I first got my V3i I wasn't so sure it wasn't even hearing the stuff down there very deep so I tried the deep silver program and did find a deep silver ring and silver quarter with it the second day I owned it, the ring was probably 7 inches and the quarter was about 8. I got so I also like Hi-pro a lot cause I was able to hear deep coins with it. I think getting use to the different responses on the stock programs kinda helped me quite a bit getting use to what the machine was telling me so I put some different programs in it, the first couple were way to radical and the third one I tried was Magic's and then I really started getting deep targets. Magic is in Indiana and I'm in Michigan and our soil probably isn't a whole lot different is what I figure is the reason this program works so good in my soil, it was made for it. I made some changes to it but the basic program is there. Magic's program actually falses rarely whereas the stock coin jewelry program does it a lot is one thing I noticed about this program that I like plus you can crank it up if you want but actually the way I have mine set I still hear the deep stuff.

Hello Martin!
    I will do my best to answer your question with my concept of what is going on with your readings. First and foremost the 6x10 coil is not designed for depth. It has a 6 inch width That's 4 inches narrower than the D2 coil. So if your using the 6X10 the majority of the time your not going to get deeper coin readings on a regular basis. Try using your D2 coil exclusively for a while. The other thing to consider is your Filter settings. Higher filter settings can cause you to not see deeper targets. Try using 5.0 Hz or 7.5 Hz Band Pass. You will need to swing slower. The V3/V3i is actually tunned for the 950 Coil, but is fairly accurate estimations on deeper target. If you have the V3i then you can set your coil type setting to make the reading accurate.
    In general deeper targets are going to be more difficult to pick out. Just because you have a detector that is capable of deep finds does not mean that you can just go out and find deep coins. It takes practice, good programing, and being in the right place to find the desired targets. Take a copper penny and plant it in some clean ground about 7 inches down. Test your depth readings over this test coin. While it does not represent a long buried coin, it will give you depth readings that should be accurate. Martin, thanks for your good question. I would like to here back about your experiences with the planted penny.

Jack

EDIT: Here is a link to the program I currently use...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...20871#msg20871

"Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

I've hunted with magic and he seems to be in tune with the V3i for sure, he pulls deep coins on a regular basis with it. That being said I still like my MXT as it doesn't have a problem seeing the deep targets even compaired to the V3i. Now the V3i does have some nice features like the offset for the frequency that would be handy to try in helping with a bad EMI area or the 3 frequency to choose from. I've heard that the V3 will get deeper in one freq rather than all 3 at once, I don't know this for sure as I don't have one but there some nice features on the V3. I don't think I would pay the price difference for the V3 over the MXT but thats just me and I like the fact that if I need to make a change when hunting I don't have to go through the menu to change something.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Just a thought.

If you have Modulation on and your volume levels are set low there is a good possibility that you'll pass over those deep targets and never hear them.

Turn Modulation = OFF. That will improve your target volume

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post

EDIT: Here is a link to the program I currently use...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...20871#msg20871
    Thanks for the link to your Correlate program Jack. I'm going to try it out

The V3i is still pretty new to me and I'm having the same trouble as others-not finding deep silver/readings over 6 ....Or perhaps I'm just not swinging over 'em yet lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I'll be heading home next week and Jack's program will the first one I load up. Thanks for posting the link...great explanation of the details there.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably be At The Airport"

Whites V3i 10DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Re: V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed 7 Copper Test

This actually goes out for both the buried copper penny(clad) and the modulation being set to off. First, the penny went down to a 7 depth and made sure the ground was compact as much as possible. Then I flipped on the V3i and ground balanced, swung slowly and got repeated(good tones too) with a readings of 7 & 1/4 on the display of depth in search. In PP, I got 6 & 3/4, but I got no audio at all. This experiment brought me full sircle to a previous problem, No audio in pin point. I did switch off the modulation and swept again, turned up speaker volume to max, and got the the same results.

I was happy to see the near depth accuracy of this freshly buried coin, and the fact that it seeked and reported a coin at 7. Any ideas for the no tone in PP? The 3-freq bars are dancing, but no tone. Maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone here if I can fix the no tone in PP also. Seeing the 7 depth indication was promising. Let me know if you have more ideas after reading this, and thanks very much. martin

FYI, I went back out(cold outside!) and tried both Yahoo's and Jacks' correlate proggys because I couldn't be sure which I used for the report above.

1. Yahoo's worked a bit better in search, but not by much, yet the PP audio was still gone. Like I said, the three freq bars were active during PP, and the expected depth reading was there, 6 3/4 to 7.

2. Jacks correlate program found basically the same depth readings, and it did just barely made a growling tone in PP when I insistently pressed and rubbed on the ground with the coil. I then decided to hunt a bit, moved over about a foot in distance, and hit an 89-92 VDI target, with a displayed depth of 8 1/4 in search mode. Pinpoint mode gave 8 1/2 but no tone.

Interesting stuff, huh. m

Don't know anything about that machine, but is there a volume control you can set for the pinpoint mode?? Could it be set to 0 (zero)??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

thumbsup01 WTG Martin! Would it be possible for you to list the settings of the program you are using? It might give us some insight as to your PP issue. The V3i has so many audio and on/off toggles in the menus that it would be easy to overlook one. Are you using the Wireless Headphones? HH...KYBuzzBox

V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Don't know anything about that machine, but is there a volume control you can set for the pinpoint mode?? Could it be set to 0 (zero)??
    No but it could be set to very low. I do get good PP tone if I am at depths of say 5 or less. I hope there's a volume level or a threshold value ot something, to get the tone for these extra inches above 5 or 5 and a half when in PP. The no audio in PP post made on another board got zilch, even though there were several others who stated the same issue, BUT we were new owners of the V3i so it had to be our faults hence the repeated replies from the astute...Read the manuals again. Granted, I did perfect my PPing swings a bit and gain ground, but these limited depth tones above 6 is still very disturbing. Worst case might be that I'll have to accept no tone, and trust the frequency bars and depth indicators, with no tone. A $1500 machine shouldn't make you have to do that though.

As far as the settings go,,,I took the C&J FAC file and created both Yahoo's and Jacks' programs. If there are key settings I need to focus on, let me know. The Whites people did one thing silly with the V3i, making the VCO off as a default. They probably made another stupid default elsewhere too. Hopefully the tone in PP issue will be discovered here, cuz others have written about the same thing at other times, on other sites. No answers, or if there was, there wasn't a report made. Those were nutty times over there on the manufacturer's forum, so it could have been anything.

It is getting interesting though that I can feel better about the depth limit beyond 6. Y'all have been a help and comfort with your patience. martin

Hi Martin,

I know that your V3i is somewhat newer than mine. I have never had an issue with PinPointing tones on my V3i and I have been using it for almost two years. I just wonder if White's didn't change the software defaults on the newer factory V3i's rather than the older V3's that were upgraded to the V3i software? I will check my settings and see if I can find anything that might cause your issue. Maybe Jack can give us an answer as to where to look. I have noticed that all of the users that have the PP issue are using the newer model V3i's.

KYBuzzBox

Now this is kinda depressing. I had a good post made about my recent results, lengthy in content, and then I get this reply from the attempted post, You are not allowed to access this section, but I'll have to poke at a moderator as to why, and as to why I couldn't retrieve my lost typed words by paging back.

The V3i gets screwy when you change one parameter, such as the VCO or an audio threshold, and you can't get it back by simply returning the setting back to original. I have to do a formal restore of the file and start over. What kind of electronic device these days requires one change at a time, and then forces you to sweep clean to the original status? It makes it darn difficult to tweak and actually believe you have the concrete, top level performance from these V3is. Seriously, I was in success mode an hour ago. Tweaked one thing in audio and than it was worse, so a reverse of the setting would make you think you'd be back to the current success, right? Whites really needs to address the firmware, the hardware GUI so called live controls and how they act together on the fly. I am not impressed at all.

I'm taking a brake. martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
    Now this is kinda depressing. I had a good post made about my recent results, lengthy in content, and then I get this reply from the attempted post, You are not allowed to access this section, but I'll have to poke at a moderator as to why, and as to why I couldn't retrieve my lost typed words by paging back.

The V3i gets screwy when you change one parameter, such as the VCO or an audio threshold, and you can't get it back by simply returning the setting back to original. I have to do a formal restore of the file and start over. What kind of electronic device these days requires one change at a time, and then forces you to sweep clean to the original status? It makes it darn difficult to tweak and actually believe you have the concrete, top level performance from these V3is. Seriously, I was in success mode an hour ago. Tweaked one thing in audio and than it was worse, so a reverse of the setting would make you think you'd be back to the current success, right? Whites really needs to address the firmware, the hardware GUI so called live controls and how they act together on the fly. I am not impressed at all.

I'm taking a brake. martin
    Hey Martin, So far I have no idea why your post would not go through I can't see what you could have hit to access a restricted area, so I'm just wondering if it was something on your computer's side (as to a refresh rate) because it a lenghty waiting period before you hit the post button.. When I hit a back button if I have been working on a post, and it's been too long, I don't get my words back unless I hit the back button twice. Then it refreshes the screens and gives me my original back. Sorry this happened to you. I sometimes highlite the whole story and cut it just in case I lose it. Then I can just paste it on a new post. Maybe someone else can chime in
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That's not good. I make changes to my programs all of the time. I only had to do a restore once when I first got my V3i upgrade back. I restored all of the programs from the library just to insure there was no corruption (we programmer types are a little eccentric on things like that ).

I think you need to call White's and send that unit in. You should be able to make any changes you want, save them, and use them (you may/may not have to re-GB) without having to restore. I would call Carl at whites, it sounds like your V3i unit has a serious issue with the program memory on a main board. It should be covered under warranty.

KYBuzzBox

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Martin, So far I have no idea why your post would not go through I can't see what you could have hit to access a restricted area, so I'm just wondering if it was something on your computer's side (as to a refresh rate) because it a lenghty waiting period before you hit the post button.. When I hit a back button if I have been working on a post, and it's been too long, I don't get my words back unless I hit the back button twice. Then it refreshes the screens and gives me my original back. Sorry this happened to you. I sometimes highlite the whole story and cut it just in case I lose it. Then I can just paste it on a new post. Maybe someone else can chime in
    I'm good. I have had this same scenario elsewhere, so it possibly is just a glitch or something at either end. Thanks, martin