Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed

Re: V3i, I never Have Seen More Than 6 Displayed

Hi, Martin, multiple problems like you're having with the V3i are difficult to diagnose in total without actually seeing the unit and knowing exactly what settings you have going on. Did you try going back to the White's dealer that sold you the machine and get some in depth training? The dealer should be more than happy to take as much time as needed to help you out.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Martin...

I'm not sure why you were denied access, yadda, yadda. However, I just had a thought to share as a possible explaination:

When you initially logged in, did you set a specific time to stay logged on? If so, the forum may have timed you out while you were writing your post. Therefore, when you tried to post the comment, the forum didn't realize you were a member.

Could be...HUH? (Just a thought.)
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    Martin...

I'm not sure why you were denied access, yadda, yadda. However, I just had a thought to share as a possible explaination:

When you initially logged in, did you set a specific time to stay logged on? If so, the forum may have timed you out while you were writing your post. Therefore, when you tried to post the comment, the forum didn't realize you were a member.

Could be...HUH? (Just a thought.)
    I bet that's it, or my DSL line mighta blinked off and on. This 2Wire modem is prone to do that at times. Yes I did leave the login time where it was originally. I'll fix that, thanks. martin

Hello Martin,
    I am Glad you made some progress with the depth readings on the V3i. That's great news. If you have your all metal set to 75 and not getting a good response from the target in pin point mode, there is definitely something strange going on. There is one possible answer I can think of right off hand. If you pull the pin point trigger while the coil is to close to the target or any other metal object it will manually ratchet down the all metal sensitivity. I think you are probably all ready aware of this, and this is not the real issue. There is not a separate volume control for the pin point mode. It is controlled by the Audio - Target Volume settings. You mentioned rubbing the coil right on the ground while pinpointing. I actually use a technique known as scrubbing. If I am in a grassed area, I keep the coil right on the ground when I hunt. Let me describe how I go about pin pointing a target. After finding a possible good target I visually mark the center of the motion mode responses. I lift the coil in the air about a foot and squeeze the pin point trigger. I lower the coil to one side about 2 feet away, and find a quiet area. (no response from the pin point mode) I then rest the coil on the ground and release the trigger. Squeezing the trigger again and holding it, I move to the approximate location of the target. Don't lift the coil off the ground when you do this. I get really good pin point audio response using this method. You might also Try using Lock Track, in case this is a ground balance issue.
    Martin, if enough snow melts enough this weekend I will try and shoot a video over a 8 inch test coin I have buried in the park last year. Hang in there buddy, we'll get it figured out.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Thanks. I just have to feel that the answer is in the audio settings for the pin point mode. I will exercise your pin point method tomorrow. Why the tone would fail above 7, yet the color bars would be active and a depth registered pretty close top the search display, just like a normal episode under 5. The color bars did have white spaces at the leading edge of the scroll though, if that's important. I'll take it a little slower in the morning and see if I can get back to that one stage where I could get both tones. It is extra odd though that the pinpoint tone volume would be so low and broken at 7, and yet the 3 freq discrimination mode pings pretty good. Shouldn't the all metal pin point mode be a honkin' compared to the multiple frequency search mode's return? I hope it's just a simple setting or something I am doing wrong. I do seem to do a fair job of hunting under 6 so there I have some valid procedure with pin pointing those levels.. martin

I really am having a blast with my V3i, the whole learning experience of it has been enjoyable I think. The only other programmable detector I've used a lot was the Eagle, I did have a Garrett that I had done some bartering for but never had much luck with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The pin point methodology you use didn't make much of a difference for me when I tried it this morning Jack. I was able to get tone after loading your CJ and Yahoo's CJ programs. The tone in PP is still very sketchy at only 7. Anything more than 7 gives a lot of information about the depth and the freq bars, just no tone. There has to be an easy answer here. Thanks for sticking with me on this, martin

You might just have to reload the programs that are giving you fits Martin.. It's worth a try.
    Today is my day

Reloading programs has been a real savior for my sanity's sake. Thanks Glen.
    Quote Originally Posted by KYBuzzBox View Post
    thumbsup01 WTG Martin! Would it be possible for you to list the settings of the program you are using? It might give us some insight as to your PP issue. The V3i has so many audio and on/off toggles in the menus that it would be easy to overlook one. Are you using the Wireless Headphones? HH...KYBuzzBox

martin

I am not using headphones of any kind, even though I do have a pair of Golds. You are right,,,lots of audio on/off toggles to be concerned with. Right now I have a PP tone in VCO I find too low for my ears. How I changed it, I'm not sure, but it can be fixed. I could shoot you the audio settings I use if that helps. martin

I am not using headphones of any kind, even though I do have a pair of Golds. martin
    [/quote]

There's the problem on not hearing the audio in pinpoint. The pinpoint has a much quieter tone variation than the Disc circuit. Headphones to hear the pinpoint tone on deep targets is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    I am not using headphones of any kind, even though I do have a pair of Golds. martin

There's the problem on not hearing the audio in pinpoint. The pinpoint has a much quieter tone variation than the Disc circuit. Headphones to hear the pinpoint tone on deep targets is a must.
    Seems odd to me that the search, 3-frequency mode makes decent audible noise, and the PP(all metal) one has to have some help. Wouldn't it make sense that the search mode response should be even more affected by depth? What am I missing in this analogy? martin

In disc modes, a lot of the v3i programs use no modulation which makes deep targets give the same loud response as shallow targets. The pinpoint mode has no such adjustment, so the deeper the target, the less of an audio response there is.

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    In disc modes, a lot of the v3i programs use no modulation which makes deep targets give the same loud response as shallow targets. The pinpoint mode has no such adjustment, so the deeper the target, the less of an audio response there is.
    That makes sense, thanks. martin

Midas,

I still have to ask another question. My V3i seems to be fairly strong in in PP-tone for targets 5 or less, but goes to dismal at this planted 7 penny. Is this a V3i multi frequency downside issue, or does most all detectors crater in PP sound when they hit 7? God help me if I want to hope to search and find anything in 9-10 depths if this is what's normal for a 7 penny.

How about anyone with a V3i telling me the cemantics for their finds when they do find 10 coin targets? Does VCO tone whistle, even with headphones? Just how do you do a routine for a deeper target of coin size?

This information might will help a lot of peeps besides me, IMO. martin

ALL detectors in pinpoint mode will give fainter tones the deeper the item is. When you have a coin 8 inches down or more, the tone will be distinct, but will be fainter than the tone on a shallower coin. That's how you tell a coin IS deep without even looking at the depth meter. When I detect I really don't even look at the V3i display to determine if I should dig it. I go by the sound the detector makes in Disc and in Pinpoint mode. I have been detecting since 1965, and every detector I have used (and there's been many), will give a less loud signal the further away from the coil the coin is. The best teacher is experience. Wear headphones, set the discriminate to accept everything from 0 to 94, and dig everything that sounds good in Disc and reads below 4 inches. As you dig and learn what targets sound like and read out on the display, you can start cherrypicking the signals that you want to dig. Then you will start getting the deeper, older stuff. The V3i is the best machine I have used for getting the coins everyone else passes over. I have dug coins down to 12 inches (measured with a ruler). The 12 inch coins in pinpoint do not blast your ears off, but give a pinpoint tone that is barely audible. You then start digging and check the hole with your pinpointer as you approach the estimated depth. I use the DX-1 pinpointer as it can detect a coin 4 inches from the tip. Hope this helps.

Great info folks...it gives insight to some of my same problems/questions on my V3i. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can give some of these suggestions/recommendations a go.

Much Thanks for the learning session!!

w.w.
    E-TRAC, V3i, DFX
    Oldest coin detected: 1854 half dollar

I agree with Midas' last post, this is what I've experienced with my V3i, DFX and MXT. I have found the Disc depth reading on the V3i to be far more accurate than the Pin Point depth reading, sometimes by an 1 or more.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Midas,

Should I not be able to detect coins at 8 and hear PP tone without headphones? What details can you share about your find at 8-12? Please give me a replay of events from some of your deep(8-12) finds with the V3i. Something like this: I heard a valid tone in disc, and then switched to PP mode and (fill in the blank.) Did you have head phones on all the times you found an 8 coin If not, then did you get audible tone in PP? Thanks. I'd be very interested to hear anyone's rendetion for their finds at 8 and more. A replay from memory for what you experienced might really help a V3i owner determine if his particular unit is defective, without having to spend the money and time of sending back home for a check up. Thanks. martin

MartinL, I feel myself right in tune with your questions and needs regarding the V3i. The feedback being provided is equally appreciated by me as well!!! I have been frustrated with my inability to get the most out of my V3i and I know a lion share of the problem comes from the individual running the machine...at least that's what I'm hopeful of until I learn otherwise. Thanks to all for your willingness to share and provide encouragement on this topic.

w.w.

E-TRAC, V3i, DFX
    Oldest coin detected: 1854 half dollar

Quote Originally Posted by wagon wheel View Post
    MartinL, I feel myself right in tune with your questions and needs regarding the V3i. The feedback being provided is equally appreciated by me as well!!! I have been frustrated with my inability to get the most out of my V3i and I know a lion share of the problem comes from the individual running the machine...at least that's what I'm hopeful of until I learn otherwise. Thanks to all for your willingness to share and provide encouragement on this topic.

w.w.
    Let us both hope that we get some meat and potatoes answers here Friend. This thread began with a much better fever than it did on that other forum, but it feels to me that feedback seems to have dwindled after I reported I saw 7 with the almost absent PP tone. You and I have a way to go before we can be happy campers, huh ;-) martin