Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

I hunt in parks .
    I find it takes alot more concentration and effort to use the 10DD coil.
    I look foward to using the other coils, However, I find the most desireable items with the 10DD.

I am still having trouble finding coins over 5 deep, I know they are there.
    My settings

Coins
    Rx 10 -14
    Disc. 92
    filter 5 band or 7.5 band.
    Recovery 85 or 120

today
    rosie 1951 5
    wheaty 1941 9
    wheaty 1954 5 ..
    3 coins in 2 hours
    Ignoring shallow targets, all digging broken quick chirps NOT solid hits.
    I am still getting used to this style of hunting , and Jacks COORSelate program.

What do you guys think?

Low to medium mineralized soil. .
    Spectra V3 1.3 V nulled coils- 10DD , 4x6 , Supper 12, 950, 5.3.
    XLT 950 , 15" 6" and BIGFOOT
    Minelabexplorer 10" ,8", SR X-1

Sounds a lil to hot to me depending on the frequency and ground .Some times its better to run though the fog with yr dims on, for the brights dont shine as far.Same thing with the power of the V3. Just a thought there. H.H. Yazoo

Not Hot , for this type of detecting

I did not Buy this $$$$ top Line MD to dig 0-4 surface coins, I want Old and deep.

I ran this Ground many times with rx 3 , 7 , 10 , now 12.
    Recomend rx is 10 -15.

I have not found a deep , Silver quarter Yet . while watching another Brand machine ,hiting the deep ones, over 6 inches.

Settings and swinging slow ,worked for my first Rosie, at this location.

I still need to learn a different style/ TECKnique of detecting and hotter/ beter settings.

Any advanced user suggestions ?

Try Deep Silver, I have pulled silver at 11-14 inches,and I used a non V nulled 10x14 excellerator.As for your program it looks to me that the all metal is set way to high. I know earlier when I had got my Vision back last spring I was setting things hotter and was going shallower,I cut back on some of the power and started going deeper .Some grounds need less to go deeper.My ground phase shows a -93 with the V3, about the same as my DFX used to DC phase it at. H.H. Yazoo

Hey teckpro!

If you popped a wheat at 9 inches with the D2 coil your doing just fine. My concern is you RX setting being a little high. If your getting a ground probe recommend in that range you must have relatively low mineralization. Thats good news! In low mineralization using the Super12 coil or larger 12x15 SEF coil will maximize your depth. The 12x15 SEF will do much better in trashy areas than the S12 coil. My favorite coil right now is the 10x12 SEF. I feel it easily out performs the D2 coil for depth and at the same time retains the excellent separation of the D2. I am not a fan of the D2 coil at all. I feel it is a bad choice of coil for the V3. Here is the latest revision of the Correlate program.

Here is the update on the Correlate based program for the V3

Choose the Coin & Jewelry from the presets and make the following changes...

Discrimination
    Accept (-95,-94,+40 to +95)
    Reject (-93 to +39)

Notes: Set your accept range to include all + numbers (+1 to +95) if you want to include the gold range. Deep Nickels and larger gold items will still sound off with the default settings above. Accepting all + range targets will make things much noisier as well. Remember this program is primarily for hunting old deep coins.

Sensitivity
    Rx Gain (9-10)
    Discrimination (92-93)
    All Metal (78)

Notes: Set your sensitivity to where your detector is stable. Do not sacrifice Discrimination sensitivity for Rx Gain. Keep the Discrimination sensitivity as high as possible. To much RX Gain will cause more problems with deep iron sounding like good targets.

Ground Tracking
    Speed (15)

Frequency
    Correlate (ON)
    Span (43)
    Wrap (-94)

Notes: I have now included -94 on the wrap and opened up the span setting to smooth out deep target responses.

Filter & Speed
    Ground Filter (5Hz Band Pass)
    Recovery Delay (115)

Audio
    Tone ID (ON)
    Modulation (OFF)

Set your Tone ID Mode to Custom and make the following changes...

-95 = 254
    -94 = 253

Notes: This last adjustment on the audio will let a deep coin produce a nice rolling response as opposed to being sharp and cut off. Hot rocks and rusty nail tips remain sharp and cut off while coins sound smooth and roll in the decay of the generated tone. This really works well. Don't skip this last setting especially with concentric coils like the 950 and Super12. The 22.5kHz frequency is the reason for this last setting. It will tend to wrap on a good deep target. Something in the logic of the V3 will choose this frequency over the 7.5kHz. If your not accepting these values in the negative range your target will respond short and sharp sounding, or not elicit a response at all.

Swing that coil slow and in about 4 foot passes. Make a pass in both directions over the same ground before overlapping for your next swing. Keep that coil on or slightly off the surface. I am a scrubber and keep my coil right on the ground when hunting. This works well on grass and dirt. If there is small rocks then I lift the coil enough for clearance.

Hope this helps you out.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Great information Jack, I know many of us appreciate the data and the efforts you put in to get this. Thanks, RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

Ok

I will reduce settings and use the sup12.

In all my hunting ,I keep the signal below 10% and noise is low to 0 and I no instability or falseing. Can I still be hurting/ reducing/ interfering with my depth??

Jack,

I'm getting a new V soon. Since the 10 D2 comes with the machine, which coil do you like best made by Whites. I have a DFX which I have the Super 12, 9 Reg conc, and 9 x 10 D for - none are V Rated (does it matter if you don't use the TX boost)?? I'm getting the X-mas coupon from Whites where I can spend another $100 and get something possibly V rated.

Also, wondering what kind of ground you have in Colorado as I am in NY with pretty low mineralization. Would you reccomend anything different in your correlate program for us Easterners. I'm sure you have written about this on another forum but there is so many pages to read thru.

Greatly appreciated,
    Scott
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Hello Scott!

Congratulations on the pending acquisition of a fine instrument. If your mineralization is low, that Super12 coil you have will serve you well. A properly nulled coil in your case may be worth the investment however. In low mineral content ground you can push the V3 a little harder. You might consider a v rated Eclipse 6x9, or a V rated Super12. This of coarse depends on what your hunting for and where you plan to hunt. I hope you will share your results with us here on the forum. I think we have what will prove to be one of the leading resources for the Spectra V3 detector on the Internet.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked your question. I have a moderate mineral content in most areas that I hunt. I have had good luck with the Super12 coil and currently using the 10x12 SEF coil. I think it is the best so far for me. I really like the extra logic that goes into the Correlate mode. It can quiet even the noisiest ground. If you can adjust it properly the coins just scream at you.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Does anyone know of any issues using a Sunray DX-1 on the V3?? I'm going to rob the one on my DFX.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

I believe I read that there are some issues with it, but minor ones. I think it most likely will not work when the boost is engaged. It may also overload when you have the sensitivity cranked. I'm not sure what they call the sensivity setting these days... TX boost
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Does anyone know of any issues using a Sunray DX-1 on the V3?? I'm going to rob the one on my DFX.
    It works relatively well. It does have a tendency to detune the target in single frequency modes. IT has about a 2 inch range most of the time, so it is not as quite as powerful on the V3 as it is on the DFX. I have taken to using a Garret Pin Pointer Pro that I bought for my Wife when she swings the DFX. I really like it and has about the same range. It has proximity feedback just like the DX-1. It's a toss up.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Veteran Member

I had an iron masking problem today I really didn't understand with the V3. Usually when hunting old large copper sites they are also infested with iron. If I get a good signal one way, I swing the other way, and if it just respond as iron, I ignore it. This is usually a nail, right? (well, it has been when I've dug them anyway).

Anyway, I got a target today that I was certain was an LC. Swung the other way, and it rang only as iron. Swung back tho and it showed as a LC. So, three of the 4 directions it rang high, and the fourth was iron only, with no hint of a high target. These are usually iron but I was pretty confident in this one, so I kept playing with it before digging, trying different program, etc.

Turns out the iron pinpointed a good foot away from the good target. But, when swinging from that direction, the V didn't see the good target at all. Tried it several times. Saw it consistently when swinging the other 3 directions, including the direction of target then iron.

I dug the good target and it turned out it was a farthing (nickel) - sized LC at 7 inches on its side. Marked the exact spot and again verified the iron target pinpointed a foot away from the copper target.

So, why would the iron mask that target when swinging from that direction a good foot away? I'm worried that good targets that are closer to iron are being totally masked. I was using the CJ program, but also tested Deep Silver and Jack's correlate program. Using the stock D2 coil (which is intermittently bad but was fine today).

Anyway, scan from all 4 directions, and if 3 are fine, dig. But I wouldn't expect what I saw today. Hope the question makes sense. Any help appreciated, TIA.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Iron masking is a much bigger problem than most people think. A large piece of iron can mask a target a good distance away. If your recovery speed is not set to the fast side, then your machine is still recovering from a large iron target and depending on how fast you sweep, you will lose the good target. All those adjustments are crucial, as well as a small coil for those situations. I don't know what those functions are on the V3, as some controls have been renamed, but they are crutial to reducing the masking found at cellar and house sites. Now, with the DFX, I have found that iron reacts a certain way from site to site, depending on the composition, I have found many good targets that did not repeat in many directions. I usually follow this rule. If I have to think about this particular target for more than 5 seconds, then I'm going to dig it. Some targets that are masked just give you a little bit more of a ratty signal than iron. Try it and see if you get any good targets.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

i'm not familiar with the v3 Randy but i've heard some of its settings are somewhat similar to the dfx , if i get what you described or just an iron null with a high chirp mixed in there somewhere . i will pinpoint the target and then pinpoint again ( which will shrink or seem to make the target even smaller) and hold it and while in this all metal mode check to see if there are any other targets close by . if there is one or more other targets about a coil width away or less i'll dig the target and re-sweep , did this at one site and i had to dig 2 pieces of iron first then got the large copper coin ( it was surrounded by 3 pieces of iron in total)

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice find there Randy! If I could ask few question regarding the scenario you just described in your post? What frequency configuration were you using? What was your filter and recovery time set to? Lastly how fast do you generally swing? This is a really good observation on your part. Thanks for sharing it here on the forum.

Jack

Veteran Member

I tried three programs. I swing at the recommended 2 sec per pass. I did try slower swings.

Stock CJ: 3 freq; 10hz high; recovery 80
    Deep silver: green freq; 5hz band; recovery 100
    Jack's original correlate: 3 freq; 5hz band; recovery 115

It is interesting, because I have found good targets in junk before, but my memory is a response in different frequencies -- like a sine wave on the Analyze screen or a switching of dominant frequency in pinpoint -- this has always been a good target near junk or a canslaw in my experience (can't tell the difference yet).

In the case above, is it possible the iron junk was green dominant? (I didn't check, and should have). This is where I don't understand the physics or electronics well enough, but is it possible that if the iron were responding green dominant, that the green freq hadn't recovered? Were the junk to be red or blue dominant, and the frequencies truly independent, it would perhaps have allowed green to respond. This is at least consistent with my other observations, but I am really totally clueless about what is going on under the hood.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    ...I dug the good target and it turned out it was a farthing (nickel) - sized LC at 7 inches on its side. Marked the exact spot and again verified the iron target pinpointed a foot away from the copper target.

So, why would the iron mask that target when swinging from that direction a good foot away?
    I think I know what was going on here. I re-read your post and saw that the coin was on it's edge. How many times have you carefully pinpointed your target only to find out the coin is still in the sidewall of the hole? This is because a coin on edge will often throw a false pinpoint and motion mode centering. I believe thats exactly what happened here. Iron also can throw a false center. If these 2 targets did this in each others direction it could really confuse the filters of the detector and make them appear as if they were right on top of each other. Did you dig the iron target? If not you should go back and dig it. An elongated piece of iron would add more effect as well. (nail, wire, screw). Just a thought.

Jack

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I think I know what was going on here. I re-read your post and saw that the coin was on it's edge. How many times have you carefully pinpointed your target only to find out the coin is still in the sidewall of the hole? This is because a coin on edge will often throw a false pinpoint and motion mode centering. I believe thats exactly what happened here.
    Thanks Jack, that makes perfect sense. Not only that, I noted the coin was facing the iron . I did not dig the iron, tho I thought about it in the interest of curiosity.

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision - Aluminium?? DC phase??

Does anyone have an idea on how aluminum shows up on the analyze screen. Which frequency peaks best and also how the other frequencies respond. Does one dip??

Also, I was reading in the manual (page 33) you can go into the Ground Probe readings from the Live Controls with Ground Tracking highlighted. Analysis of ground and target for phase/VDI differences is possible. Is there a way to keep this an active screen or have this window open all the time?? Is this a practicle option like DC Phase readings is on the DFX.

I hope these questions are practicle, I haven't even turned on my new machine with the snow and frozen ground. I have been reading the manual and visting forums though. I cannot wait for Spring.....