Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

Aluminum is a crazy thing. Run over an aluminum can with a lawnmower and you have just created a full spectrum of target responses. Throw in 4 decades of pulltabs and you got yourself a challenge. Depth of target is the best indication for me. I never find to much aluminum past 4 inches. When you go to pinpoint larger pieces of aluminum will show a larger contour. Most aluminum responds stronger for me in the 7.5 kHz frequency, but there is always exceptions. This is really a tough one to pin down. If your looking for gold you just have to dig it all for awhile and try to profile your location. Oh, and by the way. If you find the secret to differentiating aluminum please send me a PM. We would not want to let everyone know about this ...

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Oh, and by the way. If you find the secret to differentiating aluminum please send me a PM. We would not want to let everyone know about this
    lol lol lol lol
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

I guess I was hoping for too much on the aluminium wave pattern. Just as I suspected, dig it all for gold just like every other machine on the market!!

Anyone used the ground probe analysis window?? No responses to that question yet.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Anyone used the ground probe analysis window?? No responses to that question yet.
    Not other than to get a recommended RX Gain setting and to get an idea of what kind of penetration I am getting into the ground...

While on the subject, doing single frequency probes will reveal the handicap the 22.5 kHz frequency actually puts on the V3. Now it's well known that lower frequencies penetrate mineralization much better, but having such a high frequency try to correlated with the lower two frequencies in a multi mode program is just not going to give you good results. I believe this higher frequency skews the results of a multi frequency ground probe as well. I kind of wish Whites would not of went so high with this frequency. Putting one at 15.5 kHz would have not only enhanced the multi frequency modes, but there would have been no need for V-rated Coils. The only benefit I see to the 22.5 is nugget shooting in single frequency mode, which most of us will never do. If I did make the effort to nugget shoot I would certainly go much higher in frequency with a specialty machine. This being said, I still think you can still get great depth and sensitivity with the V3, but wouldn't it be fun to go coin shooting with a 2.5/7.5/15.5 configuration.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Jack I read your above post about the 22.5 and v rated coils. I have been running relic mode in single freq 22.5 with the 10dd coil Tried it with my 10x12 sef coil and had to reduce the gain, probe recommended 2 I switched to 7.5 single and the probe recommended 15 for the SEF. So I guess if you run single freq with non V coil stay away from the 22.5 Also been using your correlate program for relic hunting and am amazed how stable and deep it is with the 10x12 sef. Going to try it at the next DIV in the hot dirt of North Virginia

Even on V rated coils the 22.5 kHz response patterns are to far from the 2.5 kHz and the 7.5 kHz. You are correct in that this is even more obvious with a non V rated coils. The 22.5 kHz by itself is not the issue, it's when you try to use it in conjunction with the other 2 frequencies that causes the problems. The higher frequency will wrap on you time and time again. Custom Tone settings and the wrap function of the correlate mode is the only way I have found to deal with this. At shallower depths it is not an issue, but when you get into the 8 to 10 inch range it becomes obvious.

Over the Christmas holiday I managed to get out for a short hunt one afternoon. Using the above program and SEF coil I ran into noise problems with the -95, -94 range for the first time. Lowjiber had described this issue to me in detail, so I recognized it immediately. It would appear that the Mineralization is higher in western Colorado than on the Front Range, or at least in this area I hunted. The area had about 8 to 12 inches of topsoil mixed with small gravel the deeper you dug. Just under this layer was some pretty large donies (river stones). This played tricks with the filters and tracking, kind of like hunting the edge of a sidewalk and extending your swing over the sidewalk. I adjusted up the ground tracking speed and did away with the accepting of -95 and -94. I adjusted the wrap to -95 and things quieted down. I actually had to dig a large donie out of the way to get at 1 of the Wheats I found. Average depth on the keepers were 7 to 8 inches. I have hunted this area with the Super12 in the past and did not experience the noise problems. Then again I did not find any coins with it in this same area. So I guess this is a good example of DD style coils doing better in higher mineralization.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Hello everyone, my name is Paul and I live in Maryland. I am brand new to MD and have bought a Spectra V3 and have the 10 DD, Super 12, 5.3 and the 6x10 DD coils. If I were to buy one more coil what would you guys recommend, maybe the SEF 10x12? Any suggestion on getting started and getting the hang of the V3 would be great.

Whites Spectra V3i - Sun Ray Invader DX-1 - Garrett Propointer - Super 12 - Eclipse DD (6x10) - 10 DD - Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) - Excelerator SEF 10x12 Butterfly

Hey Paul!

I have been on the road traveling back home to the front range of Colorado. Sorry I did not reply to your PM in a timely fashion. It looks like you have assembled a nice collection of coils. You will have your hands full initially learning all those coils. If your coin shooting I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an SEF coil. The 10x12 is my coil of choice for the V3 at the moment. What type of hunting will you be doing? Do you have areas already picked out to hunt? This information will help with advice on what direction to go. Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the addiction.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Jack, thanks for getting back to me. I am excited to start MD with the V3, I am doing as much reading as I can before getting my hands dirty. I think I am going to add the SEF 10x12 to my inventory, have you heard whether there are any major differences between the 10x12 and the 12x15? I live in Maryland and initially will be hunting where ever I can find open space. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the Baltimore area, on the shore I plan to hunt in wooded areas, farms and any older areas I can find. Eventually I want to hunt Civil War Battlefields. I would say just starting out I will be hunting a variety of things, coins, jewelry, relics, etc. I have to say reading your posts and others on the various discussion boards has me excited to get going, but I am trying to get a little education on all this before I jump in not knowing anything so any advice or help will be great. I am curious to learn about ground mineralization and how to know which coil to use and how to adjust the V3 for the different environments I may encounter. So thanks again, and I welcome all advice....

Talk soon, Paul
    Whites Spectra V3i - Sun Ray Invader DX-1 - Garrett Propointer - Super 12 - Eclipse DD (6x10) - 10 DD - Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) - Excelerator SEF 10x12 Butterfly

With the 10 DD I dont find any Quantity of coins , however I have found some of my best silver coins . 1 silver coin every 3 hours.

With the 5.3 or 950 I can find 6 to 10 clad coins an hour.

I find I have to swing slow And move slow with the 10 DD to get the deep silver,-harder coil to learn.

thats alot of coils to learn how to use.
    Low to medium mineralized soil. .
    Spectra V3 1.3 V nulled coils- 10DD , 4x6 , Supper 12, 950, 5.3.
    XLT 950 , 15" 6" and BIGFOOT
    Minelabexplorer 10" ,8", SR X-1

Thanks Teckpro for the advice and sharing your experiences. I am so glad I found this website. I know I am starting with many coils but being retired from the Army and disabled I have all the time in the world to do the research and learn as much as I can and hopefully get some of the knowledge from you guys that have stories, advice and your own experiences to share. Hey I wanted to ask, do the 950 and the 5.3 do about the same thing? I have read a number of discussion threads where people were debating which one was better.
    Thanks again, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pgwillin View Post
    Hey I wanted to ask, do the 950 and the 5.3 do about the same thing? I have read a number of discussion threads where people were debating which one was better.
    Thanks again, Paul
    Hey Paul, I don't have the V3 but in general, and no matter which detector you have, the 5.3 and the 950 coils are made for different purposes. You will always lose depth with the smaller coil, although sometimes not that much, but you will always gain target separation with the little coil. So if you are in a very trashy area, the smaller coil should find targets that the larger coil couldn't. But if you are covering a large field where targets are apart from one another, you need a coil that goes deep and covers more ground. That's where the 950 would be used. As far as which one is better. That depends on what you find with it lol I never saw the need for a small coil with my DFX until one day I bought the 4x6DD coil and started finding buttons and coins where I've been many times before. Then it was the best coil ever
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hi for all.
    I have a question for CyberSage:
    You are using the 10x12 SEF coil with good results. I have found that the SEF 10x12 (this SEF is from my previous DFX) that I use when I use only the frequency 22.5 kHz, a quarter Dolar USA VDI gives me a -85 or so.
    Could it be that this coil is ready to reach the frequency of 15Khz and using the frequency of 22.5 kHz Spectra is forced to read VDI?.
    Have you tried to read a quarter (silver) with coil SEF using only the 22.5 frequency?
    Thank you very much and excuse my language (I can not speak English)
    Greetings
    Manu

PD:
    If I use three frequencies to read the quarter, the spectragraf bar does not rise in 22.5. But it works well for the other two frequencies (2.5 and 7.5).

I have never experienced this before. The only coil that has given me skewed result of that magnitude has been the Bigfoot coil. I will have to check this out.

Jack

hey Jack if he (Manuellar) was using this coil on his dfx first is it very likely an older SEF coil , could this coil be calibrated for the lower (15khz) frequency on the dfx and not higher one (22.5khz) the v3 runs at. would that explain the skewed vdi numbers

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

As far as I know they have not manufactured a V3 specific SEF coil. I will do some air testing tonight.

Hey guys I just ordered the SEF 10x12 and they make a specific coil for Whites that is V3 compatible. They actually carry 5 different SEF 10x12 coils for different manufacturers.

Strange thing happened today. I was lying on the couch half out of it when I heard what I thought was my new V3 turn on and make some of its usual sounds. Sat there for a moment and thought that was impossible because it was turned off. It has been off for sure since Saturday and was sitting behind me in the corner. Assumed I was hearing things or it was one of my kid's new toys upstairs making similar sounds, my son just started playing with his iPod Touch as he just took it off the computer's USB port and was surfing applications via my Wi-Fi network. I kept hearing the V3 noise so I got up and sure enough the V3 was on and at the turn on screen. Tried to turn it off but the On/Off button did nothing. So I pulled the battery waited a few moments and checked it for normal operation, everything seems to be ok.

What I'm wondering is if the V3 can be frogged up with my WiFi network or an iPod touch?? Has anyone had this happen. Maybe that is why White's recommends taking the battery out when not in use

By the way I found two pennies, one a '44 wheat, on Saturday making my inaugural V3 hunt a success. Still have a lot to learn as it seems to be quite different from my DFX, especially with the ghosts and all.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

I am glad you didn't say it was still beeping and talking at ya after you pulled the battery! Can't wait to see what Jack has to say about this one!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.