Thread: A couple more restored relics.

A couple more restored relics.

A lot of the neat relics that I find are in the woods in the winter as are both of these. The skillet I found in a woods that once had a girl's seminary school that started back in 1879 and was open till 1910 (my brother and I also made some nice coin finds here too). I restored this yesterday and talking about a job, the old rust was a real bear getting off plus the skillet is very pitted in the bottom. After I got the thick layers of rust off and washed off good I put a little vegetable in it and let it get to where the oil was rippling, poured out the excess, swabbed the rest of it down with an vegetable oil on a paper towel and put it in 375 degrees for an hour. I've already fried 3 eggs in it and you don't even need a spatula, they slide right out.

I'll never forget the day that I found the lighter, I also found a nice big gold class ring in the same patch of woods. It was January 16th 2010 and there was about 6 inches of crusty snow, my brother was there also and found a really nice Indian. Anyway the lighter I restored was missing the screw's on the bottom and recently I found another one just like it without the lid that had the screws, I pulled all the old cotton out and crammed a bunch of cotton balls in it, pulled the wick out a little and trimmed it off, I had to drill out the old flint spring and a little oil on the hinge and it works. . not as good as my Zippo though.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: A couple more restored relics.

Great job Larry!!! Already cooking eggs on it Nice resto getting the lighter to working order thumbsup01
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Very nice relics. And a great job restoring them. It's neat restoring old stuff and using it. Keep the pics coming.
    Tomorrow should be a great day, provided nothing stops me from preventing it from not happening.

That's neato stuff Larry
    Looks like you can fix about anything

That is terrific, a lot of history there!
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Nice restro jobs Larry thumbsup01 thumbsup01 You can't beat them cast iron skillets
    Today is my day

Nice job. Looks good and old to me. Fantastico.

Your like Emmit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Veteran Member

thats as cool as it gets ...... FIRE
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Veteran Member

Cool Larry thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Thanks for all the great replies everyone thumbsup01 I've been using both these items since. The skillet is so small you really are better off using a bigger one for more than 1 egg, the lighter works good in the wind too. I found out a little history on the lighter, it was made no later than 1954 and probably no earlier than 1950, after that they started making them from aluminum instead of brass.

thoes little skillets are good for making cornbread in,thats what I use,great job on restor.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.