Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois...

Re: In the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois...

Just throwing out another possible group hunt location. Take a look at Big Hill Park in Beloit. The park dates back to the 1920's and is almost 200 acres. Plenty of open area as well as wooded terrain along the Rock River.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

The Green County Fair grounds finally got back to me and they do not allow metal detecting on the grounds.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    The Green County Fair grounds finally got back to me and they do not allow metal detecting on the grounds.
    Bummer
    So whats plan &quot? We can either try the other park there in Monroe (Twining Park) or the place that Milco suggested in Beloit (Big Hill Park)
    I'm easy. You guys choose. Either ones fine with me.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Hi all! New to this forum. Im in southern wisconsin, near Madison. If either of the parks mentioned are State parks, then they are off limits. If not, contact the city of Monroe or Beloit to see about permission if they are city parks. I would be interested in joining a group dig also!

Quote Originally Posted by DetectorDanG link=topic=4105.msg100465#msg100465 date=1329191822
    Hi all! New to this forum. Im in southern wisconsin, near Madison....
    .... I would be interested in joining a group dig also!
    Hey DetectorDanG
    You know this whole thing kinda fell through. It would be cool to try and set something up again this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=4105.msg100475#msg100475 date=1329203474
    Hey DetectorDanG
    You know this whole thing kinda fell through. It would be cool to try and set something up again this spring.
    And I would definitely be up for joining in this time! It would only be a couple hours drive for me.
    thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

In the fall I started to look for a place that we could have a Am Det group hunt but did not have much luck. Maybe some of you Midwesterners may know of a place in your area. I was looking for an old scout/youth camp or Fair/ carnival grounds something along those lines where there would be enough room for a big group to hunt for a weekend. It would also have to have the potential for some older coins. What do you think?

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Would there be room for one more? I'm willing to overnight road trip for good finds!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Don't think I haven't been looking at this..... It would be great to get together with you guys/gals. Could always use a few tips and tricks..

Quote Originally Posted by Dinger51 link=topic=4105.msg100589#msg100589 date=1329332456
    Don't think I haven't been looking at this..... It would be great to get together with you guys/gals. Could always use a few tips and tricks..
    Cool!
    Don't worry Jordan, if it happens... we can make room for a Buckeye or two....or three.... or.... thumbsup01

I'll throw out a couple ideas, no idea if any are viable though.

Jo Daviess Co Fairgrounds - Warren
    Camp Canyon Boy Scout Camp - near Stockton
    Freeport parks?

Maybe someone on here has some connections to the first two and could help us with permission.
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Thanks Milco, the camp and the fairgrounds sound interesting. The camps website states it was founded in 1932 and it is 283 acres. They also have cabins for rent so it could hold a bigger group. If no one objects I will make a call this week and see if they would let us hunt it and what weekends would be available.
    Does anyone know anymore history about these sites? Usually scout camps were something else before the scouts bought the land. I'm sure the fairgrounds is old but how much is virgin ground and how much has it been hunted in the past.
    Thanks again Milco for your imput hopefully we can make this happen this year.

Yeah! Thanks Darren thumbsup01
    I don't have any objections to either of the sites. \

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=4105.msg101101#msg101101 date=1329700841
    Does anyone know anymore history about these sites?
    No. But I'll do a little lookin' around into the history of the sites too. See if I can find anything

FF43, thanks for making the call on the scout camp. I really think that may be the best option for a group outing if they would let us on there. Not much there but woods and riverbank going way, way back. I keep researching in the meantime. It would be ideal if we could get a scout map of the camp from the 1930's or 1940's showing where the various campsites were. These maps do exist, as I have seen them before for other scout camps. We just gotta keep checking in on this and make this group hunt happen. Sometime in May or June I think would be ideal.

I would also add this is about 1-1/2 hours from Dubuque and about 2-1/2 hours from Milwaukee. Not quite half way, but I would make the trip for a good site and to meet some AD MDers.

1946 aerial of camp area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am new to metal detecting and I am tyring to find some places to hunt. I live in the Chicago area but my family owns property not far from the Wisconsin Dells. About 10 minutes from the property is an old school house that is abandoned. The are many broken windows on the building. There is also a small fenced in area where it appears a small playground use to be. Anyone interested in meeting up and hunting this with me?

Josh