Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Trac in the shop

E-Trac in the shop

Well before the big thaw comes I figured I better have the E-Trac looked at. Shortly after buying my E-Trac (used) last year. I tryed turning the machine on one day....and nothing! So I keep pushing the power button and it finally came on. It would happen randomly through out the summer. One time the power button did nothing. But when I pushed the arrow pointing right, right below the power button, the machine fired up. One time the back light button turned it on :bangahead01: Toward the end of the season it seemed to stop. I took it out about two weeks ago and it did it again so I figured I better get it looked at rather now than when it's 70 degrees outside and prime hunting days ! I heard through a fellow on YouTube and a Whites repair tech that MineLab's new tech center recently came to the Chicagoland area. I called MineLab and talked to Angie on the phone. She verified they defiantly are in northern Illinois.There address' are:
    MineLab (main office) MineLab (tech center)
    2777 Finley Road, Unit #4 1418 Brook Dr.
    Downers Grove, IL 60515 USA Downers Grove, IL 60515
    Customer Care: 1-877-SOS-MLAB (1-877-767-6522)
    Toll Free: 1-888-949-6522
    T: 1-630-401-8150
    F: 1-630-401-8180
    E: info@minelabusa.com
    So I got up and took the hour and 20 minute drive to their facility in Downers Grove this morning. They said their usual turn around time has been about 5 business days. But recently is up to 17 to 20 days. 8/ I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator 8/ They said from what I've told them it could be just a bad control panel. To replace a bad control panel it would cost about $50 plus labor which is $60 @ hr. Which is what the tech guy told me he's thinking it is from what I've described. He said he's 99.5% sure. I hope he's right !Which all would've been covered under warrenty if it was bought new :bangahead01: On the other hand it could be a bad board. He gave me the real name of it and I forgot what it is called lol Anyways if that's what is bad the cost is between $250-$270 plus shop rate So I took it to them today and Angie took my name, number and symptoms down on a sticky note and propped the E-Trac up against the wall and said &quot.K. we'll give you a call when we diagnosed the problem, before we do any repair work.
    I'm a little nervous :-\ Has anyone else ever had to send a machine into MineLab for repair? And if so. How was the experience? I'm hoping for just a bad control panel,if that, short turn around time, and seamless transaction!!... ...But that's not usually how things work for me. >:\
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Re: E-Trac in the shop

I had mine sent in originally when they came out. They did a real good job of fixing my machine. Not many of them break from what I read about them, but they are a sophisticated piece of electronics and things happen. Mine was under warranty, so I didn't pay for anything. I'm hoping it's a quick fix. They really did make sure it was working well when they gave it back to me. I have never sent it back to them, but I did send mine in to replace the shaft locks at a CT dealer a couple of weeks ago, so I share your anxiety withdrawals rofl
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Candidate Member

Please keep us posted on progress of your problem, >:\ I have the V3i and am planning on getting the e-trac in the near future. GOOD LUCK , Ron

Hope you get your machine back as good as new. And hope it does not cost you a arm and a leg.
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

I'll keep you guys up to speed on the progress and communications through out the transaction. This way I'll be able to reference this thread for my own notes too. I'm hoping it's faster than they're predicting. It's suppose to be in the 40's next week!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    so I share your anxiety withdrawals rofl
    It's not funny !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    I'll keep you guys up to speed on the progress and communications through out the transaction. This way I'll be able to reference this thread for my own notes too. I'm hoping it's faster than they're predicting. It's suppose to be in the 40's next week!! lolIt's not funny !!
    If it's not funny, then why am I laughing rofl Who am I kidding, I kinda like and miss ET

Who am I kidding, I kinda like and miss ET
    Yeah it kinda grows on ya lol

Good luck with your E-trac I D . I hope they go easy on you . Sure hope my SE doesn't break down at those prices I got mine used also .

Hey Tim,
    It cost me a lot of money to get those guys to go slow on repairing your machine. happydance02 I told them that everytime I make a great find, you beat me the next week with something even better!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Hey Tim,
    It cost me a lot of money to get those guys to go slow on repairing your machine. happydance02 I told them that everytime I make a great find, you beat me the next week with something even better!
    If you pay them enough, they may even misplace his machine for a couple of months lol

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Hey Tim,
    It cost me a lot of money to get those guys to go slow on repairing your machine. happydance02
    If you pay them enough, they may even misplace his machine for a couple of months lol
    Whaaa :bangahead01: :bangshead02: crying01
    Dave when I get it back and dig my first Reale you'll be the first to know buddy lol thumbsup01

Bummer brother.

I can see how that would get very frustrating as the season went on last year. From my experience with somewhat similar devices... it does sound like a control panel issue. I hope it is an easy/inexpensive fix for you.

Thanks for the Minelab info. I'll file that away... hopefully never to be needed. thumbsup01

Veteran Member

Wow Digger that place is two minutes from my house in Glen Ellyn. If you ever go there again let me know maybe we can hook up and get in a quick hunt. I've got a few places we can go, nothing special but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    Wow that place is two minutes from my house in Glen Ellyn.
    Well then go pound on the door and ask them where Coinnut's detector is. They are holding up a beach hunt rofl It would be really nice to live that close to a major manufacturer of detectors. Mine was just recently sent there, so I'm kidding about the progress. It seems it needs some minor tweaking. The dealer that was looking at it was amazed that it wasn't completely broken given the amount of, let's say abnormal use, lol it was showing. But that machine was still hitting deep on a bench diagnostic test. Go Minelab

Yeah I think I would go nuts if I only had one detector. Do you all have a back up just in case?
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Rebel View Post
    Yeah I think I would go nuts if I only had one detector. Do you all have a back up just in case?
    I have a back up and it's a good one, but I just can't seem to pick it up after I tried the E trac. I probably should buy another one to back the first one up rofl

I would love to have another one myself coinnut. But I think the wife would

Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    Wow Digger that place is two minutes from my house in Glen Ellyn. If you ever go there again let me know maybe we can hook up and get in a quick hunt. I've got a few places we can go, nothing special but who knows?
    Man that is close! PM sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Rebel View Post
    Do you all have a back up just in case?
    Yeah I hung onto both of my White's machines. It's nice so the kids can use one if I can talk them into going out. lol I even got my dad to swing the DFX for a day in a park down the road from their house. Last fall the better halves uncle was really pumped about trying out a metal detector. So I let him use one for a day. And I'm really glad that I kept them now lol

Update: Monday the 7th and I still hadn't heard from Minelab on my E-trac's repairs. So I called Minelab and no one answered the phone So I left a message to please call me back, after I explained the estimated time of repair was upon us. I received a call back about 2:30 telling me that they basically forgot about my machine until I called, and that it was still leaning against the wall were I left it four weeks ago 8/ They said they were sorry and it was put on RUSH now. Great
    They said I'd get a call on Tuesday the 8th to set up payment arrangements. Once that was taken care of then they would put in the work order and start repairs. WHAT!? So i waited for the call on Tuesday and it never came Today around 2:30 again the phone rings...it's Minelab, saying the repairs are done and it's ready for pick-up!! So I'm going to get my machine in the A.M. All I can say is I'm less than pleased with this whole ordeal. I just hope it's fixed and fixed right.

Man, they sure dropped the ball on that one . Sure hope the guy who repaired it , did it right . I'm anxious to see how much it costs you to bail your machine out . Good Luck with this . Check the serial number on it before you sign for it and before you drive home be sure to try it out on their lawn .