Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver #13 for the year is SWEET!!!

Silver #13 for the year is SWEET!!!

Hi all!
    Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I posted a topic about an old fairgrounds that I have permission to hunt. I am very good friends with the guy that owns it and currently am building cabinets and doing all the trim in some new apartments for him. This complex sits right on the old fairgrounds that was used from about 1880 to roughly the 1930s I think.
    Houses and apartments now sit on roughly 2/3rds of the old grounds,,but this place is still huge. The oval track was about a half mile long. They used to race trotter horses there. The owner told me when he bought the ground in the early 70s and started to level the banked corners of the track down,,,a lot of guys detected it and he said they found lots of coins including many silver dollars. What is left now is an open farm field , currently chisel plowed awaiting seeding.
    The field has been nothing but a muddy mess the whole time I've been working at the apartments,,until today I looked out and it looked detectable!!! As luck would have it ,,I had the M6 in the truck as I was going to a spot after work,,,which I did,,,that's another story
    Anyway,,,about break time I thought I would try and swing out in back of the apartments where they took some dirt out to let the water drain quickly. I was just bouncing around trying to get a decent signal,,,no rhyme or reason to what I was doing. Then I got a bouncy , scratchy,,,dollar signal at 4 I dug a plug,,,popped it out and it broke into chunks,,,In one of the chunks I saw a silvery thing looking back at me and saw a BIG reeded edge I thought NO WAY!!! Someone in the 70s missed a nice 1883 O Morgan dollar!!! <: <: <: <: Now I was pumped!!!!! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02 I heard all the stories about guys finding a lot of silver there,,,now I know they are true!!!
    Well,,,,hard as it was to do,,,I had to get back to work
    But, believe me,,,,I will be back very soon!!!! I'm pretty sure I will be the only with permission 8) 8) 8)
    This is still a huge field,,,,,wish I had a few of you guys a little closer,,,,I know there's gotta be a bunch of coins still there!!!! This is only the second silver dollar I've found,,,both Morgans. I hope to find more there!!!!
    #13 silver coin for the year was definitely a lucky one!!!!!!!! happydance02 happydance02 <: <:

Thanks for looking folks!!
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Re: Silver #13 for the year is SWEET!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |) |) |)

That is one awesome coin. A BIG congratulations to you, and I hope you find a bunch more.

The holy grail of silver coins! <: I can only imagine your excitement when you caught first glimpse of that baby.
    Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun there. I'm looking forward to your finds.
    A great big silver dollar congrats to you Dan.

Veteran Member

Holy crup! what a nice coin. Hope you find more!!

Very nice! Congrats on that one and hope you find a lot more silver there, sounds like a lot of potential!!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Veteran Member

Congratulations My Friend !! happydance02 happydance02
    Outstanding Find Dan ..Get back out there !!
    Hope You find a lot more Silver there Dan thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    I'll bet that Baby sounded great in the headphones thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Awesome score on your second Morgan Carver thumbsup01 I would like to find another myself, I'm still on #1.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo C

From the land of the Bluenose.....man that is one sweet hunk of silver youz! Big congrats on a spendid find! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Dan, Congrats on the BIG silver...What a beaut of a coin.... I am so excited for you and the excitement of knowing that the spot can yield even more quality goodies for you. Looking foward to seeing pics of each one you find!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS, shes a beauty tha definately would get the heart pumping wtg.
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Elite Member

I've been detecting for more than 2 decades, and I have still not found one of those beauties
    Congrats on a great find
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

What a beauty big congrats !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01I've only found one in 19yrs. but everytime I think about it I relive the thrill of that moment .

just like your old school site that you pulled all that silver from Dan <: <: hit that site again before they cover up for the next century of detectorist , AWESOME COIN DAN!!
    Sacramento California
    V3i DFX MXT
    Excalibur II

Super recovery Dan,I remember finding my first morgan,it took a week to get rid of the smile on my face lol ,I hope that place gives up lots of them before you are done...I put down a laminate floor in a basement remodel today,the temp was in the 60's here,sure was hard to work inside ,Can't wait to see your next adventure there,keep them coming,Dave
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

every thing I was going to say was already said but congrats on the big silver Dan.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

WOW no that is some good looking silver. congrats
    $-19
    .50-3
    Q-608
    D-658
    N-340
    P-1700
    TOKEN rtd-32
    COIN COUNT=3380
    TOTAL=268.19
    wheat's-28
    42 merc,20merc,45sWLH,ND buff nick,1895 IH
    yen=4,860 yen =$64.00
    goldsale=$1,215.00

It doesn't get much better than that, Dan!

Awesome BIG silver dude !!! ya gotta love it ! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

What a great coin. If they missed that, think of all the dimes and quarters they missed.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold