Thread: Hard Digging With Frozen Fingers!

Hard Digging With Frozen Fingers!

With wind chill in the mid teens only the brave would go out for a hunt....or the daft!

Went out with Doug to the old park again Doug came with his E-Trac and Sunray X5 coil, he wanted to try an experiment. He was going to dig every target that was over 3” in depth, write it down and record it to see what everything was reading. I started off with clad and Doug with pull tabs! After a bit he called me over to check a signal with TTF and while the spot was loaded with iron I got a decent enough signal to say I think there may be a good target. Well he was committed to digging it anyway and it turned out to be a 1919 wheat. We ran into Bill (aka Metal Illness) and had a nice talk and compared notes.

We moved to another spot and Doug got some wheats and I got some screw tops…man they sound just like wheats don’t they? We decided to move on to another site and on the way out Doug was walking and swinging the little coil along the ground. We were talking when we both heard the sweet tone of a high conductive target. Checking it out it sounded good and he dug a 1947-S Rosey. Well of course we decided to stay. A bit later I got the best signal that I had all day. I was having one of those days in where you don’t get that screaming signal that says “dig me dig me” until now. Even at that it was a bit jumpy with a 15-44 the most constant reading I could get, but ahh the tone promised more. At about 4” I could see the silver edge. I called Doug over and said “You know I think it could be a Barber” it just had that look from the small part I could see. And that is what it was a 1901-o Barber dime. My oldest silver so far.

Bill came over and showed us a clod with a green coin sticking out. At first sight he thought it was an Indian but closer inspection showed it was a George V Canadian penny, 1920 in beautiful condition. We had a great time and the good friendship and good coins kept us warm.

Hunting With Bell-Two #39
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Psalms 24:1 The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Re: Hard Digging With Frozen Fingers!

I love seeing those Barber dimes. Nice hunt you guys had despite the cold. The wind would have had me begging for mercy. lol

That really looked like a fun hunt! Thanks for taking us along. Congratulations on the Barber and Merc. That's the way to tough it out guys.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

One good signal and it was a goodie too!! thumbsup01 happydance02
    I love the barbers I'm still lookin' for #1 of 2011
    Nice hunt guys!
    Congrats on the goodies
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime