Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's your silver coming from?

Where's your silver coming from?

I get a chuckle when I think about how hard it is for me to find silver where I live. So far this year I have found 19 silver coins. Of those, only four came from Oklahoma where I live. The rest have all been on trips out of state! Anyone else have this problem?
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Re: Where's your silver coming from?

Yeah, around here coppers are more common.
    Silvers are hard to find unless you find a hot spot from the era.
    Krom and I have been fortunate enough to have one spot where silvers are plentiful.
    We've been detecting that area for 3 years or so and we're still finding them...
    the problem comes, though, when they don't turn the ground.
    When they start cutting trees in an area there and the ground is undisturbed,
    we'll pull bad nickels and Indian Heads galore...
    But once they cut into the ground (where they cut those trees) and turn the soil,
    or even just doze the roots, the silvers seem to almost be sifted from the ground.

We're waiting for another turn... they just cut some trees and IHs, Vs and Buffs are being found at the moment. And when it rains like it has been today, all the water stays... it's boggy. Not gonna be fun there for a while so we might not get there until spring again.

Sounds like an awesome site! Wish I had something like that here.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    It's just an old fairgrounds...
    When they shut the fair down at that site it was simply abandoned.
    The property changed hands over time but it was never utilized... until now....
    The guy is trying to make crop fields out of it, so stirring up the ground
    and pulling the metal is no issue for him.

I have been hitting the parks near my location, both in CT and MA. I also try to work the grassy strips near the streets from time to time.

Have you ever hit a place where you KNOW there should be silver but you pull none?

Not to change the subject, Okie... but some of these places you know were hopping at the height of the silver coin era sometimes just don't produce one... perhaps someone hit it hard already and snagged all those silver signals...? Could be just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Have you ever hit a place where you KNOW there should be silver but you pull none?

Not to change the subject, Okie... but some of these places you know were hopping at the height of the silver coin era sometimes just don't produce one... perhaps someone hit it hard already and snagged all those silver signals...? Could be just me...
    I have so far been fortunate in that, except for two or three small parks, I have managed to pull at least one piece of silver from every park I have hit this year. The silver is still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post

I have so far been fortunate in that, except for two or three small parks, I have managed to pull at least one piece of silver from every park I have hit this year. The silver is still out there.
    That is your experience kicking in. I'd like to learn how to hear those whispers below the trash. I agree.. It's still out there. Tapping into it is a horse of a different color in such spots.

IMHO, I believe a lot of it has to do with location. There just wasn't a whole lot of money here. We weren't even a state until 1907. We only have one park that has been hit harder than you can possibly imagine. On top of that, I'm lucky to find a coin even 7 deep in our park. That's very deep for here. I think the people back east have it made.

KY is an old state but there just isn't silver here. I haven't been here long enough to figure out whether it's because people were just too poor to drop their money, or if it's because detectorists have already pulled it all.

But it's depressing.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I live in an area of small town's and most of the parks have been hit hard over the years. Since getting the Etrac I have found silver where I thought it wasn't but sooner or later those few left behind coins will be found too. Now I mainly try to hunt old farmsteads that seem to produce some nice finds.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMN View Post
    I live in an area of small town's and most of the parks have been hit hard over the years. Since getting the Etrac I have found silver where I thought it wasn't but sooner or later those few left behind coins will be found too. Now I mainly try to hunt old farmsteads that seem to produce some nice finds.
    I need to focus on old farmsteads here too. At least they are usually 'virgin' sites. Permission is tricky though.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I live in the mountains in the south S.F. Bay Area. The bay area has hundreds of parks. However, the vast majority of them don't pre-date 1965...having been orchards before the California boom days growth expanded throughout Silicon Valley.

There are still rosies and occasional silver quarters to be found here, but you've got to hunt deeper because of the large number of detectorists in the area.

I've had much more success (Merc-wise) in tiny, old parks located many miles from here. Small towns that have supported agriculture in the central valley of the state usually have at least one small, un-detected park that dates back to the 1920's. Most of these parks have not had the additional topsoil and construction projects that plague my efforts elsewhere...they're pretty much as they were when first built.

Being retired, I have the time and resources to keep hitting those spots.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

It's just an old fairgrounds...
    When they shut the fair down at that site it was simply abandoned.
    The property changed hands over time but it was never utilized... until now....
    The guy is trying to make crop fields out of it, so stirring up the ground
    and pulling the metal is no issue for him.
    Yeah, and some days ya gotta wade thru knee deep in wet stinky chicken poop and crawly little white things to get to that silver....

Most of mine have come from the national guard campsites. Thats where I found my WLH this year. Still it can be a tough row to hoe finding the right area.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

I started hunting the parks in Harford last Oct and have done pretty good so far. I've found 33 Silver coins since..I've been on a drought for the past month but there's still more out there just going to have to find another hot spot..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
    I started hunting the parks in Harford last Oct and have done pretty good so far. I've found 33 Silver coins since..I've been on a drought for the past month but there's still more out there just going to have to find another hot spot..

Bruce
    33 isn't bad. I just found # 20 today. It's rough here.

33 isn't bad. I just found # 20 today. It's rough here.
    20 for the year is a nice tally. It seems you get on a nice little tear then hit the wall for me..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Actually 20 isn't too bad for around here and considering I don't get out as often as I'd like. It's a lot more than I normally get, but then again several of these I couldn't have found without the E-Trac. It has made a big difference in my finds.

That's why I want one, to wake up some of the parks I frequent..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer