Thread: New Garrett Pro Pointer

New Garrett Pro Pointer

Got my new Garrett Pro Pointer today very nice tool good build quality air tests great. Double the performance of my Whites BE II and nearly on par with the sunray DX-1 and dont have to worry about not turning the garrett back to the detector coil....done that a few times and dont find many targets LoL!!! Thanks to Robert at Deep Coin Detectors in Texas for the great price fast shipping and super service. Chris
    Loving my God, Being a husband and father, Detecting every chance I get!

Re: New Garrett Pro Pointer

That will be the next pinpointer i get. Seems like a very nice one especially for the price. I've Had 2 Vibra-Probes which i thought were over priced. They work ok but the first one lasted a year and the second about 3 months. The BEII works ok at first but seem to wear out pretty quickly. I always thought i liked the fact that the BEII had to be right on top of the target because i knew were it was at. I think i like the idea of the Propointer letting you know just how close you are to the target up to 3 or so. I think it would help some with not damaging coins.

For a hand-held pinpointer, the Garrett Pro Pointer is hard to beat. It's very sturdy, the battery lasts a long time, it's sensitive, and it is loud enough to hear when wearing earphones. In my opinion, it is far better than the White's Bullseye II. I have used the White's, and for me, there is no comparison. But...my detectors have always been White's, and always will be.
    Tomorrow should be a great day, provided nothing stops me from preventing it from not happening.

When I bought my V3i a Bullseye II came with the package. I currently use a vibra probe and I think it works well. especially when a new battery is put in. I haven't used the Bullseye yet, might not ever. Been thinking of selling it and getting one of those Garrett Pro Pointers. I have heard nothing but good about them. My hunting partner uses one and I can hear it(with my headphones on) quite a distance away. Have they done any upgrades to the Pro Pointer? I mean is there an earlier model that I might not want?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I just sent my Propointer in for service. I've had a Vibraprobe, a Merlin, Bullseye II, Harbor Freight pointer, DX-1 with my Whites DFX and probably a couple more that I've forgotten in the 35+ years I've been in this very interesting hobby we share but I won't be without my Garrett Propointer. I guess I'll have to try the Pistol Probe sometime but for now I'll use the Technetics that the wife has or her Propointer if I can sneak out with it. Just until my Garrett's getsback. They said it had a 3-year guarantee on it when I called Garrett. Good Luck with your Propointer, Chris.
    E-trac, Teknetics T2 SE, MXT, 6T.

"TODAY's THE DAY" Mel Fisher

I wouldn't be without my ProPointer, it's great. I'm hard of hearing and the vibration is all I need , especially when wearing my headphones.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Veteran Member

Its even better when you learn the nickel trick. Turn it on, slide a nickel (or any coin, really) up the side opposite the switch 'til it starts to beep, then slide the nickel back to opposite the switch so it stops beeping, and hold it there. You get even more range. This technique really works once you get the hang of it, and I've been using it alot in the dry dirt to save some time on really deep targets.

There is a link to a video on this site on how to do this, but hopefully the above is enough instruction. You can test this with air tests.

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=5733.msg72034#msg72034 date=1307878752
    Its even better when you learn the nickel trick. Turn it on, slide a nickel (or any coin, really) up the side opposite the switch 'til it starts to beep, then slide the nickel back to opposite the switch so it stops beeping, and hold it there. You get even more range. This technique really works once you get the hang of it, and I've been using it alot in the dry dirt to save some time on really deep targets.

There is a link to a video on this site on how to do this, but hopefully the above is enough instruction. You can test this with air tests.
    It's true, it works! I do it myself at times. Been thinking of gluing a coin in place, it's a pain to rummage through my finds to get one out, then place it somewhere I'll find it again when I get my shovel, then look for it again when I go back to the pointer
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=5733.msg73153#msg73153 date=1308757331
    It's true, it works! I do it myself at times. Been thinking of gluing a coin in place, it's a pain to rummage through my finds to get one out, then place it somewhere I'll find it again when I get my shovel, then look for it again when I go back to the pointer
    I read a post somewhere om-line where a THr cut a section of bicycle inner tube, slipped it over the butt of the ProPointer with the coin pressed underneath, and all he had to do was position it close to the threshold area, then use the elasticity of the rubber to find the chatter and then release to hold the coin at near threshold. Sounded pretty simple. martin

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=5733.msg72034#msg72034 date=1307878752

I will try this thumbsup01 I've been having issues w/mine lately. I thought battery was going low, but nope. I'm confused what is happening and why how the nickel/coin trick works?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrock link=topic=5733.msg70479#msg70479 date=1306347965
    For a hand-held pinpointer, the Garrett Pro Pointer is hard to beat. It's very sturdy, the battery lasts a long time, it's sensitive, and it is loud enough to hear when wearing earphones. In my opinion, it is far better than the White's Bullseye II. I have used the White's, and for me, there is no comparison. But...my detectors have always been White's, and always will be.
    Amen

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Love my Garrett PP.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE