Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitting the ocean....

Hitting the ocean....

Krom and I both have Wednesday off so we're going to visit a place just to drive around and see a huge park we'll be hitting in the spring. There's a little beach there as well....

Low tide will be cooperating with our arrival time. We're dropping our daughter off at school at 7:30 and we'll be hightailing it to the ocean. It's supposd to be mid 30s Wednesday, so it shouldn't be too bad...

I don't expect to find anything special. We're going down to check out the little beach, scope out the area and try to meet up with fluinc if his work schedule allows.

Long day at work today, then I gotta come home and get all my gear together.... now, where did I put my long johns?!

Re: Hitting the ocean....

Good luck to both of you, I'd take a beach hunt right about now lol Them temps must be a heat wave compared to what you have been getting?? Hope to see a nice diamond ring thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

now that we're snowed in for a while , we'll be doing some recon work for springtime hunting too. hey best of luck to ya both and dress warm.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It's always exciting to detect the beach at low tide. You never know what you will come across. Yeah, wear some thermals just in case the wind picks up. stretcher: Let us know how you do. Have fun!

We'll let you know.

Yup... a little bit of recon for the spring. We've never been to that park before. We just don't do much beach detecting. I stumbled across the land in my research this winter. I wonder if the wind has blown some of the snow off the ground... I might have to test and see how frozen the ground is if I can find shallow enough snow.

Just getting in from work and gotta prep. I still can't figure out where my long johns are, but I know where Krom's are! I'll just wear a pair of his. lol I got my pair of hand-knit wool socks that are at least 50 years old (thhey came from Prince Edward Island, made by an elderly lady and used by my step-father. I inherited them when he passed. Warm little buggers, they are!) But I need a pair of fishing gloves... t-shirt, tutleneck, swearshirt and a big guy's fleece jacket. That' ought to do me!

All I want is one piece of silver. All I expect pulltabs and clad, maybe a nail or two from a sunken ship... depending on how far out in that wet sand I can go with my MXT. The Eclipse 6X9DD coil should help.

Donna...they are forecasting NW winds of only 10 knots for tomorrow...but there could be some flurries so sounds like it may be an overcast day and 34 degrees. All in all, if you dress warm enough it should make for a good day at the beach. Good luck and hope you not only find some silver but some gold as well!!! thumbsup01

Thanks, IH. Too bad the early boat off the island is 10 AM. Would love to catch up with you as well.
    Ah, well... this spring we'll spend a weekend with ya. We're gonna try to get a Friday and Saturday off so we can go sight seeing on the island Friday before we invade your home. lol Saturday we'll detect and Sunday we'll recouperate and come home. That's the plan, anyway... just gotta get a long weekend off from work.

Oh... and lobster's on the menu for that night!

So... it was a beautiful day out there today!
    We went beach hopping and hit 4 beachers today.
    It appeared lots of things had been washed ashore.
    Krom and I picked up a fellow detectorist and headed to the ocean, where we later met up with flueinc.

We didn't find anything good, but the company was awesome!

Here are some pics from the day... and the junk Krom, myself and our friend found.

Oh, and flu... when we have more time to play, I'm going to take you up on your offer to try the e-trac! Thanks again!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images               

What .... NO GOLD?? Was hoping you two would pull a nice ring or at least some silver. But I'm envious that you got out to play!! It helped my withdrawals a bit lol

Terrific photos! Wow, that place looks great... I would love to have been with you! It does look cold though
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

It really wasn't too bad out there. We were dressed for it and the sun was warming. Krom even took his insulated plaid shirt/jacket type thing off. However, in the shade you could feel the cold.

There was soooo much stuff washed ashore, I couldn't believe it. Rocks and boulders and lobster traps, trap pieces, reflectors from whatever, boards/planks and some with nails in them... I found a few coins and lots of those clamp thingies in the bottom left of the pic.

we spent a good part of the time scanning an old beach that was just plain rocks and boulders .... that's where the spoon handle came from. THAT was a BEAUTIFUL area. We're going back there in the spring, for sure. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of that place for you all. I was too excited and busy. Next time.

Maybe after the next big storm we'll be able to get back down to the coast and see if it took some of the sand and junk away. January Thaw has to be coming soon!

OH!!!! Krom found this thing .... we don't know what it is.... it's to the right of the spoon handle in the finds pic...

Krom also found this at the rocky beach.... we don't kow what it is.
    It's 5/8's of an inch wide (a dime is bigger at 11/16's), and it's half the thickness of a dime.
    Looks like it could be silver?

Those are two nice finds. That last one could be Spanish silver if it's silver at all. Boy the salt and sand kill them finds Now I'm gonna stare at that disc until I see what I want lol

Beautiful beach. Looks like a fun hunt. Those last 2 pics look interesting. I'll be curious to see if anyone can figure out what they are.

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES, BEAUTIFUL BEACH!!

Looks like you let it cleaner than it was! WTG!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

thats looks like a very good time to me Donna , the pictures are great . thats a great looking beach .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great photos, Donna! That beach looks like a great place to spend time detecting. I do think that last item is silver, though it sure has taken a beating.

Hey Donna, I'm pretty sure you got a Mercury there. The picture on the right half is the obverse. You can see miss Liberty facing left and especially her neck area.Compare it with a photo. It looks like you got it positioned perfect. The picture on the left side is the reverse and needs to be rotated counter clockwise about 1/8 of an inch. Then it looks like the banded rods with the executioner's axe on it. To the left of the rods is the greenery especially heavy around the mid point. It lines up pretty well. I told you if I stared at it long enough I'd make it fit lol Seriously, I think it's a Merc.

Yeah, the beach where the silver Krom found is definitely a spot to revisit in the spring.
    It certainly has taken a beating from the water/waves/rocks/boulders.
    I can't wait to get to the grass areas.

Sure does look like a Merc now that you mention it, coinnut.
    You've done better than I ... my eyes begin to hurt after a couple minutes!
    It's so thin and small, though. So WEIRD!
    At least we know there's some silver lurking. C'Mon Spring!