Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitting the ocean....

Re: Hitting the ocean....

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Donna, I'm pretty sure you got a Mercury there. I told you if I stared at it long enough I'd make it fit lol Seriously, I think it's a Merc.
    Donna i think George is right , only because he's the authority on mutilated dug up ugly silver coins lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Thanks, IH. Too bad the early boat off the island is 10 AM. Would love to catch up with you as well.
    Ah, well... this spring we'll spend a weekend with ya. We're gonna try to get a Friday and Saturday off so we can go sight seeing on the island Friday before we invade your home. lol Saturday we'll detect and Sunday we'll recouperate and come home. That's the plan, anyway... just gotta get a long weekend off from work.

Oh... and lobster's on the menu for that night!
    Donna...you guys are welcome anytime, especially now that I know you are bringing lobster with ya!!! J/k.....I'll be sure to have some of those salt water cockroaches for you and Joe to feast on. I'll have a kettle full of bugs so we can have some left over for lobster and cheese omelettes for breakfast. I;ll also pick out a bunch of crabs so we can have crabmeat sandwiches for lunch. Oh..and the first boat off the island on sundays is at 8 not 10. Its at 6:40 a.m. all other days.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhunter View Post
    Donna...you guys are welcome anytime, especially now that I know you are bringing lobster with ya!!! J/k.....I'll be sure to have some of those salt water cockroaches for you and Joe to feast on. I'll have a kettle full of bugs so we can have some left over for lobster and cheese omelettes for breakfast. I;ll also pick out a bunch of crabs so we can have crabmeat sandwiches for lunch. Oh..and the first boat off the island on sundays is at 8 not 10. Its at 6:40 a.m. all other days.
    Well that's ONE way to make lobster unappealing! Thanks a lot!
    I know you do some lobstering, but we don't mind buying them fresh from the boat.

Lobster omlets for breakfast? ICK! ... I'll take a mimosa... lol

We're planning on it this year, Bill. We've been trying to do this for 2 years now.
    Every time we try to do something we get pulled away. It's time to do a little sight seeing.
    Let's walk to Little Chebeague Island at low tide.... just don't get us stuck over there overnight!

Oh, I don't know. A lobby omlet sounds awesome!

This week at work has been yucky for me. Things are good, all my numbers are WAY in line, etc.... bringing in a nice black number for the company for the month...
    but there are some aspects of my job that are just simply trying. Honestly... I can't even begin to understand the thought processes of some people.

It started Monday... I was calling another store's customers by tapping in via the network. My first call was horrific.
    I got off the phone, let out a big sigh and said almost under my breath, I need a sick day.
    Well, the boss heard me. He asked me about my time and he looked up my time off.
    He inquired with me and I told him I don't take time off unless it's planned, and I always come in even if I'm sick.
    He told me to take a sick day. I told him no, I plan my sick days. He told me to get out and take a break from the place. I told him I'd plan some time, but I've already got the first weekend in Feb. off for my birthday (making a 3-day weekend, Sat-Mon).

So today, I get to work, unlock the door and when I open it, the alarm is going off and the phone is ringing.
    One guy called in because his babysitter backed out on him, but he'd be in... I'm sick, can't get away from the bathroom... So I tell him to stay home. No prob. We can handle it. After bickering back and forth I told him to just stay home, it'd be fine. If you're sick, you're sick. Then the boss calls. He might not make it in. Pipes froze... I told him the situation, what we had for the day and how I'd handle it so he could stay home and take care of his situation, not a prob. Under control. There are 4 employees at that location (including the boss, so now 50% of the workforce is out). Boss comes in about noon, reviews my plans, says how easy he has it because the two of us that WERE there know what we're doing (the two of us that WERE there have both run stores before, and we're training this new boss)... I walk away.... can't stand it when someone tries to blow smoke up my butt.

So the boss and I are there and he starts talking about time off, how he doesn't mind blah, blah...
    I told him I'm always there, any time off I take is always planned, and he wasn't going to convince me to call in sick just so I could go bask in the sun.... so he mentions tomorrow..... gonna be 40 degrees. I told him I'd love to be at the ocean, but I'd be there instead. He told me to call in sick. No. Back and forth we go.... Ya know what? I've got days I have to use by March.... so, I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow. Krom and I are headed for the ocean first thing in the morning. It'll be high tide, but oh well.... it's time out in warm temps! Looking forward to relaxing a bit.

I hope you get to relax a bit. Jobs are so stressful sometimes. And as for some people?? I'd rather talk to my cat lol Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the day!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thanks, coinnut. Flueinc just called us so Krom's talking to him on the phone now.
    We're gonna drop our daughter off at school and head down, grab a bite on the way...
    prolly grab a bite on the way home and get takeout for our daughter.

I'll be sure to snag some pics for everyone.

Good for you Snowy...hope you find gold.... the relaxation will be great, but a super find would really top it off. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I had a good day today. The ocean always makes me smile, and it was perfect... that song came on the radio as we approached it. I've always loved the ocean, even as a child. I can smell it long before it's even in sight.

I've got some pics and a story to share with you, but in the meantime, I'll share this stupid video (unedited) of us approaching Old Orchard Beach.

Drive down Old Orchard Street

I haven't been to Old Orchard Beach in I don't know when. Probably the same amount of time for York Beach too lol I guess I need to get out more Glad you two had a good day out!!!

OK... let's give this a shot....
    Here are the pics.... Angellionel showed me how to post like this, so it's his fault! lol
    We're approaching our exit on I95.
    We get off the exit and hit Old Orchard Street.

Krom and I detected for a while before flueinc caught up with us.
    Krom is on the left and flue is on the right.

Flueinc had a friend for a while. This seagull (see him to the right in the picture?)
    kept following flue around like he was picking up food from the sand!

We took a break to put something in our growling stomaches and use the rest room. Flueinc got called to work while we were eating so Krom and I headed back to the shore for a little more detecting. These horses were feeling their oats out there on the beach.

I found this earring and these dog tags today.

[size=13pt]So here's the story......
    On the way home I grabbed a pen and paper,
    then called the phone number on the tag
    with the name Sam on it.
    A gentleman answers. Hello, sir. I found a tag
    with this phone number on it.
    &quotH, WOW! There is a stainless steel tag,
    and there was at least one other tag we lost! he said.
    I thought we had lost that forever!
    That belonged to Sam, and the other tag we lost
    was his 2010 license tag.
    I told the gentleman I had found both tags,
    one with Sam's name, and the other in the shape
    of the state of Maine with 2010 on it.
    I asked him how long ago he might have lost
    the tags and he said it had to have been
    within the last few weeks.

Sam has since passed away.
    The gentleman was grateful and offered to
    come pick up the tags, but I told him where we live
    and said I'd be happy to get them
    in the mail to him tomorrow.

I had a GREAT day today, even though I am saddened to learn of Sam's passing.
    The gentleman I spoke with on the phone said they had tried to get Sam's tags replaced
    but the place was all out of stainless steel tags at the time.
    He said a few times he thought they'd never see those tags again.

When I was a very young girl, younger than 6, we had a golden retriever in the family named Sam.
    Sam would always play with us and watch out for us,
    and if we were ever in trouble and needed help,
    Sam would bark and go get the adults. I was running around barefoot one time
    and drove a spike through my foot. Sam ran to the house and barked at the door,
    then ran to me when my grandmother opened the door. Sam was one of the best dogs I ever knew.
    God rest his soul, and God rest the soul of the Sam I never had the chance to meet.

Here's my loot for the day. I had a great vacation day today.

Well, you thought you were going to have a good day? I'd say you had a great one thumbsup01 Well except for all those pull tabs lol I see we were searching for gold, were we?

Yeah, I was, coinnut.... I had to give up after a while....
    And all those BEAVERTAILS! OMG!!!!

It was pulltab city out there today. I managed 3 quarters and 3 pennies. Haven't even checked them yet. They're corroded pretty bad.

Yup. It was a good day!

(EDIT: I just went to check my coins and Krom already tossed them in the clad jar thinking I had already checked them )

Bad Joe Bad Joe There! I took care of it for you Donna lol

From the photos it sure does look like the weather was great too. No doubt it was fun being out there. Very nice photos too. thumbsup01

wow Donna , very nice story about the day you all had cool way to post the pictures and text . it does look like a great day to be out working that beach .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks! Yeah, we were there from 9:30 to about 1:30. We got home shortly after 3. We wanted to stay but it's a drive home and it tires you after being in the sun. On the way home we saw a bank clock read 44 degrees. Sunday is supposed to halfway decent so we might go again. Not sure. The sun was almost hot on my back today.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo S

From the land of the Bluenose.....hope Snowy they were fur lined long johns that you found!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Bad Joe Bad Joe There! I took care of it for you Donna lol
    Wouldn't be hard to check 'em, still, CN. My first year detecting, I filled that jar.
    This year it got to half way before I had to tumble 'em and tube & cash 'em.
    Right now it's only an inch deep.
    No matter. I usually check th' coins real good before they go in there and after they're tumbled.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yea Joe, My jar was pretty empty for the modern stuff. I started to tumble my change from the last 10 years or so, and only had around $125.00. I don't find that much modern coinage. I guess I need to hit the playgrounds and ski slopes lol