Thread: Resource anyone can use for finding new spots

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

Resource anyone can use for finding new spots

From the land of the Bluenose......most folks think that research is the key to finding new spots. Used to do it that way hitting the local library and archives only to find a spot....that is developed or under concrete.

Found that the best way is word of mouth and that can be done by anyway who...............is willing to listen. Visit a nursing home, hospital or just sit down and talk to the older members in the community. Doesn't cost you anything and you will be amazed at what you learn besides the fact that this forgotten generation lived through some historical times, did the dew and have no one to tell. Go out and make a friend!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Re: Resource anyone can use for finding new spots

Couldn't agree more. They are a great sorce of information. But you have to ask lots of questions.... sometimes they can mix up places I've gone on a couple of wild goose chases in my day lol But they know of places that are not in any books or on any maps. Thanks for the tip leslie. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Very good advice. It will provide some good information, but might also get you permission to hunt some private property you otherwise might not have had access to
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Excellent point Leslie, and I have utilized our seniors several times. Besides being a fountain of great stories and information, they are fun to talk to and they enjoy the company. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

Absolutely the best source for old and useful info...

You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    But you have to ask lots of questions.... sometimes they can mix up places
    You mean the second big rock past the old Oak tree at the end of the wooden fence isn't good enough for you? lol This may not be what you mean, as far as mixing up places, but made me laugh to remember being given directions like these...

Thanks for this tidbit Leslie, I like the idea of visiting nursing homes for opportunities and just to chat too... I've always bonded with older folks, love to hear stories of way back when.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I printed out some flyers and made some business cards. I always have some with me when I go detecting. Lots of times in the woods, people are walking down the trails and stop to chat with me. We talk about what I've been finding and the history of the site. I always hand out the flyers and cards. 3 weeks ago, an older couple I met a few months back called and wanted me to come detect around their barn. It was built in the 1740s, burnt down in the 1780s and rebuilt on the same footprint in 1800. I brought a nice bottle of wine to them as a thank you when I went to detect. I stayed for a few hours and found a few coins, relics and a silver ring. The woman who owns the place liked the ring so I gave it to her. The woods in the back are pretty overgrown right now, but they said Im welcome back anytime. I plan on going back in the fall. They also got me permission to hunt 2 other houses in the area. Both built in the 1700s. Lots of history here. Talking to people wherever you go about this hobby will pay off. <:
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Great Suggestion!!

Business cards are terrific. I finally had some more printed up this week. They are relatively cheap, and
    often make the difference when it comes to getting access to sites. When I found a place I wanted to detect I would either send a short note with a card or knock on the door, explain why I wanted to hunt, handed them my card, and told them to think about it. Then I might call back a few days later.

I have also added my website to the new card so they an get an understanding of what this pastime is all about.
    You can never have too many pugs....

Veteran Member

i agree that talking to old folks can really provide insight to things that were.. i just found a racetrac located 10 miles from my house that was built in 1958 and closed in 1992. just a 1/4 mile dirt track BUT . some of the movie greased lighning was filmed there in the 70's. its athens speedway if you want to look at it online . current pics and all . im going there soon
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me