Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: second day of E-Trac silver

  1. #1

    second day of E-Trac silver

    Today was my second day out with my E-Trac. I pulled a few bucks in clad and a silver St. Michael medal. These were the only old finds so far , and these are UGLY!

    From left to right is a Merc , Wheat, Wheat. Pre and post cleaning pics are same order. Notice the rust in the corrosion on the Merc. These are the coins after 6 hours of tumbling. I couldn't get the crud off with a brass brush, much less with my fingers.

    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

    Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

    http://www.thesilverfiend.com

  2. #2
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    OMG! You weren't kidding, that is the worst looking merc I have ever seen come out of the ground! I'm really curious... what FE and CO numbers did that hit at?

    It cleaned up nice though
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  3. #3

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Wow! I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my finds after seeing these. Nice catch!
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

  4. #4

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    I don't remember the pennies, but the merc was a SOLID 12-42. It may have shifted a point or two, one swing out of ten, but 12-42 was the main number.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

    Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

    http://www.thesilverfiend.com

  5. #5

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    Wow! I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my finds after seeing these. Nice catch!
    Well, my first thought was a crudy old penny, but then I remembered the FeCo numbers and thought that shouldn't be copper that high up. I picked at the edge until I saw the reeding.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

    Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

    http://www.thesilverfiend.com

  6. #6
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I don't remember the pennies, but the merc was a SOLID 12-42. It may have shifted a point or two, one swing out of ten, but 12-42 was the main number.
    Wow.... a solid 12-42 and it was a rusty merc.

    I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture now
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  7. #7

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    That merc sure had some rust on it. It did clean up fairly well though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Wow.... a solid 12-42 and it was a rusty merc.

    I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture now
    Not from me. I'm zipping up.

  8. #8

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Well if he won't lecture you, I will! You've got to dig those 12-39 through 12-47 numbers, especially if they've got any depth to them.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

  9. #9
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    Well if he won't lecture you, I will! You've got to dig those 12-39 through 12-47 numbers, especially if they've got any depth to them.
    OMG! Have you two been talking?

    Thanks for sharing that Jason. That is definitely a good lesson. Glad you took the time to look at it and clean it up... I would probably have just chucked it over my shoulder in frustration Great find!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  10. #10

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    OK, after seeing your replies I went and played with the emulator a bit. I think my ID numbers were coming in a couple points low on everything at this site. This is a VERY trashy site. I even emailed Okie Digger about my constant nulling to see if something was wrong with my machine. Even my clad dimes were coming in at the 42 range in Co.

    There used to be a large number of detectorists here in town during the 70's and 80's. There was even a local club here. I know that every school and park have been hunted HARD, so to pull these old coins, from ground loaded with iron, I think is saying a lot about the E-Trac.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

    Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

    http://www.thesilverfiend.com

  11. #11
    Owner/Administrator Epi-hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,439

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    OK, after seeing your replies I went and played with the emulator a bit. I think my ID numbers were coming in a couple points low on everything at this site. This is a VERY trashy site. I even emailed Okie Digger about my constant nulling to see if something was wrong with my machine. Even my clad dimes were coming in at the 42 range in Co.

    There used to be a large number of detectorists here in town during the 70's and 80's. There was even a local club here. I know that every school and park have been hunted HARD, so to pull these old coins, from ground loaded with iron, I think is saying a lot about the E-Trac.
    It does say a lot about the E-trac. And a lot about how fast you have picked it up... only the second time out!

    Clad dimes come in for me often at 42-43, usually hit 44 though. I am not surprised that corroded dime came in lower than what might otherwise be expected.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250


  12. #12

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Wow I have never seen a silver coin look anything like that around here! It must have been bathing in rust!

  13. #13

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Mostly my clad shows up looking like yours all rusted and pitted but I have been lucky with the silver. Maine is tough on coins.
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member SeabeeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: second day of E-Trac silver

    Looks like you are enjoying the E-Trac Jason!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •